Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Duathlon Nationals
Quote | Reply
Those were here in cincy today. I was schocked with the field, a big total of 12 men, 6 women and a few juniors, 1 female and like 3 guys. What's is up with that? it was really fun to watch though especially since our friend Tim won here. Nobody knows who he is but he is a stud! But anyway, why is the field so small? Everybody was so nice...
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying less than thirty competitors total?!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Duathlon Nationals [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, definitly. I'd say 24-25
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What are Duathlon "Nationals"?
http://www.usatriathlon.org/...uathlonNationals.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The national duathlon championship? With prize money and qualifier for australia worlds I guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh yes, definitly. I'd say 24-25
I guess you mean pros, because there were many more age groupers as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the age group race is tomorrow morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, probably only about 25 or so combined pro and elite juniors. Why? well first of all there really aren't that many pro duathletes in the country. A lot of triathletes just don't want to do a duathlon. Part of this is because people can go and just "finish" a triathlon, but in duathlons, everyone is "racing". Duathlons are just plain harder, mile for mile then a triathlon.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because they know if they go to Oz Benny will smoke them!

I guess a fews guys and girls probably did the long course Worlds a few weeks ago as well so would have been AWOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did Kimberly Hager do? Where are the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She got fourth:-) i think she was happy with that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truer words have rarely been spoken.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from Duathlon nationals and what a great event it was. (I'm pictured wearing the yellow shirt with zero clue of what to do with the champane bottle). Yes the pro field was small but very competitive and todays age group race had an annouced 330 athletes. The weather was quite warm and very humid on both days, although I think it may have been a little worse for the pro's on Saturday as we raced at 4 pm.

1. Tim Menoher
2. Eric Schwartz
3. Peter Watson
4. Tom Jeffrey
5. Jay Cech

I can give a quick race recap. First run 10km on a 3 loop course and the mens pro field seperated after 2 laps and strung out with Tim hitting the first transition about 10 seconds up on me and then Erik Swartz following another 10 seconds or so. We grouped up quickly on the bike (draft legal) and worked well together holding off Tom jeffery who was stuck in the wind all by himself but trying very hard to get contact with us. The bike course was 8 loops (40km) that snaked around mason high school. At 6 1/2 laps I started to cramp in my hamstring and relaized I needed to start drinking but that quickly made me ill and I threw up. Going into the transition i was really cramping up bad and when I reached down to unbuckle my shoe on the bike my hamstring really seized up and changing shoes in the transition I was very careful. Tim and Erik got out of transition quickly and looked very strong as I was quickly gapped and reduced to a shuffle. I was cramping and by 2km I was vomitting while trying to hold off Tom Jeffery who was quickly gaining on me. Up front Tim gapped Erik and ran in for the victory and by all accounts he looked very very strong. The best man did win today. Meanwhile I was doing my all to finish in the medals and was able to hold on for third. Afterwards I was in bad shape cramped and ill but honestly it was a blast. It had been some time since I had given an effort like that.

It was a great weekend and I look forward to going back next year.

Pete

2005 3rd place duathlon nationals

http://www.runpistol.com
Last edited by: coloradopete77: Jun 12, 05 20:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are near Ottawa this saturday, we are having the Canadian Du championships!

www.somersault.ca Under the Riverkeeper tag

Come check it out and there are other Tri/Du events going on so you can watch the "pros" and do a race in the same day!

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't help that Long Course Duathlon Worlds was just a week ago (two weeks?) or so...that probably kept some of the top folks from doing the short course nats.
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For information...the LONG COURSE DUATHLON NATIONALS will be in August, just down the road from this weekend's festivities...

For those unfamiliar with Duathlon distances...long course is 5.5mi/56mi/13.1mi or roughly the duathlon equivalent of a 1/2 Ironman...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to Du Nats results. Some impressive times given some challenging conditions.

http://www.usatriathlon.com/Events/DuathlonNationals/DuathlonNationalsResults.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [JW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent.

"CDW", Slowtwitch member, Marine, and arch-race-rival is Male 30-34 AG National Champion. Congrats Chad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other reason is that swimming is fun for some people and once you remove that element, it isn't as fun.

I've done several duathlons and after every one I tell myself I won't do another, simply because I find the event not very interesting. They can make for nice training days sometimes though.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this thinking, but why run twice when you could swim instead?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian,

We've been on vacation for the last week and haven't been in touch.

It was a great race and very well run. LtCol. Maxwell told me that HFP put on a very good race and I was impressed. The second 5K actually turned around in a different place to make up for the extra distance we ran on the track at the end. Most RDs would just let you run the extra distance. The ride was about a mile or so long and very tough in the same vein as PM N.C. with endless rolling hills.

Most impressive though was the competition. There were more than 30 athletes who finished within five minutes after me. Thirty seconds or a minute made a pretty big difference in your final placing.

The only thing to mar the experience for me was the huge group that formed up about 15 miles into the bike. I tried to hang far enough off the back to keep it legal and they eventually left me behind. Just after that an official jumped on them and handed out most of the penalties in the race. Not as many as benefited from the pack riding, but at least some justice was done.

I think I read it will be there again next year and if so, I would highly recommend it.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think I read it will be there again next year and if so, I would highly recommend it."

That's good news...a little birdie told me yesterday that I'm almost certain to stay where I am for the next 3.5 years. So I've got that going for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a website or link for the Long Course Duathlon Nationals?
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [antbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.hfpracing.com/ should get you to the site.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to take exception to the comment that duathlon is harder, everyone's there to race, and they're too hard for people to do.

First, most duathlons are short, most of the guys I know do very well on very minimal training. Very focused, lot's of speedwork, but not many miles. Triathlon adds a whole new element, not only do you have a 3rd sport, but the distances vary much more. There's just a ton more to think about and to have to do in training. Once you start getting into 1/2 IM and full IM training, there's nothing more difficult.

I agree with more with Justin in OK, that they're more boring and I think most people look at them as training and B/C races anyway.

Besides chicks dig triathletes.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply

Prev Next