Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dry eyes when cycling- recommended eyewear?
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping someone has a great suggestion/solution for me- I had Lasik done many years ago and since then have had a big problem with my eyes drying out while cycling (to the point of not being able to see), especially in 'colder' (ie. below 20 Celsius) weather. I have sunglasses with the foam around the edges, but they don't stand up to the test in cool weather or long rides. I have used swim goggles too, but they fog up after about 15 minutes, so constantly switching between goggles and sunglasses is a hassle and not really an option.
Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a pair of sunglasses that work?

Any suggestions appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Dry eyes when cycling- recommended eyewear? [kristenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have sensitive eyes as well and found Oakley M frames to provide more wind protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Alpina Twist Five qvm+ which has 100% UVA/UVB protection, and polarization. What's even better is that the ear pieces are adjustable (Maybe a 5 position ratchet) to bring the bottom edge of the lense closer to your cheekbones. The ratchet Also, the nose piece is adjustable. Widening them lets you get the whole lense a bit closer to your eyes. There is going to be more airflow than with the foamed glasses you now have, but of course less than your swim goggles. They have never fogged on me yet either.

What I do to reduce some of the wind entering from over the top of the lenses during colder weather (0C-10C) is to wear a thin beanie draped just over the frame. Sure, it slightly blocks vision, but it's only a tad.

Another good thing about these glasses is they have a hydrophobic coating on the external lense, so water beads off really well. At home, I keep them scratch free and spotless with a shaving brush and dish soap. Then I simply blow the water droplets off the lense without having to use a microfiber cloth or a nasty shirt that leaves the lense smeared with a mix of sweat, road grime, leftover laundry detergent and who knows what else. I got mine for about $300 when they first came out, but I just checked online and saw them for sale for about $150. Best $300 I've spent.

https://www.alpina-sports.com/...hr-black-matt-qvmrb/

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One option is to go with a helmet with a high-coverage visor, like the Giro Vanquish or Aerohead.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply