Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC
Quote | Reply
So over in the Melissa is going to walk her ironman run, the thread took off on one of the usual, or really unusual tangents. The topic morphed into Chuckie V's DQ one year at hawaii for drinking a beer. Actually more than a DQ, but a one year suspension i believe. And of course there are folks coming down on both sides, one is what a mockery he was making of the race, the others just saying it was all in fun. Couple stories from the old days before that time in that theme;

First was related to me one year in the mid 80's. I had done the race a 1/2 dozen times or so, and this was when there were a lot of folks at the Kawai hai turn, about 35 miles into the race, and about 80 coming home. It was kind of like the TDF climbs you see today, a lot of people on the road, running up that hill, and yelling for the athletes. So this year i though i would give them a little giggle, some entertainment while they swelter all day in that 100 degree heat. I prearranged with a buddy of mine to be at that aid station and hand me up a can of Budweiser. I was in the lead mens pack at the time, and i grabbed it and downed it right in front of the crowd, crushed the can in my hands and said something like real men drink beer, not gatorade.. Only thing was that the can was full of water, but the crowd roared with delight when they thought someone in the lead pack was actually drinking beer during this race.

After the race an official came up to me and said i was DQ'ed for this. I explained about the water and that it was at an aid station where we were allowed to take handups from anyone, but he didn't care to hear it. Since i did not actually finish that race, i didn't push it any further, as what was the point.

Second story is from 81 and is about a 73 year old guy named Walt Stack. He was one of the real bad ass MF'ers of that early ironman era. In his ABC Wide World of sports interview, he talked about how he didn't do too much, just a daily 15 to 20 mile run, 15 to 20 on the bike, and swim for an hour or so, not much really he would say. He was a veteran of several 100 and 50 mile runs, and probably did over a 100 marathons. It really was a great interview, and the guy asked him if he was going to have a beer after this ironman thingy was all over. He chuckles and says, " I expect to have quite a few beers, but before it is over". So the next day we are all having breakfast and he comes old Walt, 27 hours later, drinking a beer and a shot of bourbon every mile of the last 10k or so. They made a big deal out of that, it was an interesting story from a real charcter, and as you can see, he is in the offical results and holds the record for the longest offical ironman finish..

SO i guess my question is, are these days of fun and hyjinks over for ever? Are we so PC now that nothing can slip through the cracks? I understand the rules and all, in my case i was careful not to break any of them, but that did not matter. Just the appearance of breaking a rule was enough. Am I just an old coot that longs for the good ole' days??(retorical of course, we all know that answer)
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

SO i guess my question is, are these days of fun and hyjinks over for ever?

Well, to some degree, maybe yes.

That 'impossible ... is redefined' thread is a depressing read.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 24, 12 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like it or not Kona today and Kona in the 80's is a completely different animal. It no longer owned by a person, but a financial entity. Its no longer grassroots, but a World Champs.

So yeah I think the era of Cowman and bandits and beer hand ups by your buddies are gone. But it doesn't have to be gone from tri. Lots of events still have a lower key vibe. TTT in Ohio comes to mind others will chime in with lots more.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love your story about the Bud. Interesting that they DQ'd you, since Dave Scott and Mark Allen used to have Bud Light and other beer sponsorships plastered all over them. Even today, the Raelerts race with Erdinger sponsorship (and I'm sure some other athletes have alcohol-related sponsorship, but the Raelerts are the most prominent).

Maybe the biggest issue for WTC is the legal one of open alcohol in public? But that's minor, and rarely enforced. Plus, Ben King drank a beer on the final climb of last year's USAC Road Nationals on his way to the win, and no one took action against it...
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [JWL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely you can see a difference between wearing a budlight jersey and actually consuming beer during a race. If not Ford sponsered the race for years, but I don't think they should allow cars instead of bikes ;-).

The whole corporate race thing is why I rarely race in WTC events. I'm shocked that anyone is shocked that they don't allow lots of stunt type stuff.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
The whole corporate race thing is why I rarely race in WTC events. I'm shocked that anyone is shocked that they don't allow lots of stunt type stuff.

I'm not shocked about it, but I think it's kind of sad. Switching Kona from private ownership to WTC has turned Ironman into a commodity, which is far from how it began.

Spend enough money, show off your cool gear, ignore your spouse and kids for three hours each day, and you too can become an Ironman! (You can even permanently brand yourself with the logo of a corporation once you've done it!)
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrel and I agree on something.
this means something

don't know what!

styrrell wrote:
Surely you can see a difference between wearing a budlight jersey and actually consuming beer during a race. If not Ford sponsered the race for years, but I don't think they should allow cars instead of bikes ;-).

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even many the local events have changed. In the 80's there was lots of beer at the post-race parties, now not so much. Society is a lot more uptight about alcohol especially when most folks are getting into cars afterwards. There are also a lot of the recovering addicts and alcoholics taking up the sport and the presence of alcohol may be a big issue for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(You can even permanently brand yourself with the logo of a corporation once you've done it!)

Not at a tat shop in Kona, I believe they got cease and desist orders last year.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are now a grumpy old man who says "I remember when..." "Back in the old days..."

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, I too fear that many of those moments are gone from IM - like Don Wildman paying the local Kona radio station to play a list of songs at the exact hours he expected to be on his bike so he could just tune his am/fm head set to that station and not have to deal with flipping a cassette on his Walkman. But I don't think those moments of fun are gone from triathlon in general.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance drank champagne on the Champs Elysees
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those were some refreshing stories! i'm not joking!

that is the lifestyle i choose to live by. i don't think all this uptight BS crap should be what it is now.

i love to go out there and hammer myself into the ground. i love to win, i love to be out there with others that love to win. but let's face it, if it isn't fun i don't think there is a real reason to put up with the crap.

I will say this is starting to be more of a society issue than just triathlon, but i'll keep this on track.

I stopped doing WTC events (that weren't free to me) over a year ago. sure they got their money from me, but they won't be getting any more.

this isn't only a WTC issue as we've been told at bike races now "no alcohol" after the races. really? come on! i'm not a drunk i don't have beer or drinks that often. i do however enjoy an ice cold beverage on occasion. a lot of those occasions happen to fall right after a hard effort at a sporting event of some kind.

beer has been around for trillions of years (ok not quite trillions yet...) and it's going to be around for a few more.

loosen up i say, have some fun.

i know beer isn't the only way to have fun.......

Tim

(i got distracted while typing this so i'm not sure what it says anymore)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JWL wrote:
Love your story about the Bud. Interesting that they DQ'd you, since Dave Scott and Mark Allen used to have Bud Light and other beer sponsorships plastered all over them. Even today, the Raelerts race with Erdinger sponsorship (and I'm sure some other athletes have alcohol-related sponsorship, but the Raelerts are the most prominent).

Maybe the biggest issue for WTC is the legal one of open alcohol in public? But that's minor, and rarely enforced. Plus, Ben King drank a beer on the final climb of last year's USAC Road Nationals on his way to the win, and no one took action against it...

on the running portion yes. but on the bike portion it is flat out against the law. we are riding (driving) a form of transportation recognized by the law. we have to obey all traffic laws....i know in a race roads are closed, etc. but it always states in the absence on police or blockade you must obey all traffic laws. so technically it is drinking and driving. I DON"T AGREE but that is the law and we have way to many people crying all the time about everything...a perfect example was on the Good Morning America show today...everyone is up in arms about Tide making these "single serving" packets you can throw into the wash...apparently they look like candy (they don't but whatever) and kids are eating them....so now all these people are getting on to the manufactures about changing them and saying this is a travisty!!!! are you kidding me?! put it out of reach of small children, lock that shit up. holy crap ignorant people drive me crazy....and yes I know I suck at spelling and recognize the irony.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not advocating the drinking WHILE racing. though i have done a beer mile in 6:44 :)

so what if someone wears a stupid outfit or grabs a beer offered by a spectator while cracking during the run. riding a bike and drinking, to the point of being legally drunk, i agree, bad form.

but laws and rules and all this talk of it are really bumming me out. now i want to get into a lavender room rant about the BS i have to deal with everyday.

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
not advocating the drinking WHILE racing. though i have done a beer mile in 6:44 :)

so what if someone wears a stupid outfit or grabs a beer offered by a spectator while cracking during the run. riding a bike and drinking, to the point of being legally drunk, i agree, bad form.

but laws and rules and all this talk of it are really bumming me out. now i want to get into a lavender room rant about the BS i have to deal with everyday.

Tim

color me impressed

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh-oh, mention of Tide single-serving detergent packets indicates to me that this thread might devolve quickly into a broader "era of PC" discussion, so I'm going to attempt to get it back on track...

Sure, there are events (like Savageman and many others that I probably don't know about) that allow this stuff, and IMHO it adds a lot to the culture of the event, and of triathlon more generally. In my view, these are great races.

The problem, for me, is finding these types of races and also being able to race really great competition. I love the spontaneity of these stunts, but I also train because I want to race against the world's best. I imagine this is the case not just for elites, but age groupers, who want to see where they stack up against others, etc. And there really aren't races (that I know of) that have great competition and still allow this stuff.

Maybe that's because the two are mutually exclusive? Is it simply impossible to scale up and institutionalize something as wonderful and crazy as the early days of Ironman without making it a commodity? Very open question, I think...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JWL wrote:
Uh-oh, mention of Tide single-serving detergent packets indicates to me that this thread might devolve quickly into a broader "era of PC" discussion, so I'm going to attempt to get it back on track...

Sure, there are events (like Savageman and many others that I probably don't know about) that allow this stuff, and IMHO it adds a lot to the culture of the event, and of triathlon more generally. In my view, these are great races.

The problem, for me, is finding these types of races and also being able to race really great competition. I love the spontaneity of these stunts, but I also train because I want to race against the world's best. I imagine this is the case not just for elites, but age groupers, who want to see where they stack up against others, etc. And there really aren't races (that I know of) that have great competition and still allow this stuff.

Maybe that's because the two are mutually exclusive? Is it simply impossible to scale up and institutionalize something as wonderful and crazy as the early days of Ironman without making it a commodity? Very open question, I think...

didn't mean to thread jack....just really pissed me off this morning...

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed, there are two types of races in my book

those that your main goal is to crush dreams
fun only races.

the ONLY difference for me is whether i look at the clock at the end or not.

beers still flow after each and laughter and smiles and pats on the back to all who come out and have a blast.

THAT is what i'm looking for in races

think how many folks would stick around for the awards ceremonies....... how many sponsors would get their recognition. the race shouldn't be THE event, it should be the warm up for the party!

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking beer, Chuckie V, and the era of PC [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wildflower aid station....2012!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the big deal about having a beer in the first place. I couldn't stomach it myself during a race. But if someone wants to, why the hell not? It's not illegal to have a beer in a park. People do it all of the time. I especially don't get the prudish behavior of not allowing it during a closed-course, no traffic. Rules are rules, I guess.

(Possibly there's the "bikes are vehicles, therefore don't drink and drive" aspect. But it seems to me that some common sense and good natured fun should be allowed.)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it Monty! I wish they'd bring back more of this stuff, racing in speedos, timing popsicle sticks, $20 sprint triathlons with no T-shirt, but most importantly,

Original grape Gatorade. That stuff was amazing, even if it did twist your guts up.

"On the Road with Chuckie V"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drafting is against the rules. Old-timers may have drunk an occasional beer on the course, but they never sucked wheel like today's competitors.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 24, 12 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"SO i guess my question is, are these days of fun and hyjinks over for ever? Are we so PC now that nothing can slip through the cracks?"

Well I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of cracks are involved...

;-))
Quote Reply

Prev Next