Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After that swim, I think there's a realistic chance he becomes the first to break not only :40.00 in the 100 free, but also :39.00.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the misfire on the first video.

It’s up now

Instagram

MyMainSet

Daved
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How dominant a swim was that 17.63 in the 50? There were 1.01 seconds between Dressel and 2nd place. 1.00 seconds was the difference between 2nd and 40th.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 22, 18 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even more absurd live. Just impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was warming down from my prelims 200 IM at that pool in 2005, when everybody stopped to watch Freddy Bousquet go 18 for the first time after 20 years of guys knocking on that door. It felt like my face melted witnessing that swim.

For Dressel to take another whole damn second off in 13 years just boggles the mind. Sometimes I feel like I swam yesterday, but today I didn’t even do the same sport that cat is doing.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jumping ahead a bit, what's he gonna do in the big pool? 46 low fir the 100? Break the 46 barrier?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Jumping ahead a bit, what's he gonna do in the big pool? 46 low fir the 100? Break the 46 barrier?

Who knows, but it’s such an exciting thing for swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What. The. F@#k. Is that the single greatest yards swim of all time? I think so.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 22, 18 21:08
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

It is just a competition who can jump the hardest and fastest off the walls, and I bet these guys do pretty well high-jumping from a squat, but that has little in common with endurance swimming.

You’re wrong. It’s about the start and turn, but he has incredible mechanics and is the best lcm swimmer in the world right now, too.
It’s different from endurance swimming, sure, but his swimming has far more in common with a 400 or milers than the miler’s does with most triathletes.
And triathletes would do really well to learn to sprint better, and to generally have the stroke mechanics to be able to do so.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on being about the only person on the planet that is not impressed by Caeleb's achievement.
and then making yourself known for that too!!

im impressed by your lack of impression!

and dont start talking about different context to back up your ignorance or back down from what you said.
Slowtwitch is all about human athletic achievement, sharing in it and supporting it and learning about it.
There was none of that in your post.

but to each their own ...right?

daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MikenUltra wrote:
He'll probably now get more love on the forum than Lionel Sanders.

Nah, ST doesn't care much about swimming, espec not sprinting. A 17.6 50 yd free is just way too far outside of most tri guys/girls' comprehension and experience.

I love swimming, but I readily admit that that short to middle distance SCY racing doesn't do much for me....

It is just a competition who can jump the hardest and fastest off the walls, and I bet these guys do pretty well high-jumping from a squat, but that has little in common with endurance swimming.

I do swim my fair share SCY, and it is really mostly about turns and push-offs. If you are tall, somewhat fast-twitch and got that figured out, you are doing quite well.

I do like SCY swimming for leg overload training, such as in combo with run or bike because of the push-offs.
But for Triathlon swimming (technique and endurance), LCM is just the better training grounds.

Then why are you poo-pooing all over this thread? If it doesn't do anything for you, fine, but why bring other people down who DO like this stuff?

I don't care much for golf, but I'm not going into the Masters thread over in the LR and saying how it doesn't do anything for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've decided I'll just go into every Lionel thread and reply "Meh"

What are we going to see today? 42.xx in the 100 fly? I did see on Twitter last night he got out of the medley relay limping, so hopefully that was just a result of a hard night, not pulling something doing breaststroke.

Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I've decided I'll just go into every Lionel thread and reply "Meh"

What are we going to see today? 42.xx in the 100 fly? I did see on Twitter last night he got out of the medley relay limping, so hopefully that was just a result of a hard night, not pulling something doing breaststroke.

Oh, I really hope he isn't injured. He is seriously the most exciting male swimmer we've had in years. I wouldn't call him the GOAT (not yet anyway ;-) but I'm more excited about where he can get his performances to than I ever was about Phelps. Phelps was great because he won the nail-biters. Dressel (in his current form) has no nail-biters. to win the 50 by a full second. the 50. That's frickin unreal.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also completely overshadowed a 4:08 500Fr and 2 1:39 200 IM's. Fastest/Best meet in the world. The atmosphere at NCAA's is like nothing else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, that swim is epochal. We were in Before Remel, we are now in After Remel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Oh, I really hope he isn't injured. He is seriously the most exciting male swimmer we've had in years. I wouldn't call him the GOAT (not yet anyway ;-) but I'm more excited about where he can get his performances to than I ever was about Phelps. Phelps was great because he won the nail-biters. Dressel (in his current form) has no nail-biters. to win the 50 by a full second. the 50. That's frickin unreal.

Have to disagree on the bold.

Phelps was great because we won almost everything over a very long period.

I'd love to see Dressel duplicate what Phelps did - but I highly doubt it. 23 Golds, 28 medals in the Olympics......4 consecutive 200 IM Gold medals in the Olympics.

In Tigers early years he was going to be the GOAT in golf, but didn't have the staying power of Jack. Phelps is the Jack of swimming, or Richard of NASCAR.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Have to disagree on the bold.

Phelps was great because we won almost everything over a very long period.

I'd love to see Dressel duplicate what Phelps did - but I highly doubt it. 23 Golds, 28 medals in the Olympics......4 consecutive 200 IM Gold medals in the Olympics.

In Tigers early years he was going to be the GOAT in golf, but didn't have the staying power of Jack. Phelps is the Jack of swimming, or Richard of NASCAR.

Lets just say that there are multiple reasons that Phelps was the GOAT. But he did win races that he "should" have lost, like vs Cavic. Without the nail-biters, he wouldn't have the 23 Gold or 8 in Beijing.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 23, 18 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Lets just say that there are multiple reasons that Phelps was the GOAT. But he did win races that he "should" have lost, like vs Cavic. Without the nail-biters, he wouldn't have the 23 Gold or 8 in Beijing.

And isn't that part of the what makes some-one the GOAT. They win when others think they shouldn't?

They pull it off either because they did something incredible or the other choked?

Avoiding the choke or the little let down or the really small error that everyone else does from time to time is a big part of being the GOAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

And isn't that part of the what makes some-one the GOAT. They win when others think they shouldn't?

They pull it off either because they did something incredible or the other choked?

Avoiding the choke or the little let down or the really small error that everyone else does from time to time is a big part of being the GOAT.

Yup, isn't that what I said?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yup, isn't that what I said?

Small difference.

I think you were suggesting he should not have won.

I'm saying he felt he should have won (and he did win)

There really is no "should." The results speak for themselves. He won. By .01 second or by 2 seconds. A win is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why "should" was in air-quotes.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, as a non-swimmer, I’m so slow in the pool I can barely appreciate how ridiculous his speed really is.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sadly, as a non-swimmer, I’m so slow in the pool I can barely appreciate how ridiculous his speed really is.

I'm a reasonably good swimmer (by old guy masters standards). My masters PB for the 50 free is 25.90, which converts to a 23.1 in SCY

Dressel's 17.6 is 5.5 secs faster than my best. That means that he's finished and I would still have over 11 yards to go.

So basically, I can barely appreciate how fast that is either. It's a completely different thing than what virtually anyone here has ever done. Even tallswimmer is blown away by it (I think he had to change his pants after watching that video).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next