Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dreamsicle or Creamsicle? (OT?)
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge consumer of Perpetuem, but I have been irked ever since it was introduced because the good folks at Hammer Nutrition INSIST on comparing the flavor to Dreamsicle, whereas I think of it as Creamsicle. Here's what I remember from my childhood, when Creamsicles and Dreamsicles were first made:

Creamsicles were the orange ones, Dreamsicles were purple. This is how I am sure they were advertised, perhaps in comic books or something. I can't testify as to the taste (or the actual color), though, because Dreamsicles were never available in the Boston area, at least in the late-50s/early-60s. As far as I was concerned, the Mississippi River stopped Dreamsicles from making it to the east. So for those lucky sots among you who have eaten Dreamsicles, are (were?) they grape-flavored or not? Creamsicles, damn it all, are orange-ish, which is close to the flavor of Perpetuem (it is described on the jug as orange-vanilla).

So......Are the Hammer people correct or incorrect as describing the taste as "Dreamsicle"?
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamsicle or Creamsicle? (OT?) [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, it's Creamsicle. Although I would say it tastes like Creamsicle dipped in mud. For some reason that gets to be good after a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Creamsicle may ass (OT?) [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've posted this before, but you had to live in one of the areas where the Sawdust flavored Creamsicle was available. THAT is the on one which they modeled the Perpetuem flavor...

Ptooeee, creamsicle... Sure, and Accelerade tastes just like fresh lemonade.

NOT!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Creamsicle may ass (OT?) [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only Accelerade I've tried is the "fruit punch", which tastes like I-don't-know-what-all. But at a certain point in a long ride, it appeals. As for the other related fruit punch product, the "old" Endurox formulation, I'm reminded of the milk that's at the bottom of a bowl of Froot Loops. Now THAT (Endurox) is tasty after anything even half-long!

And you're right that Perpetuem doesn't really come close to Creamsicle, but the power of suggestion always helps some. And it's curious how it sort of mellows with age in the bottle, as long as the bottle remains refrigerated, for a week or more --- then it becomes, uh, questionable. And if left unrefrigerated for just a day or so, it goes beyond questionable to downright nasty. I guess those proteins just get hopping and stewing! As for the comparisons with sawdust or mud, I guess that's a textural thing; think of it as added fiber, maybe....
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamsicle or Creamsicle? (OT?) [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its creamsicle mixed with chalk. Oddly I don't mind the taste so much and think that it tastes infinitely better than Sustained Energy when it gets slightly warm-which goes from relatively tasteless to the taste of that mystery liquid at the bottom of garbage bin
Quote Reply
Re: Creamsicle may ass (OT?) [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The only Accelerade I've tried is the "fruit punch", which tastes like I-don't-know-what-all."
- - Battery acid and Kool Aid?

You're right about the taste. Somwhere around mile 25 it isn't nearly so bad.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply