Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hard line on drafting "cheating" would not mean less revenues. Show me where this has occurred? Maybe, it would piss off the cheaters and right now there are alot of them but so what. If our sport loses the cheaters it's better because of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could add up every race this year that had people DQ'd for swimming with fins, cutting courses and it still wouldnt add up to the amount of drafting penalites of what 248 this year in the AG ranks. So, I again dont think you are understanding the point I was providing. But you are on a rant, so keep it up!

Cheers

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
According to our OP here, this guy should have been DQ'd from Kona.

Such a wheel sucker...http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread[/quote[/url]]

Absolutely.... DQ, sorry but rules are rules. Not that he is a bad person just made a bad decision at that time.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you really blew me away, I clicked on this thinking it was one of your "usual" threads....nice post !!!!

Having done draftbusting, it is not as easy to catch as most people think.....especially on those that are actually "cheating deliberately" (I hate those, I really do)....Its far easier to catch those that are drafting but aren't thinking its drafting, those trying to hang onto just a bit faster rider that just passed, without thinking "drop back"....or those that think "this is a good pace", and switch off for a few minutes....I try not to be too hard on those, I really hate those that are "cheating" knowing what they do, and trust me, some are absolute draft artists......and normally the most pissed off when caught (small dinkie syndrome)

Jimmy Riccitello (head ref for kona) posted here that 243 drafters got busted during the 2012 race....My opinion have seen some pictures, that number could have been way more, but in many cases the infractions were not deliberate cheating, but a case of circumstances, with so many riders with riding ability that were in the same limited race area......short of limiting field sizes to more manageable numbers, which lets face it isn't going to happen at any WTC event, or any event that wants to survive, I think we will always see "cheaters", and we will always see "drafters"....lets try to nab the "cheating drafters", educate the Triathlete on how to race fairly......I brought a 7m length of rope to a local race, and tried to explain to athletes that this was the distance from their front wheel to the rear wheel of the next rider....even long time racers had issues with this, claiming it wasn't drafting, that the gap was too big etc.
I would encourage any athlete to take a "Rules course" even if you have no intention of becoming an offical, I would love to see Tri clubs take an active role in this with new members, making sure they know some basic rules before they toe the start line

As for the Pro draft rules in Kona.....this is a good read www.triathlon.competitor.com/2012/10/news/konas-secret-rule_63439

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
You could add up every race this year that had people DQ'd for swimming with fins, cutting courses and it still wouldnt add up to the amount of drafting penalites of what 248 this year in the AG ranks. So, I again dont think you are understanding the point I was providing. But you are on a rant, so keep it up!

Cheers

248 drafting penalities in the AG ranks is sad.... truly sad part of our sport which we all embrace as the norm.

Why give excuses, why not fix it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm trying to make the point, that it wont get fixed. Atleast in my eyes. That's the part that is sad.

ETA: The moment a race organization adds some teeth to the drafting rules, I'll be shocked and admit I was wrong with the customer service being a huge factor in all of this.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Oct 18, 12 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be less expensive to have a half dozen guys riding around on motorcycles?
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
Wow, you really blew me away, I clicked on this thinking it was one of your "usual" threads....nice post !!!!

Having done draftbusting, it is not as easy to catch as most people think.....especially on those that are actually "cheating deliberately" (I hate those, I really do)....Its far easier to catch those that are drafting but aren't thinking its drafting, those trying to hang onto just a bit faster rider that just passed, without thinking "drop back"....or those that think "this is a good pace", and switch off for a few minutes....I try not to be too hard on those, I really hate those that are "cheating" knowing what they do, and trust me, some are absolute draft artists......and normally the most pissed off when caught (small dinkie syndrome)

Jimmy Riccitello (head ref for kona) posted here that 243 drafters got busted during the 2012 race....My opinion have seen some pictures, that number could have been way more, but in many cases the infractions were not deliberate cheating, but a case of circumstances, with so many riders with riding ability that were in the same limited race area......short of limiting field sizes to more manageable numbers, which lets face it isn't going to happen at any WTC event, or any event that wants to survive, I think we will always see "cheaters", and we will always see "drafters"....lets try to nab the "cheating drafters", educate the Triathlete on how to race fairly......I brought a 7m length of rope to a local race, and tried to explain to athletes that this was the distance from their front wheel to the rear wheel of the next rider....even long time racers had issues with this, claiming it wasn't drafting, that the gap was too big etc.
I would encourage any athlete to take a "Rules course" even if you have no intention of becoming an offical, I would love to see Tri clubs take an active role in this with new members, making sure they know some basic rules before they toe the start line

As for the Pro draft rules in Kona.....this is a good read www.triathlon.competitor.com/2012/10/news/konas-secret-rule_63439[/quote]

Thank you.... I think maybe staggering based on bike times on the swim may work, we all know the staggering based on age does not work. I truly believe our sport needs to curb this drafting thing, it's only going to get worse not better with the current rules and enforcement.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Wouldn't it be less expensive to have a half dozen guys riding around on motorcycles?

They can stand at the side of the road too and radio ahead, they can drive a small car, we can stagger the swim waves better, etc. But to do nothing is silly and encouraging cheating, on any level. If I steal a candy bar because I am hungry and have no money, can I argue the point to the policeman that it is more cost effective to let me go then to process me through the system and court?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Leadman Bend. 404: no drafting found

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no longer supporting drafting.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
Race Leadman Bend. 404: no drafting found

Or we could make it a swim, run, bike race. Very little drafting then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
I know some of you say that we should make all races draft-legal so everyone is on a level playing field. However, draft-legal races and inexperienced cyclists in aerobars equals crashes on the road constantly and that increases the danger of the event and liability to the race organizers. So that won't happen, period.

In addition, when the pros race in ITU draft legal racing all you find is huge peletons and any breakaways are usually caught, so the entire event becomes one of who can conserve energy enough for the run. Now I don't want to get into a pissing match about how fast the pros are going and how tough it is in the peleton. The fact is that the draft-legal racing provides a faster bike split for everyone in the peleton, it allows one to conserve energy and breakaways from the pack are usually futile attempts. This type of racing is fine for the Pro's and creates a level playing field for them. However, not suitable for the average triathlon, Ironman included.

So my question is, why does the USAT, WTC and other governing bodies allow drafting to continue when it's apparent it is cheating and a voilation of the rules? The course marshall's only catch less than 10% of the cheaters and it's usually a time penalty which is a slap on the wrist. Cutting the course, using illegal PED's , a motor on your bike, using swim fins, etc would be a disqualification because it's "cheating". Even unsportsmanlike conduct can get you disqualified. Why not make drafting a disqualification too? You get caught once on the course, your DQ'd.

So it seems as if there are ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF CHEATING for the USAT and WTC. We have the technology and know how to catch these cheaters too. There are several ways, more course marshalls, actually telling the participants they will be disqualified for drafting prior to the race and the specators see these peletons go by and they could report them all. Plus, we all use timing chips and GPS so it is possible to detect if someone is within 7 meters of another rider for longer than 15 seconds.

It seems to me why this form of cheating is acceptable is because triathletes in general either allow it to happen and say nothing or they cheat themselves. So why should the USAT and WTC get tough on this type of cheating when few people complain about it.

It was apparent again in Kona that cheating is acceptable for the most part. Okay, they did bust less than 10% of the drafters but the majority got away with it. Some would say that it's only cheating if you get caught and you need to push the envelope a little to finish well. Others say that it is up to the individual to conduct ones self in a sportsmanlike manner. But as we can see in EVERY Ironman race and EVERY triathlon drafting occurs, so it is the RESPONSIBILITY of the race organizers and governing body to ENFORCE THE RULES of the event to make it a FAIR race for EVERYONE.

To those that say it's not cost effective to strong enforce drafting. I have never heard of a race losing revenues for being hard nose on drafting. Plus, if I stole a pair of jeans from a local store because I had no money and I needed them, do you think I could effectively argue to the policeman that it would be more cost effective to let me go then to process me through the judicial system.

We need to HOLD OUR GOVERNING BODIES of triathlon accountable, because we cannot hold ourselves accountable. Sad but true..:-(

What's this "we" shit? Sounds like you have it all figured out... get busy, you have lots of work to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see someone chatting intelligently about the draft zone. Are you certain about the 7m being from front wheel of leading cycle to rear wheel of following cycle? From what I read of the Comp. Rules 5.10a and 5.10b it is most likely front wheel to front wheel...since that is the point when a rider is defined as being overtaken.

As for the GPS comment:
1. Civilian grade GPS receivers have a single-point margin-of-error of up-to-10m 95 percent of the time. The other five percent of the time they have a single-point margin-of-error of up to 30m. (This is one of many reasons USATF does not allow GPS-measured courses to be certified...they require use of a mechanical device on a bike which has a margin-of-error of approximately 3".)
2. There's more to 5.10a violations than riding within that 7m-or-23' draft zone. Enter the draft zone and then exit from the rear? That's drafting.
3. There are areas on a bike course (i.e. 90-degree turns, 180-degree turns, aid stations, congested areas...) where officials are going to allow draft zone discipline to lapse...we let everyone get safely through the area, sort themselves out, then it's back to 7m/23'.

You'd have to have someone (or something) tracking a whole lot of data during the course of a race.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
USAT Competitive Rules Official - Cat 2 (2011-2023), USAT International Technical Official (2023-present)
ITU/USAT National Technical Official (2015-2023), World Triathlon Continental Technical Official (2024-present)
USAT South Region Rules Ambassador (2015-2021)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i am in charge it will be a zero tolerance policy, draft and your out,

IMO race directors are afraid of loosing business so they don't enforce the rules, referees are expensive, and if they crack down on racers they won't come back, i personally would be at a race where there is zero tolerance,

please don't give me the well he/she was passing, or didn't realize because she was texting her mom about her new boy freind crap,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
You are wrong, the technology is there. I am not an electronic engineer but I've got to believe it exists or can be implemented to suit our needs.

I can't believe I just watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=DkGMY63FF3Q

And then read trihard4me's post!

Quote:
Step 1: The idea!

Step 2: The creation!

We have already completed step 1! We are halfway there!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
npage148 wrote:
I see drafting like offensive lineman holding in football. Sure it's against the rules but the way the rules are written, the benefits you gain easily offset the penalty if (big if) you get caught. Unless you make the penlites actually penalties (20 minutes in the tent for drafting) people will continue to work the rules, especially at local hero pile up tris (like Kona) where everyone is roughly the same skill level.

Go ahead and draft away (saving time and energy), take the 4 minute penalty to refuel and rock the run

I would assume I'd hear from some fellow cheaters like you. You are the type of triathlete we all should hate, low moral character and low integrity.

lmgtfy: devil's advocate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

Cheers

248 drafting penalities in the AG ranks is sad.... truly sad part of our sport which we all embrace as the norm.

Why give excuses, why not fix it?

Why keep whining pointlessly when people are giving you very logical reasons why things are the way they are, why not put on your own race and enforce it the way it should be? Please let us know how that goes.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Oct 18, 12 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [javaman222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd better off setting up random timing mats along the bike course and measuring delta's between bikes to get draft penalties. set up 2 mats a known distance apart (30 meters or so) and use that gap to get the speed the person is traveling. Then use the second mat to get the time gap between riders and based on speed, you know the distance between the two riders. You'd need to figure out if they are passing or not but a speed difference between riders could be used to figure that out (maybe assume passing if the person in the back is traveling more than 2mph faster than the front or something). Plop 10-15 of these set ups around the bike course and have fun collecting drafters. Might be expensive though
Last edited by: npage148: Oct 18, 12 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't do tris... just TTs. IME drafting really brings out the cheaters. There is something about getting passed that makes a person push a little harder and next thing you know "wow, now I can keep up with this guy", and it's kind of a gray area, and hell you aren't going to beat this guy you are wheel sucking anyway. Watch any pro TT and you will usually see rampant cheating... right on worldwide TV! I saw some photos of the US championships a few years ago and guys were riding in a frikin pack. Every time I've passed someone in a TT at a less than huge differential, they were right behind me at the finish.

It isn't that hard. If someone passes you, you make every effort to get *out* of their draft rather than see how well you can stay in it while pretending you aren't. If you can't move laterally, then soft pedal (rest!) a few seconds until you are far enough back. IMO allowing 7 meters is way too close. Make it 20 and penalize for anything under 15.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not start putting drafters on the ground. Surely, officiating is non-existent, - and therefore promotes that behaviour/drafting.

So many of you can't control your love-rocket-aero-bike anyway, - I don't draft because the bike itself is too skittery to be safe. But the biggest reason is all of your squirrels with your headphones, who can't ride, and do not belong on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
A hard line on drafting "cheating" would not mean less revenues. Show me where this has occurred? Maybe, it would piss off the cheaters and right now there are alot of them but so what. If our sport loses the cheaters it's better because of it.

Agreed 100%. Maybe I'll try to contact WTC and Jimmy and see what their thought are on the 2 mile laps of shame :-).

Then when a peloton goes by, guys will think 3x before they consider joining the peloton or trying to leapfrog it and add to the size of the peleton. Every local stud that gets frustrated and thinks he can outride the peloton only adds to its size, unlike at home where they can outride a group of weaker riders. At Kona everyone is equally strong. The very fact that they might have to run 15-16 extra minutes (or more) will steer them waaaaay clear of trying to outride the peloton....last thing you would want to do is try to make a pass of teh entire group moving at 400W that the front 2 guys are doing after just having made the pass .....and then take a touch too long (or cross the centre line)....either of which gets you a 2 mile run penalty.

I THINK WTC does have some incentive to make sure that Kona is clean. They can DQ guys till they are blue in the face and give out penalties and the demand for Kona will never go down.

On the other hand, races like IMFlorida and IM Arizona (and many other qual events), they have a financial incentive to not DQ people from getting to the IM dream.

I am HOPING to see Jimmy and crew give out 250 penalties at the likes of IM Florida. If they do that, then I might be convinced. Right now I believe that rightly or wrongly that WTC does not want the refs to give out too many penalties at non Kona events.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Cool story bro.

How much did you get for your "Kona slot"?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...kona%20slot;#4224734

This guy is the biggest joke on this board. I still want to see some times from this guy. He claims to be a former pro and super fast but he won't tell us who he is. I would bet any amount of money that he is fat and slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
This guy is the biggest joke on this board. I still want to see some times from this guy. He claims to be a former pro and super fast but he won't tell us who he is. I would bet any amount of money that he is fat and slow.

I am fairly certain this is him...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting on bike is Cheating and it NEEDS to STOP. [javaman222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
javaman222 wrote:
Nice to see someone chatting intelligently about the draft zone. Are you certain about the 7m being from front wheel of leading cycle to rear wheel of following cycle? From what I read of the Comp. Rules 5.10a and 5.10b it is most likely front wheel to front wheel...since that is the point when a rider is defined as being overtaken.
I could have worded it better, I knew what I meant.......In the real world it is the rear wheel of the front bike to the front wheel of the following/rear bike, that defines a draft or not

I'm in BC, Canada, the TriBC rules are a 3m wide x 10m long drafting box for standard (olympic), and 12m long box for long course......The box starts at the front wheel of the leading bike, the front wheel of the following bike cannot enter the rear of the box unless to pass, or while in a feeding zone etc.......the 7m rope length, comes from subtracting the length of the front bike (a little generous), so that you measure from the rear wheel of the front bike to the front wheel of the following bike, as this is how draftbusting works in the real world, trust me I've never looked at the front wheel of the leading bike, its always the back wheel to front wheel gap I'm watching......hopefully on a sunny day, with good shadows to measure off.

It is hard for Races to get Draftbusting Motorcycle teams..You need both a qualified rules offical, and a willing M/C owner/rider for just one out on the course.....Unfortunately there are lots of instances where it is not safe to mix both racers and draftbusters even on closed section of races.......and sometimes I can just look at a race course map, and go "draft fest".......The new IM Canada/Whistler course is going to have a 70km section on the Pemberton flats where its dead flat out and back, not safe for vehicles to mix in, thankfully its in the second half of the race, but.....I'm calling it already, 10 months before, a "draft-fest"...and there is probably nothing the WTC can do about it, without cutting particpant numbers down.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply

Prev Next