Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Doping news....surprising...
Quote | Reply
Katja Schumacher has been cleared of everything...
it was announced by DTU...
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reason?

I am sure she will find it difficult to create relationships with other triathletes with this cloud over her head.

Quote | Reply
From Holger Erdrcih at Proevent.com (on xtriathlon.com)

1. during the process it was proved that the decision was perfectly illegal
2. the court has cancelled all the doping accusations on Katja Schumacher, on jnauary 29, 2005. It was never proven that she has taken intentionally illegal drugs.
3. KS has decided to start racing again june 1st, 2005.

nothing more about what was proven or not etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure she will find it difficult to create relationships with other triathletes with this cloud over her head

Not if she shares!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basicly, KS went into the hearing with a strong legal hand. There were numerous irregularities in the formalities, and so the suspension was thrown out on technicalities. It seems that the discussion was not about guilt or not, but about the DTU ignoring their own proceedures and therefore the suspension was invalid. There was also mention of samples being either open or leaking when they arrived in the laboratory. Some reports say just the A, some say both.

An unpleasant outcome to the whole affair. A clear guilty / not guilty verdict would have been much better.

After this is done KS does not look good and the DTU looks very bad. Hopefully something like this will not happen again.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [JimD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get ready for the same thing to happen with the UCI/WADA, Tyler Hamilton mess!

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Press release from IM Germany:

Due to the court decision and confirmation of the German Triathlon Federation (DTU) from January 29th, 2005 Katja Schumacher will stay banned for competing in triathlon and duathlon events until June 1st, 2005. After having confirmed and corrected the ban for a doping offense the results of the women’s race on July 11th, 2004 are announced as followed:

1. Nina Kraft (GER)
  2. Nina Fischer (GER)
  3. Imke Schiersch (GER)
  4. Silke Hamacher (GER)
  5. Inge Löhle (GER).

Wih the final decision in this this case Katja Schumacher will not be allowed to race at the Opel IRONMAN GERMANY in the future.

Regarding Katja Schumacher’s accusation of a possible manipulation of her own special needs in the 2004 race we as the organizers give the following statement:

1. Special Needs are extra voluntary service by the organisation and is in the complete own response of the athlete.
  2. This service is conducted by long-term experienced and reliable volunteers (in fact in the year 2004 this position was managed and controlled by policemen in private duty).
  3. There’s no proof that Katja Schumacher used in 2004 the special needs service in our race.
  4. The accusation by Katja Schumacher is a disregard of the honour of all our volunteers and is not proven in any case. We can’t accept her behaviour and unfair attack against our volunteers

Shawn Skene
Last edited by: Shawn_1: Feb 1, 05 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [Shawn_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that announcement makes the whole thing even worse as IMG could just disregard a decision made by a tribunal and a fed. org. and decide for themselves who wins, who doesn't, etc....

unbelievable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her is a link to an interview she gave with triathletemag.com. What it came down to was for her levels of testosterone that high she would have had to ingest/injectd 8-10 prior to the test being adminstered.

http://www.triathletemag.com/...D=92&pageID=1705

http://www.triathletemag.com/...D=92&pageID=1705

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would there be any benefit to taking testerone so close to the race? Is it a conceivable strategy to blow the test out to cover up normal high readings?

OTOH, I once failed a drug test b/c I took a drixoral (over the counter allergy medecine) The test came back as an off the charts positive for exctasy. The second lab said the off the charts reading should have caused the first lab to look closer at their test results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete: Based on this, what agreement did you reach with the DTU?

Katja Schumacher: I could sue for the money I lost due to not racing, but I wanted to get it over with. The DTU asked me to agree not to file a lawsuit and asked me not to race until June. The DTU agreed to drop the case and not pursue it any further. I agreed, because I didn’t want to go through this anymore.

Questions:

Why would you want to reach an agreement if you have been cleared for doping.

Why would you agree NOT to sue them for loss income if you have been cleared of doping.

Why would you agree NOT to race until June if you have been cleared for doping.

Does this not seem strange?

Shawn

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [Shawn_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i agree on this and I don't believe for a second that she was clean...

However, what bothers me is that IMG extends the decision to ban her from the event, not taking into account the DTU's decision etc.
What happens if someone really is innocent?

It just sends the wrong message, which is that IMG takes unilateral decision and ignore the decision of the DTU, a federal organization they depend on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What happens if someone really is innocent? "

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Wheew. Oh, man. Ha! Damn. Now that IS funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no it's not...

it happens with murder cases...it can happen with athletes as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
However, what bothers me is that IMG extends the decision to ban her from the event, not taking into account the DTU's decision etc.
What happens if someone really is innocent?

It just sends the wrong message, which is that IMG takes unilateral decision and ignore the decision of the DTU, a federal organization they depend on...

IMG is a privately-run event, and is not sanctioned by organized triathlon (ITU and the national federations). So, they can do whatever they want.

The way I read their statement, they are not banning her because of the testosterone -- they're banning her because she is accusing the volunteers and the race organizers of tampering with her needs bag! I'd throw her out of my races too.

They're saying, "Hey -- if you think we're such scumbags and crooks, then stay the hell out of our races." Sounds entirely reasonable to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a mess! This looks like the classic loose-loose situation where no one looks good and no one is happy.

It would seem there is still a great deal of information that is not out in the public domain.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
loose-loose situation
Don't give that sneaky Francois an opportunity to correct your grammar - he's never let me live it down ;)

I don't think this is correct.
IMG is a privately run event that still has to comply with the DTU rules...

the whole thing plain sucks...
On the one hand, doping procedures that are handled improperly leading to possibly false positive AND false negative. Also allowing for drug cheat to get away with it.

Then a Federation making a deal with an athlete for money reasons.

Then a race organizer, under the direction of the above Federation who says "screw your decision, we will do what we want"...

Looks like doping problems are not anywhere near being solved...

To me the main issues with doping are:

1. they are not homogeneous between sports
2. they are not homogeneous betwen countries

and it seems now that some can just ignore the decisions...
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news....surprising... [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only loose thing here are the DTU procedures.

Remember that the procedures are designed to protect the athletes. Samples can't be subject to tampering and the procedures are in place to guarentee that it doesn't happen.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Francois, I was kidding in an earlier post.

2. Agreed that anti-doping procedures need to be more consistent across sports and countries/federations

3. If an athlete accuses an RD and their volunteers of fraud and framing athletes, then the RD should have every right to tell the athlete to F-off and not allow them in any further races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like there is more news to come....

there appear to be differences of opinion between the DTU and Katja Schumacher on what was agreed upon.

According to the DTU, there was nothing wrong with the samples or the proceedures for handling them. They have photos and statements from the laboratory to prove this.

Further, Schumacher is paying for the bulk of the court costs, not the DTU as she claims.

Schumacher agreed to withdraw her appeal in exchange for a shortening of the suspension.

Doubtless there is more to come.

It is still a mess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's what I gathered after talking to Olaf about that...looks pretty messy to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Messy - yes, very. It would seem that according to the DTU and also IMG she is still suspended until the end of May, but they don´t actually use that word. When I read the statements I am unsure too on what her exact status is.

This is not good for the sport. If I was a potential sponsor I might be looking for another sport right now.

Give some thought to the organizers of the IMG. Their #2 woman was positive, and then this mess. Their #1 woman got caught in Hawaii 3 months later, and everyone wonders what would have happened if they had tested for EPO in Frankfurt. I´m sure they are very angry.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMAZING... I'd bet 99% of you have never met Katja Schumacher. And yet you can make the judgement that she is guilty.

I can tell you that this is a girl who has to be convinced it is fine to take an aspirin for muscle soreness. Definitely a bit shy and reserved. Not into the public attention at all.

No one has mentioned that the amount of this injested drug was unimagineable. "Would have put her in the mental ward". She would have to have taken it shortly before the event. And why would she take it when the result would not have given her any real advantage. The risk was ridiculous to consider for anyone who has the experience this athlete has had over many years of pro racing.

Am I the only one who can see the link to the admission of guilt by Nina Kraft and her boyfriend Martin of EPO use? Who knows what this man was capable of doing to help his athlete (Nina) win. Why is the idea of someone tainting Katja's special needs bottle so far fetched? It isn't saying the volunteers did a bad job. Possibly someone with credentials came into the area and did the dirty work.

When did the Nina Kraft EPO abuse really begin? Possibly much earlier than Hawaii. And just who besides possibly Katja, suffered to keep Nina on the winner's podium?

Loads of abuse out there - as much or more in the age-groups than in the drug tested pro ranks. Right, it is a mess. No real good news on this subject in sight.
Quote Reply

Prev Next