Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cheating OOC takes a quite significant amount of criminal energy that will tale away any joy left of racing."

But for those so determined to dope, "joy of racing" doesn't mean the same thing it means to many of us. In fact, the thrill of winning or of finding performance levels never seen before has a special allure that feeds the ego. Tyler's accounts in his book confirmed this aspect for me.

You know I agree with you on AG testing. I just think we ought not fool ourselves to think there is any moral or ethical wedge we can leverage. It's just a matter of fact situation that ought to be created. For this subset of AG racing we've determined matters, we're going to test in and out of competition. If we catch you, here are the consequences. We're going to do our best to catch you.

Deterrence? Not so much. We all have those things in our lives that we do despite the consequences of getting caught (speeding anyone?). For some people, doping falls in that list whether you or I can wrap our brains around it or not.

Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True for some but not true for others. You'll never catch or deter all but it does work like a charm. We had some interesting DNFs and DNSs at our event.

Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dan, for that very thoughtful reply.

Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
"Cheating OOC takes a quite significant amount of criminal energy that will tale away any joy left of racing."

But for those so determined to dope, "joy of racing" doesn't mean the same thing it means to many of us. In fact, the thrill of winning or of finding performance levels never seen before has a special allure that feeds the ego. Tyler's accounts in his book confirmed this aspect for me.

You know I agree with you on AG testing. I just think we ought not fool ourselves to think there is any moral or ethical wedge we can leverage. It's just a matter of fact situation that ought to be created. For this subset of AG racing we've determined matters, we're going to test in and out of competition. If we catch you, here are the consequences. We're going to do our best to catch you.

Deterrence? Not so much. We all have those things in our lives that we do despite the consequences of getting caught (speeding anyone?). For some people, doping falls in that list whether you or I can wrap our brains around it or not.

With the cost and effort involved there will be some people who think it's worth the effort at first, but to the AG athlete who has to work, deal with kids and family and still make sure to stay on doping program it will become too much of a hassle. And the testing is smart enough to catch long time cheats, because it happens all the time, even in the pro ranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is OOC? I googled but all I got is Out of Competition? Is this right?
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
What is OOC? I googled but all I got is Out of Competition? Is this right?

Correct.

Shane
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So in ohter words they show up to your house and ask you to pee in a cup? Hmmmm interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
With the cost and effort involved there will be some people who think it's worth the effort at first, but to the AG athlete who has to work, deal with kids and family and still make sure to stay on doping program it will become too much of a hassle. And the testing is smart enough to catch long time cheats, because it happens all the time, even in the pro ranks.

How hard do you think doping is? Cost, maybe. But actually doping is merely maintaining a schedule and sticking a needle in at certain times. Less arduous than IDDM.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
How hard do you think doping is? Cost, maybe. But actually doping is merely maintaining a schedule and sticking a needle in at certain times. Less arduous than IDDM.
John

As long as your body likes the schedule. Otherwise you might get serious health issues if you are lucky or don't wake up one morning.

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Devlin wrote:
John

As long as your body likes the schedule. Otherwise you might get serious health issues if you are lucky or don't wake up one morning.

Well, yes, there is that. But IMHO, you rolls the dice, you takes your chances. Darwinism in action, and I'm all for Darwinism.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next