Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote: "let me tell you what an ombudsman does. i'm going to demonstrate. '"We have royally, as an organization, screwed the pooch in the messaging and handling of how we're going to deal with lance threads!'"

Dan,

I read something like this message before, maybe upthread, maybe in your op-ed. I have to say, it was the most transparent I've seen you be about the recent difficulties at Slowtwitch. Often, when reading someone who is trying to say a few conflicting things at once, their message sounds anxious, defensive, contradictory. I'm not sure if that was the case with your posts recently, but something seemed off, as if you have been distracted while posting. Usually, you're so on point.

So, first, thanks for this post, an "aha" moment for me, a longtime member, and a really welcome one. To be frank, it kind of saved the whole thing from being a wreck.

Second, though, and please tell me if I'm crossing a line, can you say why your messaging and handling of how you're dealing with Lance threads has been confusing or, to paraphrase, screwed up? I wouldn't have asked if you hadn't brought it up; if that's a bridge too far, I understand. You've been forthcoming and I appreciate that.

Great forum, great site. Great post (above). Thanks for all three.

Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
Yet it's impossible for someone who's t-levels are well below 200ng/dl to get a TUE despite needing supplementation to function normally day to day.

Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
i still think the case of tiger woods is germane here. the guy had laser surgery done on his (already pretty good) eyes, and became better than 20/20. that kind of acuity is hugely helpful for a golfer (or a baseball player - just ask ted williams).

should that be legal? is it 'doping?'

-mike

An excellent question. My personal opinion is that if doping is defined in a reasonable way, then no, that shouldn't be considered doping, because it adds to overall quality of life. But if you were to apply the same principles to it that are currently applied to questions about doping in general, it might very well be construed as doping. As technology continues to develop at an accelerating pace, I think that we'll see more and more issues along those lines. Will triathlon, cycling, and other sports be trying to cling to a twentieth-century technological level that the rest of the world has left behind?

Its "doping" if the PGA says it is. I don't think it should be made illegal, but if they make it illegal then yeah it is. its interesting what another poster said about alcohol. I don't take any pills except rarely when it perscribed, most pain meds for an operation. No vitamins, so supplements etc. But if alcohol was put on the banned list out of competition, then yes, I'd still have beer now and again (and again) and I'd still compete.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in keeping with the golfing analogies, would/should they then consider glasses/contacts as performance enhancers?
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Would you please stop saying no one?"

you're right. i apologize.

Thanks for what it's worth, I probably wouldn't have commented if you said "practically no one" because there isn't a lot of compromise going around here, though this thread has stayed fairly civil. TravisT and a few others are working the middle ground a bit. A big part of the issues Im seeing with doping is the fact that people feel so defeated by it.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike C wrote:
Well, in keeping with the golfing analogies, would/should they then consider glasses/contacts as performance enhancers?

And so it goes. I'm surprised it took 7ish pages for someone to start bringing up every outlying procedure and saying "What about this? What about that? Why isn't X and Y illegal?"

The WADA list is the WADA list. If you don't like something on it, such as marijuana, start a campaign to have it taken off. Get off your ass and do something. Similarly, if you think something SHOULD be on the list but isn't, start a campaign.

The discussion is NOT about what should or should not be on the list. The conversation is (or at least was) how do we most effectively enforce the list in existence?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John, I agree with your line of thinking....kinda my point in my previous post, as this is descending into the realm of the ridiculous.

But, I suppose, what else is new?
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
"Would you please stop saying no one?"

you're right. i apologize.

Thanks for what it's worth, I probably wouldn't have commented if you said "practically no one" because there isn't a lot of compromise going around here, though this thread has stayed fairly civil. TravisT and a few others are working the middle ground a bit. A big part of the issues Im seeing with doping is the fact that people feel so defeated by it.

And that a lot of people just don't care at all, at least on the AG side. From the other doping thread currently active, a few quotes:

Quote:
I think if amateurs wanna dope, let em.
Why do you care about an unfair edge?
Is someone who dopes an idiot? Yes. But so what?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Yet it's impossible for someone who's t-levels are well below 200ng/dl to get a TUE despite needing supplementation to function normally day to day.

And it's been appealed as far as it can be? Every avenue has been exhausted? Then you're right, the system completely failed this person so the whole thing should be scrapped.

From my experience getting a TUE (Admittedly for a much lesser medication) was much simpler.

Me: I think I need a TUE
USADA: Great, we'll mail you the forms
Me: Hey, doc, need these forms filled out.
Doc: No problem.
Me: Here's my forms, USADA.
USADA, Great, here's your TUE.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgalluzz wrote:
Just replying to the thread in general:

But I've always wondered why there is such a push for amateur drug testing in triathlon and not (from what I can tell, or see) in other participatory sports. For example, running/marathoning... (or maybe there is, or there already is amateur testing, and I just don't know about it. if so feel free to call me out)

Is it because people want to qualify for the world championships so badly, and they want to make sure everyone is clean? What about qualifying for the Boston Marathon? Why is there no push to drug test people who qualify for that? (I know Boston used to be based on qualifying time alone, but in recent years that's changed and there is a competitive element to it)

What makes triathlon so special? 99% of people who enter a triathlon are just there for the fun of it. Just like running. I'm honestly curious as to why we don't see such a big call to action in other sports. Is it solely because of Kona and Vegas? Again, feel free to call me out if I'm way off.

It's pretty easy for a good age group runner to qualify for Boston. I've done it without really trying too hard. But qualifying for Vegas is much harder, and Kona is pretty much beyond my reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
I disagree. Things are changing; WADA has taken over results management of UCIs passport (and any sport with passports as I understand it); EPO tests are improving, and the reduction in speed of ascents year over year in grand tours is indicative of a decrease in doping, even with an increase in aerodynamics and equipment. common fans are raising money to support an unemployed journalist and former cyclist in a lawsuit against the UCI and have raised about 50k in about a week. People are calling for change in UCI leadership. That will make a huge impact if it occurs.

To be clear, I agree testing protocols - especially the passport - are having more success at the pro level. In this particular case I was referring to amateur testing. My point being that what I learned from The Secret Race was that it's easy (for amateurs) to take EPO and not be detected. Books like this are highly interesting/entertaining, but also educational to those who might not otherwise have doped at the amateur level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely a TUE for simple medication is not an issue. But I'd like to hear from anyone who is actually been able to get a TUE for something like test or steriods. There are legitimate uses for these drugs and some people actually need them to function day to day and still want to compete. Judging from what I know first hand it is impossible get a TUE for one of those "worse" drugs and that is a problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For which drug? Asthma meds? Cortisone cream?

In my experience, no one gets a TUE for the true performance enhancers. Maybe someone who's had both testicles shot off might be a candidate, but I am wondering if you are the first we've heard about?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:

In my experience, no one gets a TUE for the true performance enhancers. Maybe someone who's had both testicles shot off might be a candidate, but I am wondering if you are the first we've heard about?

-Robert

Asthma. I stated it was a simpler med. (And changed, so no longer TUE necessary).

What is your experience that "no one" gets a TUE for the true performance enhancers? What is on that list? How many do you know that have tried?

Do I know of any personally? No. But I also don't know anyone in that kind of disease state either, so I don't know of anyone that has tried.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Doping and Anti-Doping [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Absolutely a TUE for simple medication is not an issue. But I'd like to hear from anyone who is actually been able to get a TUE for something like test or steriods. There are legitimate uses for these drugs and some people actually need them to function day to day and still want to compete. Judging from what I know first hand it is impossible get a TUE for one of those "worse" drugs and that is a problem.

Agreed, and admittedly you have the experience that I don't.

But, they outline the method and conditions by which a TUE for testosterone can be given. If the athlete has followed that, and the TUE has been denied, then it should be able to be appealed to a higher authority, although I don't know the oversight structure well enough to know which that would be. I would imagine WADA/CAS, but I don't know for sure.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Robert wrote:

-Robert

Asthma. I stated it was a simpler med. (And changed, so no longer TUE necessary).

What is your experience that "no one" gets a TUE for the true performance enhancers? What is on that list? How many do you know that have tried?

Do I know of any personally? No. But I also don't know anyone in that kind of disease state either, so I don't know of anyone that has tried.

John

I do know someone first hand who needed it for severe health issues. They exhausted all their options and were still denied. That is a problem with the system.