Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Door County Triathlon
Quote | Reply
How was the race this year?

Looks like the half-ironman participation is way down? I believe it once sold out with 1,000 spots?

Surprising with Racine 70.3 gone after last year.

Planning to do this race next year, hoping big changes are not put in place to increase registration.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect weather or maybe slightly too hot for some. No wind, flat swim and about 80-82 for the run. Was also shocked by the low turnout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's far too expensive for what it is, and the market seems to be showing that. I have not seen any non WTC events that can claim the same entry fee. Without a premium "World Championship" slot to boast, I could never understand how people paid those terribly inflated entry fees. I hope this brings them back in line. Have done it a few times, but never at full price as it's not that big a value to me.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was never able to justify this one, I did High Cliff/Toughman twice was thrilled when the inaugural Milkman came out and did that but could never justify putting it on my schedule. Two things steered me away from this race, the price is very high and Door County is a very expensive place to find lodging and camping is typically booked.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
I was never able to justify this one, I did High Cliff/Toughman twice was thrilled when the inaugural Milkman came out and did that but could never justify putting it on my schedule. Two things steered me away from this race, the price is very high and Door County is a very expensive place to find lodging and camping is typically booked.

Agree completely. I will say that every year I waited until the last week and bought a spot on their FB page for $150-175. We also had a very reasonable place in Egg Harbor, so it wasn't bad. It is way overpriced and I never understood the allure to jump on an entry the minute it opened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done it previous 3 years and would say its the best 70.3 distance i've done, including any IM branded event. Sure the swim was shortened 2 years in a row, but can't fault the RD for that. For the price of the event, I would continue to pay the higher price for the quality they bring to the table compared to the shit locations most 70.3 events take place. I'd rather go to DC and pay extra then go to crappy Muncie and race in a corn field.

The cycling roads are in GREAT condition. Its a fast course
The run is actually challenging but can still run fast times
The environment is friendly, check in is simple and fast, and if you are looking for competition, it always attracts fast racers.

I 100% suggest it to anyone.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Jul 17, 18 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only complaint about DC70.3 was watching Brandes pass me on mile 8 of the run :) Great race Steve!

Yes, lodging in Door County is expensive, but due to their transfer policy, you can pick up a cheap bib in June. Door County is less expensive than a WTC race and twice as good. The post race food and celebration is top notch, the race always draws good competition, and they penalize drafting. I see a lot of complaining about WTC races taking over the world and rampant draft fests. Door County is a great grass roots race and I was very pleased to see the penalties handed out this weekend. I have done this race the past three years, and despite the swim being shortened due to dangerous conditions the two years prior to this one, I strongly recommend this race!
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This event is one of my all time favorites. Best marked swim course I have participated in. This older and slower contestant struggled with the bight sunshine and heat (more like 88F) during the run and had plenty of company during the multiple short walking breaks. Plenty of motorcycles on the bike course watching the average Joe and Jane Sixpacks. Top notice post-race festival didn't include the infamous pizza served by the corporate folks. I can't wait to go back next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree with Steve.

I do think they hit a tipping point with entry fee's. However, when you consider what they have for amenities throughout the ENTIRE WEEKEND, it's worth it if you ask me. I little more incentive for early bird registration might help numbers in 2019, but I do know that we'll have 30+ up there again.

From a coach/spectator/fan standpoint, it's awesome. I trained throughout the weekend when I could and had one stretch of road where I went 15' without seeing a car. The lodging can be as expensive as you'd like to make it.

Great race!

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [Blakebecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blakebecker wrote:
100% agree with Steve.

I do think they hit a tipping point with entry fee's. However, when you consider what they have for amenities throughout the ENTIRE WEEKEND, it's worth it if you ask me. I little more incentive for early bird registration might help numbers in 2019, but I do know that we'll have 30+ up there again.

From a coach/spectator/fan standpoint, it's awesome. I trained throughout the weekend when I could and had one stretch of road where I went 15' without seeing a car. The lodging can be as expensive as you'd like to make it.

Great race!

I was signed up for this race, but didn't do it due to an injury. I did get their survey and looked through it. It's clear they think that IMWI70.3 is a factor in their reduced participation.

Personally, I think the Door course is a lot nicer than Madison's, but being able to roll out of bed and not pay for a hotel (2 days) is hard to turn down. I do believe their transfer policy is pretty stellar. I lost $25 selling my bib, not bad at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THIS. Agree 100%. Especially great if you are bringing the whole family. Things to do for a little vacation afterwards too.

Brandes wrote:
Have done it previous 3 years and would say its the best 70.3 distance i've done, including any IM branded event. Sure the swim was shortened 2 years in a row, but can't fault the RD for that. For the price of the event, I would continue to pay the higher price for the quality they bring to the table compared to the shit locations most 70.3 events take place. I'd rather go to DC and pay extra then go to crappy Muncie and race in a corn field.

The cycling roads are in GREAT condition. Its a fast course
The run is actually challenging but can still run fast times
The environment is friendly, check in is simple and fast, and if you are looking for competition, it always attracts fast racers.

I 100% suggest it to anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
It's far too expensive for what it is, and the market seems to be showing that. I have not seen any non WTC events that can claim the same entry fee. Without a premium "World Championship" slot to boast, I could never understand how people paid those terribly inflated entry fees. I hope this brings them back in line. Have done it a few times, but never at full price as it's not that big a value to me.

Take off your curmudgeon hat, Gary. ;-).

This is a very good race and you know it. There are very few regional races that can compare.

Great location.
Family friendly
Great local support
Free race photos.
Transfer option to pick up a reduced $$ entry fee.

It checks off all the boxes

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

This is a very good race and you know it. There are very few regional races that can compare.

Great location.
Family friendly
Great local support
Free race photos.

To each their own. Sorry, but I still feel it's only OK and way too expensive. I guess through the years I've been to much nicer spots than Door County. It's nice, but nothing very special IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Great location.
Family friendly
Great local support
Free race photos.

To each their own. Sorry, but I still feel it's only OK and way too expensive. I guess through the years I've been to much nicer spots than Door County. It's nice, but nothing very special IMO.

I'm always looking for good races and good experiences..
I know your a veteran of the sport so I'd be interested in hearing what non WTC branded races you would put in the "Special" category?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Door County Triathlon [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Great location.
Family friendly
Great local support
Free race photos.

I'm always looking for good races and good experiences..
I know your a veteran of the sport so I'd be interested in hearing what non WTC branded races you would put in the "Special" category?

I have a few on my "not done yet" list in addition to some I am either signed up for, or have done at far less $$ than DC. I hear great things about any of the races in Grand Rapids (Grand Rapids, Titanium and others in Michigan), High Cliff, Chisago Lakes, Great Floridian to name a few. I am doing the Las Vegas 1/2 and Miamiman 1/2 at a fraction of the price and IMO much better locations as far as things to do as in DC. I've done DC a few times, so do have experience there and have had excellent results. In fact I suggested they offer Door County Brewery beers instead of the old Michelob swill they used to have, and stay away from the bean burgers unless you have extra TP close at hand for 2 days (not My experience as I would never go there). Just for me, after 2 days of nothing but looking at trees and seeing mediocre overpriced restaurants with goats grazing on the roof, I'm ready to get the hell out of there (granted with some great Door County Cherries!). As I said, it's a cool world out there and I'm looking forward to racing in Nice, Marbella, and even Grand Rapids and a few other locations that have more than what DC offers.
Quote Reply