Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [Strategic Thinking and Lifetime Gains in the Age of Coronavirus]
Quote | Reply
Basically, there's four elements to my newfound running:
  1. It happened organically... accidentally. GRADUALLY. And fun! I just started waking up and doing an AM shakeout in addition to any run workout or "workout" for the day.
  2. Ironically having kids at home all day allows me to get up and workout first thing in the morning, which for me is an amazing tonic. 15-20min super easy easy on the treadmill catching up on quarantine YouTube vlogs.
  3. The last time I did this I leveled up into a new zip code for HIM runs.
  4. This has been going on for the last 11 (!) weeks.
And there's five elements to how I framed the environment strategically that reinforced my behavior and choices:
  1. Your center of gravity is running.
  2. Nobody is swimming, NOBODY is racing. You have a free pass.
  3. Worrying about your swim is focusing on the past.
  4. Running is living in the present and focusing on the future. Control what you can control. You can run every day.
  5. The losses are temporary, the gains you make are forever.
Running is important. It boosts moods. It helps regulate body composition. It's part of triathlon. It's easy and free. Nobody is swimming. Stressing about not swimming only adds stress to your body and makes you older. It's an opportunity. You don't have to be extreme, no outliers. Just be different in such a way that gives you an edge. Finally, triathlon is all about the run, if only because it's last. Adjust your perspective, change your focus, learn something new. Build on your *strengths*, not worry about your weaknesses.

So now my week looks something like this:

2, 3.5
2, 4
2, 9.5
2, 4
2, 9.5
2, 4

Total: 62.5

YMMV,

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: May 24, 20 3:20
Quote Reply
Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Finally, triathlon is all about the run

I agree with everything you said but this.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like this post and it makes me want to run more.

i have the perfect opportunity early in the morning to go get a few easy miles in, but i typically will break out the ipad instead and play games. probably the worst way to wake up.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Basically, there's four elements to my newfound running:
  1. It happened organically... accidentally. GRADUALLY. And fun! I just started waking up and doing an AM shakeout in addition to any run workout or "workout" for the day.
  2. Ironically having kids at home all day allows me to get up and workout first thing in the morning, which for me is an amazing tonic. 15-20min super easy easy on the treadmill catching up on quarantine YouTube vlogs.
  3. The last time I did this I leveled up into a new zip code for HIM runs.
  4. This has been going on for the last 11 (!) weeks.
And there's five elements to how I framed the environment strategically that reinforced my behavior and choices:
  1. Your center of gravity is running.
  2. Nobody is swimming, NOBODY is racing. You have a free pass.
  3. Worrying about your swim is focusing on the past.
  4. Running is living in the present and focusing on the future. Control what you can control. You can run every day.
  5. The losses are temporary, the gains you make are forever.
Running is important. It boosts moods. It helps regulate body composition. It's part of triathlon. It's easy and free. Nobody is swimming. Stressing about not swimming only adds stress to your body and makes you older. It's an opportunity. You don't have to be extreme, no outliers. Just be different in such a way that gives you an edge. Finally, triathlon is all about the run, if only because it's last. Adjust your perspective, change your focus, learn something new. Build on your *strengths*, not worry about your weaknesses.

So now my week looks something like this:

2, 3.5
2, 4
2, 9.5
2, 4
2, 9.5
2, 4

Total: 62.5

YMMV,

E

Similar story here. All I have done is increased the amount of easy running I do. No additional interval sessions, no intensity whatsoever - just more easy running first thing on a morning. Its been a bit of a revelation and I feel great during the day working in my office at home. If I keep this up I am looking forward to seeing what effect it has on my speed. I have a lot of parkrun results just before the lockdown. I am going to compare them once we get to parkrun again. Like you I am not letting the lack of any pool time get me down either.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A most excellent post!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don’t want your coach to know, why have a coach?

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Nobody is swimming.
Nobody is swimming.
I am swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Nobody is swimming.
Nobody is swimming.

I am swimming.

I was supposed to go into a big swim block on March 9th after the 100/100 as this weekend was supposed to be Canadian Masters Swimming Nationals. Instead we went into lockdown a few days after that, and I only missed two days of running (March 10th and another one along the way). So basically running 8 hrs per week, biking 3-8 hrs and on the rowing machine for 2-3 hrs per week. But like Eric's the main focus just ended up being running. I should cross 1000km running during lockdown shortly just in time to be joining the swim ranks in a few days with lakes getting warm enough. Unlike Sweden, we won't have pool access for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, I haven’t ran a single step since 31 March (I tore my meniscus playing with the kids). So I won’t be a threat anyway when competitions are back (much like before, that is).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

[/li]
  • Nobody is swimming.

• Lots of people swimming at least in Texas. In lakes, in pools, and probably the ocean if you live down there. But I’ve taken an approach to avoid swimming and focus on bike and run myself.

ericMPro wrote:
    The losses are temporary, the gains you make are forever.

I fundamentally disagree with this. You never truly gain back 100% of what you lost. This is just something coaches tell athletes to make them feel better. Other than that, good post
    Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 24, 20 10:55
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    So, what's your cycling at?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    "worrying about your swim is focusing on the past"

wiser words have never been said.. prior to Covid-19 pandemic
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [stevej] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    stevej wrote:
    I agree with everything you said but this.

How can you disagree with what I said if you didn't hear what I *said*? You must not know me well enough...

What's the run all about?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
    Last edited by: ericMPro: May 24, 20 10:51
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    "woah, dude, you don't want to get dropped by your coach midseason" - Surfing Lamb

I've been pumping up the run too...running without worrying about hitting the right #s for a season plan is kind of liberating
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Dean T wrote:
    If you don’t want your coach to know, why have a coach?

We like to challenge each other.

It's like 3D chess... we're keeping each other sharp ;)

Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    DFW_Tri wrote:
    ericMPro wrote:

[/li]
  • Nobody is swimming.

• Lots of people swimming at least in Texas. In lakes, in pools, and probably the ocean if you live down there. But I’ve taken an approach to avoid swimming and focus on bike and run myself.

ericMPro wrote:
    The losses are temporary, the gains you make are forever.

I fundamentally disagree with this. You never truly gain back 100% of what you lost. Other than that, good post

In swimming? Think about the thickness of water, and the ROE. If your logic was true, even basic recovery wouldn't work.

Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    TheStroBro wrote:
    So, what's your cycling at?

The same. 6-10hrs/wk? I don't know, I don't track. It's transparent. I never get tired, I never take a day off. I just do what I'm told. Catch up on YouTube subscriptions, podcasts, movies, etc.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Have been running 100 a week. It's keeping me sane through all of this.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [SwimBikeChase] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    SwimBikeChase wrote:
    Have been running 100 a week. It's keeping me sane through all of this.

Running 100 miles per week doesn’t sound sane. Or did you mean ‘a week’, as in only one week?
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I feel like there's a lot of us that do this...

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    "It's easy and free" you must not be running in the Nike next %
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    My son who just started running in college following a church mission came home when they shut down real classes and so I started to adapt my running to his. I realized pretty quickly that I could not run with him six days a week, so I strategically run with him on an easy (for him) Monday run, then also the two threshold runs and one long run he is doing. After about 10 weeks of consistent training we decided to time trial 8k/5miles last week and I was pretty pleased witht he result. I have not raced or tt'ed anything longer than 5K in a decade.
    At first I wondered what the point was, but I've decided I will work on my new decade (I turn 50) pr's so that I have worthy targets to aim at in the coming years. Plus, I decided he will never live here again like this so not running with him would be a lost opportunity.
    Unfortunately, his school already cancelled his fall season (we will see) so like you and me and everyone else, we are wondering about our next race.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [cdw] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    that sounds super cool. I'm having similar experiences with my kids but at a different scale because they're 7 and 10. My 7yo likes to ride the pump track so I'm getting sucked into that... we even visited the local BMX track. Opportunity for a lifetime of memories.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    BMX is the way to go, I loved BMX as a kid, then got into the whole freestyle thing as a kid and had to have a Haro in the 80s. Saved up from caddying and bought one. Bought a 1988 Haro Team Sport frame the other day that I am going to restore up to as close to original specs as possible, and who knows take it to the skate park and break a leg. Sorry about the rant...BMX is freedom for a kid...more kids need bikes
    Quote Reply
    Re: Don't Tell My Coach, But I Am Running 60-65mpw Now [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Going on week 4. Albeit week 2 I only managed 90.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next