Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dolan Disc Brake Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this will be the start of affordable disc brake tri bikes. Dolan used to make custom steel and alu frames for the likes of Boardman but now sources frames from Asia and sells them on in the UK and Europe. Overall very good customer service and the bikes typically get good reviews.

It's being shown at the UK cycle show now so I suspect more pics and specs, especially pricing, will be available soon but it does look good. No doubt this frame can be bought direct from some factory but I haven't gone digging.
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Disc Brake Tri Bike [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't ride a bike that ugly...
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Disc Brake Tri Bike [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colour aside, I don't it looks too bad at all. Certainly if you put it next to a P5X :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Disc Brake Tri Bike [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, colour is the only thing I like about that bike...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its amazing how well things review when you give a magazine full of staff a free one. See Planet X bikes a decade ago and some well known tri mags.

Personally I think that looks awful, not due to the discs but due due to the "it looks aero so lets call it aero" frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Disc Brake Tri Bike [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
Its amazing how well things review when you give a magazine full of staff a free one. See Planet X bikes a decade ago and some well known tri mags.

Personally I think that looks awful, not due to the discs but due due to the "it looks aero so lets call it aero" frame.

Fair points, however I have a Dolan track bike and was very impressed with how effortlessly they replaced a fork damaged in transit. So my personal experience of dealing with them is rather positive. Second, their track bikes are *very* competitive, and this is what they're primarily known for these days.

None of us have any idea how aero that frame is, and maybe you're right, and it isn't at all slippery. My point in posting is that finally we're seeing some generic disc brake frames hitting the market and I suspect this will ensure other companies lower their premiums on their disc brake offerings, such as QR or Cannondale for instance. I don't see how we lose out here, other than the affront to your (and others) aesthetic sensibilities.

SteveMc
Last edited by: SteveMc: Sep 28, 18 2:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prices for the Dolan:

They're still targeting the middle to top end of the tri market but at least it can be had for less than a small car.
Quote Reply