Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does this look like the bike of a cheater?
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the image below...

Looks pretty innocent right? Well thatā€™s an ā€œaero e-bikeā€ believe it or not with a 250w motor and a battery thatā€™s good for two hours at full power. The electric assist is only good for 20mph but I guarantee you thereā€™s a workaround. How long until we see these in a transition area? How long until someone uses one to KQ?
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s pretty nice looking actually.

I donā€™t think you need full power, just a little assist. 20-30 extra watts in your next Ironman bike leg would mean either a much faster bike leg, much faster run leg or both.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They already have officials checking bikes with phone apps for ebikes at larger races
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing. If you look at more images of that bike, it truly is ā€œstealthā€. Top tube bag, couple of bottles, and some clip on aero bars and it would blend in in any transition area. No idea what sort of noise it makes but Iā€™d bet minimal.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
They already have officials checking bikes with phone apps for ebikes at larger races

Great justification for overnight bike dropoff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fin Man might be considering a comeback.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

If the system was powered down I have no idea how theyā€™d find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Orbea Gain is another bike that looks no different than a traditional road bike. It does worry me that these types of things might be showing up in transition and in Gran Fondos, etc at some point. While 20mph might be a ā€˜limiterā€™ on the flats, it would make climbing easier.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

You can use magnetometers to detect magnets and inductive proximity sensors to detect ferrous metal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very simple answer: WEIGHT and FRAME. The E-bikes are at least 5-10 lbs heavier than a regular tri-bike (15-19 lbs) so just weighting the bike would be enough but looking at the frame, the top and bottom tubes are way wider since that's where the parts are built in. At least on the couple I've already seen on the road from fellow cyclist so not sure if ALL of them are the same but 3 different brands confirm my hypothesis partially.

P.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the side, it looks pretty slick. The rear hub is a dead giveaway however.

I like ebikes because it keeps my spouse in the game to ride together, given her time/commitment is less than mine.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Jun 30, 19 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [Sapix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder How long does it take to weigh 2700 bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

You can use magnetometers to detect magnets and inductive proximity sensors to detect ferrous metal.

Fair enough but if youā€™re just magnet hunting a transition area will set off a ton of false positives (hell, my bike in race trim has... counting... nine magnets on it).

TBH, while Iā€™d love to see rules officials checking bikes at large races, Iā€™m doubtful they would be effective.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The Orbea Gain is another bike that looks no different than a traditional road bike. It does worry me that these types of things might be showing up in transition and in Gran Fondos, etc at some point. While 20mph might be a ā€˜limiterā€™ on the flats, it would make climbing easier.

I already figured out how to get it up to ~22mph by changing a single setting in the app :)
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [Sapix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sapix wrote:
Very simple answer: WEIGHT and FRAME. The E-bikes are at least 5-10 lbs heavier than a regular tri-bike (15-19 lbs) so just weighting the bike would be enough but looking at the frame, the top and bottom tubes are way wider since that's where the parts are built in. At least on the couple I've already seen on the road from fellow cyclist so not sure if ALL of them are the same but 3 different brands confirm my hypothesis partially.

P.

I think that was true on the first generation of bikes but look at some of the other pictures of that Bianchi. Fairly svelte. Maybe not a true aero road bike but I guarantee you the downtube of a Synapse is wider and blunter and nobody would bat an eye at one of those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I wonder How long does it take to weigh 2700 bikes

Plus the bike I posted weighs 26lbs. Is that really that far out of the norm? I think not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not THAT discernable once there's a hydration system, 2 normal full bottles (or even fake-full to put inspectors off the scent) , a tool pack etc etc all strapped to the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t care what people show up on in a Gran Fondo
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple: lifetime ban from all sanctioned triathlons if you use a motor. USAT should just state that now.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
From the side, it looks pretty slick. The rear hub is a dead giveaway however.

I like ebikes because it keeps my spouse in the game to ride together, given her time/commitment is less than mine.

I was going to say that the hub on this one is the give away but does someone make a hub drive disc wheel? Or just use a wheel cover to hide the hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just check the podium finishers or top 10 in each age group or something after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this look like the bike of a cheater? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I donā€™t care what people show up on in a Gran Fondo

Ok well then, I guess it we shouldn't worry about it since you don't care

Gran Fondo's are not all just big group rides...some races around the US pretty competitive (some also offering prize purses) to the point the people are getting caught doping: https://cyclingtips.com/...new-york-gran-fondo/

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s fine. Do it for some that are competitive or allow people to opt out for prizes. I donā€™t want to pay more for the fun gran fondos that I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I thought the same thing. If you look at more images of that bike, it truly is ā€œstealthā€. Top tube bag, couple of bottles, and some clip on aero bars and it would blend in in any transition area. No idea what sort of noise it makes but Iā€™d bet minimal.

I had this exact bike pass me on a greenway a few weeks ago. I heard the electric whining of the motor before I saw it. It wasn't very loud but it was distinctive and I instantly noticed the large rear hub.
Quote Reply

Prev Next