Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does the profile of tomorrow TT course put Landis at a disadvantage?
Quote | Reply
I know Floyd is motivated to win tomorrow and that he is considered the better time trialist, but the course tomorrow is very different than the course for the first time trial. That one was a lot less technical than the one tomorrow, which, as I understand it, has many short hills, sharp turns, and narrow streets. It is the kind of course that will get one to frequently get out of the saddle to power up hills and out of corners. Given Floyd's hip problem, will this put him at a disadvantage?

Landis may not have as much of an advantage tomorrow as people suspect. I'm still rooting for him, however.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Does the profile of tomorrow TT course put Landis at a disadvantage? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see yesterdays stage? I think Floyd can climb and turn corners just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the profile of tomorrow TT course put Landis at a disadvantage? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging by how he put time on the field on the descents yesterday, which had a lot of very narrow and short switchbacks to accelerate out of, I don't think he'd be compromised too badly by the TT course.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the profile of tomorrow TT course put Landis at a disadvantage? [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, unfortunately, I don't have access to cable so best I can do is follow it from work via velonews and cycling news. I know Floyd can climb, but getting out of the saddle to hammer over a small roller to keep momentum or accelerate out of a corner is very different than applying sustaining power on a long climb. My understanding, and perhaps I have this wrong, is that Floyd's hip hinders his ability to get out of the saddle and hammer for short but extreme bursts.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]My understanding, and perhaps I have this wrong, is that Floyd's hip hinders his ability to get out of the saddle and hammer for short but extreme bursts.
[/reply]

That makes two of us wrong then, because I thought I had also read that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have been watching this tour and these "hip" threads with special interest an figured it was time to join the conversation.

Seeing him ride like he has for the last 3 weeks and reading his interviews, to me it is obvious that he is in pain ALL THE TIME, but he some how is able to continue with little drop in performance. (that's just crazy) The sufferfest he had on Wednesday followed by the power he showed the next day are a testimony to his mental toughness as wel as physical resilience. If he was able to ride as aggressively Thursday as he did, I can't see him having trouble riding the TT Saturday. All that said, I don't know if he will be able to make up the time; it's been such a unpredictable Tour so far, who know what will happeen. And I haven't even looked at today.

Disclaimer: I never had the screws that Landis has, nor could I ever ride like him, but I do have about as much Titanium in my hips as a LiteSpeed Blade.

RIGHT HIP 07/21/04

LEFT HIP 02/21/05

--------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilt with twice as many titanium parts as Portland79.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A technical course is very good for Floyd. He is one of the best bike handlers in the peloton, and (obviously) an excellent climber. Unusually, he is able to transfer these skills quite successfully to the TT bike. He is the big favorite to win Saturday's stage.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he put 30 sec. back into Sastre on the decent

Floyd comes from an mtb background so I'm sure he loves the technical stuff
Quote Reply