Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:
I was 31. I’m now 43. So yeah kind of late and no family history. I am aware of Gary hall Jnr as well. I remember he also said he was going to smash the Aussie relay team ‘like guitars’ in the Olympics, and they got beaten. As an Aussie I prefer this memory lol. But yeah, he was a gun I know.

Ah, I see, did not realize you are an Aussie. Going back to training, I would guess that you do the weights year-round??? Were you a weight trainer pre-triathlon or vice versa??? How long have you been doing tri??? With a name like "IamSpartacus" I'm going to guess you are a pretty big guy???

Weights all year round yep. And yeh I have done weights for many years I’m a gym instructor/pt so have always done it even for vanity. These days as I’m older I Do a lot more functional training for tri specific.
As for spartacus I’m just a fan lol. My weight oscillates between 73-77kga depending on time of year and Nutella consumption 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:
I was 31. I’m now 43. So yeah kind of late and no family history. I am aware of Gary hall Jnr as well. I remember he also said he was going to smash the Aussie relay team ‘like guitars’ in the Olympics, and they got beaten. As an Aussie I prefer this memory lol. But yeah, he was a gun I know.

Ah, I see, did not realize you are an Aussie. Going back to training, I would guess that you do the weights year-round??? Were you a weight trainer pre-triathlon or vice versa??? How long have you been doing tri??? With a name like "IamSpartacus" I'm going to guess you are a pretty big guy???

Weights all year round yep. And yeh I have done weights for many years I’m a gym instructor/pt so have always done it even for vanity. These days as I’m older I Do a lot more functional training for tri specific.
As for spartacus I’m just a fan lol. My weight oscillates between 73-77kga depending on time of year and Nutella consumption 😂

How tall???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

So in U.S. terms you are about 5'10.5" and 160-170 lbs. With low body fat, you are well muscled but not huge. Spencer Smith from England, a top tri guy in the 90s and early 00s, was about your size. Won the '93 ITU World Champs at the Oly distance at age 20, and this was before ITU became draft-legal. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredibly helpful answer from Dr. Harrison in this thread. Hope original video guy sees it.

This fella Lachlan Earnshaw's experience brings to mind this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/...772746221117440?s=20

Different scenario (too many processed/fake carbs instead of too much processed/fake protein) but similar mindset and result. Skinny finance bro with bad relationship to food tries Ironman training. Result is digestive disaster.

Remember folks: Eat real food first and go from there!

The world's only show focused on duathlon 🏃‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️
NEW EP: How to Win a 5k
https://podcasts.apple.com/...0739?i=1000641392144
https://open.spotify.com/...1ClQ5bg4dTYQjPdCR7x0
https://sites.google.com/view/andrewdbrown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welllll there’s always room for less body fat lol. But yeh I don’t really think about it now. It’s like transition, it’s just another thing to manage. I’m on autopilot with checks etc
Quote Reply
Re: [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabetes is purely about insulin i.e. carbs.
It happens when the pancreas can't get a break from having to secrete insulin. It is not the same as insulin-resistance, which is associated with obesity and inability to burn fat. Someone who never makes their body burn fat is likely to get all of these. If you're eating a little sugar during and after training, that will just go to your muscles. But if you're proactively guzzling sugar before training and trying to carb-load throughout the day (including huge numbers during easy sessions), then your insulin is shooting way up all the time and you're at risk.
Steve Redgrave, who has maybe 8 olympic golds in rowing, was diabetic during his last olympic season. He was fainting and putting on weight but couldn't afford to underfuel a single session.
Quote Reply
Re: [emceemanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emceemanners wrote:
Diabetes is purely about insulin i.e. carbs.
It happens when the pancreas can't get a break from having to secrete insulin. It is not the same as insulin-resistance, which is associated with obesity and inability to burn fat. Someone who never makes their body burn fat is likely to get all of these. If you're eating a little sugar during and after training, that will just go to your muscles. But if you're proactively guzzling sugar before training and trying to carb-load throughout the day (including huge numbers during easy sessions), then your insulin is shooting way up all the time and you're at risk.
Steve Redgrave, who has maybe 8 olympic golds in rowing, was diabetic during his last olympic season. He was fainting and putting on weight but couldn't afford to underfuel a single session.

So your assertion is that the vast majority of people with Type II Diabetes aren't insulin resistant, they are just hypoinsulinemic?
Quote Reply
Re: [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People classify "diabetes" by blood glucose being persistently high, so extreme insulin-resistance of your muscles would give this diabetes symptom too, but insulin would still be produced - the muscles just aren't taking it in.
They are separate problems with the same cause. Call them both diabetes or not, but the cure is the same.
Obviously not talking about people with defective pancreas from birth who can't produce enough insulin bo matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emceemanners wrote:
People classify "diabetes" by blood glucose being persistently high, so extreme insulin-resistance of your muscles would give this diabetes symptom too, but insulin would still be produced - the muscles just aren't taking it in.
They are separate problems with the same cause. Call them both diabetes or not, but the cure is the same.
Obviously not talking about people with defective pancreas from birth who can't produce enough insulin bo matter what.

All Type II Diabetics produce insulin, they just don't produce enough because they need more than normal because their tissue is insulin resistant.

Type I Diabetics don't produce insulin, but that's an entirely different cause (autoimmune destruction of the Beta cells of the pancreas).

What's the cure? Usually people who reverse Type II diabetes lose weight and get aerobically fitter, maybe add muscle mass. Is that what you're talking about?

Many Type II diabetics take insulin like Type I diabetics, but that's really not considered a cure, because the underlying insulin resistance is still present and their hyperglycemia will worsen if they stop taking the insulin.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Aug 13, 23 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Welllll there’s always room for less body fat lol. But yeh I don’t really think about it now. It’s like transition, it’s just another thing to manage. I’m on autopilot with checks etc

Good that you are on autopilot. Keep up the good work!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Here's an article I wrote that details why. TLDR: your pancreas functions differently during exercise than any other time.
T.

This article was helpful, thank you Alex. A neighbor explained that she tends to do better with carb intake vs increasing protein,
had experienced weight loss more easily. she's 60 now and has started into lifting weights to pre empt muscle loss.

Quote from the piece, bears out her experience:
Body Composition and Glycogen Storage
Paradoxically, consuming sugar during and immediately after exercise may actually improve body composition. This is because storing muscle glycogen (the storage form of carbohydrates) in muscles is a fat-burning process. Your body burns fat, to accomplish the physical storage of glycogen. Something has to provide the energy for stringing all the glucose molecules together in muscle cells and that ‘something,’ is fat. So, when you store up glycogen, it’s a fat-burning process. To add to all the good news around glycogen storage, muscles stocked with glycogen tend to build more muscle proteins at rest, which further promotes fat burning and blood sugar reduction.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
This was posted on Reddit as well and the gist of Dr Harrison's comment was "sponsored by SFuels...enough said"

Which subreddit? It sounds like one I would be interested in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so how much fat you eat doesn't matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
This was posted on Reddit as well and the gist of Dr Harrison's comment was "sponsored by SFuels...enough said"

Which subreddit? It sounds like one I would be interested in.
R/triathlon. It’s mostly newcomers to the sport. You’re better off here.
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [TheDuathlonShow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheDuathlonShow wrote:
Incredibly helpful answer from Dr. Harrison in this thread. Hope original video guy sees it.

This fella Lachlan Earnshaw's experience brings to mind this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/...772746221117440?s=20

Different scenario (too many processed/fake carbs instead of too much processed/fake protein) but similar mindset and result. Skinny finance bro with bad relationship to food tries Ironman training. Result is digestive disaster.

This is what no one has mentioned yet. Your gut microbiome IMHO is the centre to good health and stuffing endless carbs and then also processed food in there creates an unhealthy microbiome. If you eat real food with a good dose of fibre then as the original video around this post centres and he discovered you feel better.
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
TheDuathlonShow wrote:

This is what no one has mentioned yet. Your gut microbiome IMHO is the centre to good health and stuffing endless carbs and then also processed food in there creates an unhealthy microbiome. If you eat real food with a good dose of fibre then as the original video around this post centres and he discovered you feel better.

So real, good food when you aren't training and glucose/fructose for longish efforts when you are training? I can't see otherwise how you could manage 100+gms per hour on a ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
TheDuathlonShow wrote:

So real, good food when you aren't training and glucose/fructose for longish efforts when you are training? I can't see otherwise how you could manage 100+gms per hour on a ride?

I have no idea of now many grams of carbs I am consuming on a ride or why people are trying to consume that much? Bananas and oat based energy bars for me. Maybe stop at a store to buy a gatorade and a muffin on a big day. Powder in the bottles and gels roll out closer to race day to condition the body for an Ironman and I'm just north of the 9 hour mark for reference on a good day. Gels I carry for convenience on long ride days just in case I feel I need one.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Aug 13, 23 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. Diabetes has nothing to do with fat intake. It correlates only because the people who dominate diabetes statistics eat too much of everything. Same way saturated fat only correlates with various vascular health issues. It's the palm oil in the cookies and the meat in the fast food that distract from the common denominator. High-sugar diets are also high-fat diets across the general population.
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
TheDuathlonShow wrote:

Yes.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Harrison - thanks for your valuable insights here, as always. Do you have any thoughts on the whole "building your fat oxidation" approach to training that is also being discussed in this video and many others in this vein? I.e., restricting carbs around aerobic/fat max type training while introducing more for higher end work?

In for the collab with Dr. Plews if it happens!!
Last edited by: swissalps88: Aug 14, 23 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [swissalps88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do! TLDR: not necessary or helpful to accomplish fat adaptation via dietary manipulation until you're competing at an extremely high level, approaching your genetic limits due to 8-12 years of consistent training history. Any time before that, ones efforts are better spent on just training well and recovering well because the tradeoffs are many and sometimes quite large.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if you are at your maximum fat oxidation wats you are still burning carbs. If you’re doing a long ride and carb restricting as you’re trying to hit fat max oxidation and get adaptions there you are hampering recovery and decreasing hormones by restriction of carbs

Not trying to disagree with what you’ve said just a slightly different emphasis

For the regular age grouper just eat and drink enough and have fun
Quote Reply
Re: Does high carb cause diabetes? [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I should have clarified my main point. The only time it might be useful to manipulate carb intake to drive fat burning ability is if the athlete is extremely high level and experienced.

For even more clarity: I never actually prescribe lower carbs with the goal of improving fat ox. Just haven't found a use case where I thought pros outweighed the cons.

I know one very smart person who sometimes does, but in very limited instances and he laughed when I asked about if he ever recommended it for mid-level athletes. (roughly 99.8% of AG'ers in his book would not be high enough level.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep.... :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next