Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this?
Quote | Reply
Recently purchased the Wahoo Elemnt Roam. I can track heart rate when riding outside, plus it connects to Zwift.
But what about running? I really don't want to have to go out and get a $200 watch just to track HR.
I have looked but can't find a reasonably priced watch that will pair with the chest strap. Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How simple? The garmin 45 is the cheapest watch by garmin that does what you need, but it also does a lot more.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
How simple? The garmin 45 is the cheapest watch by garmin that does what you need, but it also does a lot more.

35 would do it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the head unit of the Wazoo device when I bike, it displays everything, including HR. So when I hope off the bike to run, it would be nice to know HR. I don't care for or want GPS, so the only functions I track when I run are time and HR. I have been running the same dozen routes for over thirty years, so I have the distances down.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't say what HRM you are using or what your Zwift setup is.

But perhaps an ANT+ dongle might be the cheapest way to get HR off your chest strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what strap you have, but I would lean towards A) using your phone, there are several apps that will track HR B)Look for a used Garmin, Sunnto ETC, likely could get one for 60-80 if you dont care about all the new features.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyones replies.
My strap is part of the Wahoo Roam bundle (speed, cadence, HR, all Wahoo products). The chest strap talks to the head unit on my bike. But if if get off the bike and run, now I cant read HR. So a simple watch that can connect to the Wahoo HR chest strap would be ideal. Earlier reply suggested an ANT + dongle, which sounds promising. Is this something someone else has done? Again, I dont want some huge expensive GPS reading watch. For me that is a waste of money. Simple is what I'm after.

I'll look online and see if any ANT + watches will pair with the Wahoo strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you only using this just for Zwift? or are you using outdoors as well?
I believe the HRM for that bundle is dual. So it would work with Bluetooth as well as ANT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ANT+ would be for your connection to Zwift. Since you have a Wahoo TICKR, that shouldn't be necessary as it has the ability to do bluetooth directly to your computer, laptop, ipad, etc.

Are you wanting to see HR while you run or just when you are done?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I am biking, either on the trainer or on the road, my TICKR or Zwift displays my HR. No issues when I bike.

If for example, say I want to do a brick. I get off my trainer, or my road bike, wearing my chest strap. I go for a run. I need a watch (not my Iphone, only heathens run with a phone) so I can see my heart rate. Someone out there must make a watch that will connect to the TICKER. I don't want a watch that has GPS or can land a moon module. Just a watch that will display time and HR. I do not care if it connects to a computer, I just want to monitor my HR as I run.

Seems to be a few options online. My OP was asking if anyone else knows of a watch that synchs with the Wahoo TICKR HRM. I guess I was a bit unclear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any watch with ant+ or bluetooth will connect with the Wahoo strap. However, you keep saying you don't want GPS. I'm not aware of a watch with ANT+ and/or Bluetooth that does not also have GPS.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Any watch with ant+ or bluetooth will connect with the Wahoo strap. However, you keep saying you don't want GPS. I'm not aware of a watch with ANT+ and/or Bluetooth that does not also have GPS.

rats... I was hoping to save that expense. Running with GPS is wasted on me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About the cheapest thing I can think of without buying something used would be an Apple Watch Series 3 model. It has built in heart rate (works for some, doesn't for others) but will connect to your Wahoo strap. They can be had for $169 on sale at the moment on Amazon. Yes, it has GPS but it's under your $200 threshold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If just want ANT+ watch to read your chest strap.. find an used older watch (Timex GPS run/ Garmin).
Just because the watch has all the added goodies.. you can turn off GPS (will save battery) and just use for HR monitoring.
Looking at the classifieds there are a bunch that will fit your needs..
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

35 would do it too.

Yep. Refurbished 35's can be found on ebay for $65. /end thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking a bit out of the box here, would you find a Fitbit acceptable? The issue is that I don’t think Fitbits will accept a connection from a Bluetooth HRM. You’d be relying on their optical HRM. And fitbits are pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen this a few times on Amazon and Walmart for under $100: https://www.walmart.com/...lking-Runni/36316561 No idea how accurate or reliable it is. It comes with its own strap, but it should pair with your Wahoo strap as well...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Drop the head unit in a pocket? Zero cost? /thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazfit Bip S. $69ish. Optical HR, phone app that can up load to Strava. Looks a little dorky. On amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:

Drop the head unit in a pocket? Zero cost? /thread

Running with a heavy heady unit bouncing around in my pocket.....umm.....no.
Plus, I'm a runner with 30 or more pairs of shorts and splits. No pockets for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know of a simple watch that can do this? [txcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txcrna wrote:
Amazfit Bip S. $69ish. Optical HR, phone app that can up load to Strava. Looks a little dorky. On amazon.

This looks very promising. It's lightweight, I hate big bulky heavy watches.
I'll order from Prime, and return it if it doesn't pair with Wahoo.
Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply