Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides?
Quote | Reply
I am not totally familiar with computrainers and i was just wondering if they do anything to eliminate the boredom of indoor rides?

Right now, I just use a trainer with spinervals and that does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting, although I am getting tired of seeing the same spinervals over and over again.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Computrainer less boring than fluid trainer

Fluid trainer + TV less boring than computrainer

That being said, computrainer is an invaluable tool. It is a lot like a rowing ergometer, but for biking. If you have ever used a Concept II rowing machine and found it less boring than say, a treadmill, then you might like the way the computrainer affects the mental aspect of your workouts. If you like working out and watching TV, then stick with that, cause it's hard to watch the computrainer screen and a TV consistently.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am getting tired of seeing the same spinervals over and over again.
Amen, Brother
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you focus on your technique, etc. while watching TV? Personally I drift and don't put as much into it. Computrainer 3D looked pretty neat, but for $300.00 not $1,200.00.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the 3D concept that there's a little something to look at? I just like a diversion every now and then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar has it just about right, although I'll add rollers into the mix and say that they, when combined with TV, are quite exciting. The more wild the movie, the better the roller ride becomes. Hockey also makes for a good roller ride, although with the NHL locked out for the indefinite future I won't be able to pursue that avenue. Since getting my CT last winter, 90% of my indoor rides were on it, 8% on the rollers, and 2% of the trainer. The rollers and trainer have access to the TV, but the CT is in the computer room, isolated. But what am I doing -- watching TV or getting a serious workout?? So, the CT is the tool of choice. It is a truly wonderful device!
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you focus on your technique for a 2 1/2 hour indoor ride? If so, you are a better man than I. I focus on technique during the "plot" parts of Lord of the Rings (great to ride to), and the TV during the "action" parts. Setting the zone alarms on your HRM helps keep you honest.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used spinervals, music, TV, and just the computrainer. While it may not be the most fun, what makes a workout go by the quickest (and by far reap the most benefit) is to use the computrainer in ergometer mode (which basically keeps the wattage constant despite the RPMs) in conjunction with a training program (for example the workouts designed by Michael McCormack). Killer workouts.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While a CT will certainly entertain you while you ride, and riding a course will mix it up as far as terrain is concerned, I think the biggest benefit from a CT comes from doing specific workouts. Intervals with HR or wattage targets, motor pacing off the CT pacer, or other workouts make the time go by way faster. Just spinning for an hour or more can be very taxing mentally, doing a series of intervals gives you something to think about and focus on, and the time passes much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no

I have used rollers, trainers, CT

Only the rollers require totaly concentration at least in my case (and hence boredom)

the only thing that will alleviate boredom is a workout broken down as specifically as possible and done with purpose: e.g warm easy and 30s pick ups, then specific workouts for cadence, technique, power etc. warm down. I have ridden the CT courses (long rides) as prep for spring IM races and even there I try to concentrate and have a specific purpose other than getting in a ride for the sake of getting it in.

Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is how I use the CT now. After years of using the 3D software, I have move to the PC1 and just do spinscan rides now and do intervals or hills. The Interface is designed to give you all the info...HR, watts, rpms. I only do my long rides outside. I still have the CT set up in the living room in front of the TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(for example the workouts designed by Michael McCormack). Killer workouts.
Is there anything in the public domain? My rambling through his website turned up more "concept" documentation than actual workouts. I'm always on the lookout for new workout ideas. In response to the original poster, my answer would be, "Most definitely." Whether it's worth $1300 to you is another question, but it was for me. (Living in the great white north and having kids, I do a lot of early morning indoor and long weekend indoor rides.)
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [dre125038] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't think so, which is good for him, since he makes his living as a coach. In order to get "access" to his workouts you need to hire him. In my opinion, well worth the money in comparison to some of the other internet coaching that I've tried. The most detailed benchmark testing, workout schedule, and feedback that I've experienced out of 4 coaches.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only good drugs can do that !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my computrainer. But to beat back the blues I have a tv, vcr, dvd and surround sound.

While I don't focus on form often I do focus on HR. Seems to make for great workouts. Spent 3 hours on it last saturday, I'm up to stage 5 in the Tour so far.

Highly recommend. Plus you can use the output info from the computrainer to track your workouts. Great if you're following a plan. Now if I could just execute!

John
Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [dre125038] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Michael McCormack (www.triathloncoach.com) recommendation, especially for the time constrained athlete. The combination of the CT and his workout plan really allows you to get the most out of your training time. I ride on my CT 2 mornings a week all year long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computrainers not only curb boredom but allow you to analyze your performance of an indoor training session and track your progress. There is no better way to train indoors than on a computrainer.

TJ

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playstation2 helps eliminate boredom. The only problem is finding a comfortable postion to both pedal, and use the controller. one of those bike machines you see in gyms where you are basically in a chair with the pedals in front of you would be perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have powercranks, you can watch TV and focus on watching TV. The technique part takes care of itself. Now, THAT'S a great selling argument for Frank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience whatever you try will eventually drive you mad. The only answer is to keep mixing it up - sometimes Spinervals, sometimes a CT rendition of a course that you are going to do and sometimes a DVD. Workouts broken down into bite sized chunks of defined work as suggested above are also good.

I think that if you can afford it, a CT is a really valuable part of an indoor training mix that will keep you sitting on the saddle through the winter but it is not the whole answer - I expect you will return to Spinervals from time to time.

One other thought - before you shell out the cash check out what TACX are doing. They were showing a new trainer at the Bike show here in the UK a few weeks ago that linked real video (eg of Alpe D'Ouez) with the trainer - the faster you cycle the faster the video runs etc. I am not sure that the product is launched yet but it may be comparable in price to the CT and if it is really good you might be frustrated if you have just paid out big time for something else.

Quote Reply
Re: Does a computrainer help eliminate the boredom of indoor rides? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I'll second the Michael McCormack (www.triathloncoach.com) recommendation, especially for the time constrained athlete<<

Another satisfied M2 customer here. I ride my Computrainer religiously, mostly in erg mode these days (without the software, I just adjust wattage during my workout). The M2 workouts keep you focused because they are structured...and the challenge of meeting each interval goal taps into the same competitive spirit that keeps me riding hard on my group rides on the road. I got very strong this year using M2 workouts and I really feel they help me maximize my time. I'm a busy, professional single mom, and the Computrainer gives me the flexibility to keep to a workout schedule all year. I never train more than 12 hours a week and I am continuing to improve.

I find the feel of most other type of trainers difficult to take mentally....the Computrainer is much smoother. And since M2 has an almost endless variety of workouts, I never get bored. I can train in front of the tv w/o losing my focus...if you are working at a certain wattage within a prescribed cadence, you can't cheat....Of course, I do miss a lot of whatever I'm watching!!!!

Leigh
Quote Reply