Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022?
Quote | Reply
Got a pair of power tap P1 pedals and I think the bearings in the left one need servicing or are toast. Pedal just stopped spinning freely mid trainer ride. I've had them for well over 5 years and got them on sale, so if I just need to replace them its not a big deal. Is it worth pursuing servicing through SRAM?
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience it’s not worth pursuing with SRAM. I have one of the Powertap chainrings and when I wanted to have it serviced they told me they don’t have any parts for it or my Powertap hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Got a pair of power tap P1 pedals and I think the bearings in the left one need servicing or are toast. Pedal just stopped spinning freely mid trainer ride. I've had them for well over 5 years and got them on sale, so if I just need to replace them its not a big deal. Is it worth pursuing servicing through SRAM?

It’s worth dropping them a note. With their acquisition of Time pedals last year, power pedals are the one product acquired from PT that will probably move forward with updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had them full overhaul on mine. Service was exceptional. Turn around stellar. No complaints.

I had no power meter so bought one. The PowerTap are in my cabinet not used since. Should sell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They refused to look at mine a couple of years back. I ended up sending them half way round the world to these guys: cyclepowermeters.com who were awesome. I was pretty disappointed with the attitude I received from SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
They refused to look at mine a couple of years back. I ended up sending them half way round the world to these guys: cyclepowermeters.com who were awesome. I was pretty disappointed with the attitude I received from SRAM.

These are the exact same fellas I was going to suggest.
Always seem to get good feedback.

(Luckily not half way around the world for me; under 60 miles)
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t vouch for anything now but my power tap hub need work early pandemic and they handled it pretty quickly. No complaints at all with their service.
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reached out to SRAM in ~March, they said due to supply chain issues they wouldn't have any parts in for 3 months. But they said I could ship them my pedals and then "just wait", which was the opposite of helpful because I kinda need my pedals to ride my bike.

I bought a set of Assiomas instead. Happy with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent them an email a few months ago wondering if they did servicing on them and they said that they did. This is their exact response:

Quote:
Yes. We offer a $175 Bearing Service for your pedals. This includes new axles, bearings, seals, and re-calibration of the pedals. If you would like to send them in, please fill out the below form and get that back to me. Once submitted, you'll receive an auto-generated email with shipping instructions to us here in Spearfish, South Dakota. In-house service usually takes 3-5 business days. A tech then contacts you with findings and for payment info.

Please do let me know if you have questions at all.

Thanks,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info. probably not interested in spending almost $200 to service old pedals. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering you're basically getting back a fully refurbished and calibrated dual sided power meter you would otherwise throw away for $175, it seems like a decent deal for me
Quote Reply
Re: Does SRAM offer servicing for Powertap products in 2022? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
considering you're basically getting back a fully refurbished and calibrated dual sided power meter you would otherwise throw away for $175, it seems like a decent deal for me

Well actually when you put it that way it does seem reasonable. Dual sided pedals new are $800-1000 I think.
Quote Reply