Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri
Quote | Reply
Obv this year this question is going to be a little out of whack. But some back of the napkin math (which I may be totally off base on!)
Looks like he has about 10M video views since he started the channel in 2011. It would seem to me that much of this would have happened in the last 2-3 years though (his zwift race has ~600k views) and 100k subscribers.
Numbers can range a lot on what you make based on the ads, but I have heard $1-$1.50/subscriber is a ballpark from ad revenue alone. (so maybe around 150k/year) Plus anything he gets for ad placement or sponsors ETC.
I have 0 idea what a pro triathlete makes, but I know there are pro cyclists who make less than that and triathlon seems more niche than road racing.
Again all this could be totally wrong, and of course he would not have the social/youtube following he has without being a triathlete. But we can debate who is going to win what race, so we might as well debate this.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Lionel (he is just kinda lovable I guess) but have no idea why people want to watch him on YouTube.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 million views is nothing in the grand scheme of things for youtubers, but it is something. Whether or not he makes more on youtube or tri shouldn't even really be the debate. Triathlon helps his youtube channel and youtube helps his triathlon brand and the two have a symbiotic connection. Both are valuable but triathlon isn't a sport you do for the money. I have mentioned this before but if you go back to an Episode with him on TRS radio circa 2014-2015 he said he would stop the day it isn't fun anymore.

The thing about youtube and the internet in general, or any media is residual income. Lionel's youtube channel will exist long after he is done with triathlon. Whether it makes more or less than triathlon is irrelevant. What is relevant to me is how long will his videos stay relevant on youtube. People greatly underestimate the power of these annuities.

Fwiw, if Lionel did a single Fortnite video and partnered with Epic with someone syncing up say a treadmill to his character speed he would make more in that single episode than all other episodes combined. There is power is numbers and by the grand scheme of things Triathlon just isn't very popular.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
I like Lionel (he is just kinda lovable I guess) but have no idea why people want to watch him on YouTube.

He entertains me for the 10-15 minutes his videos last while I'm on the trainer
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
spockwaslen wrote:

He entertains me for the 10-15 minutes his videos last while I'm on the trainer

I forgot how stuff like that can entertain whilst on the trainer.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sponsors are seeking more activation from their sponsored Athletes. The triathlon and running markets are pretty small when you look at the reach of the most popular athletes. Compare this with the reach of the instagram model/youtuber types, there are tons of them out there with 500k instagram followers and 1M subs on youtube. 1M Subscribers, with a 10% interaction rate becomes a lot of cash.

But Lionel's fans are also more likely to identify with the brands he uses and buy those products. I can't say I've bought Gatorade Endurance because of him, but I have bought the product several times over since he's been sponsored. So that extra advertising probably has increased the conversion rate a lot. Tim & Rinny now run in Hoka exclusively...so I see Hoka a lot more.

It's an additional tool for Lionel to go to his sponsors with when he's re-negotiating his contract and say look, I have a 40% interaction rate on youtube.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Obv this year this question is going to be a little out of whack. But some back of the napkin math (which I may be totally off base on!)
Looks like he has about 10M video views since he started the channel in 2011. It would seem to me that much of this would have happened in the last 2-3 years though (his zwift race has ~600k views) and 100k subscribers.
Numbers can range a lot on what you make based on the ads, but I have heard $1-$1.50/subscriber is a ballpark from ad revenue alone. (so maybe around 150k/year) Plus anything he gets for ad placement or sponsors ETC.
I have 0 idea what a pro triathlete makes, but I know there are pro cyclists who make less than that and triathlon seems more niche than road racing.
Again all this could be totally wrong, and of course he would not have the social/youtube following he has without being a triathlete. But we can debate who is going to win what race, so we might as well debate this.

Think of it more like $.03-$.05 per view. Subscriber count has nothing to do with revenue. Still a very good sum, but not as much as you think per year.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

What Youtube pays can depend on the type of channel, but from what I have heard 1 million views will get you around $1,000, though this may have changed slightly since they changed the rules and only allowed more popular Youtubers to get paid.

All those views though will probably be pretty valuable to sponsors, so I would bet he is doing very well there, but it would be very hard to guess how much he is getting. Smart move though to have the Youtube channel, it will likely attract more people to his other forms of social media like Instagram, which will get him more money there, which will help him raise his profile, making him a good marketing tool for race organizers, potentially getting him some good appearance fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That last form goggle commercial from him was beyond cringe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of online calculators that estimate the earnings....at present the first one I checked says around $2400 a month from his channel...so not much at all really...
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Eroc43 wrote:

What Youtube pays can depend on the type of channel, but from what I have heard 1 million views will get you around $1,000, though this may have changed slightly since they changed the rules and only allowed more popular Youtubers to get paid.

All those views though will probably be pretty valuable to sponsors, so I would bet he is doing very well there, but it would be very hard to guess how much he is getting. Smart move though to have the Youtube channel, it will likely attract more people to his other forms of social media like Instagram, which will get him more money there, which will help him raise his profile, making him a good marketing tool for race organizers, potentially getting him some good appearance fees.

$1 CPM is about right. So 10M views will net you $10k. Triathlon Taren did a video where he showed his YouTube ad revenue was ~$1K/month (he was explaining why he needed to do sponsored videos).

Talking with lots of Youtube creators, the $$ are in sponsorship and merch sales. Almost no one survives on ad revenue.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice little chunk but not that much. His account is small potatoes in the world of YouTube. His Skechers deal probably pays more.

Lots of tools like this one to get a good estimate: https://influencermarketinghub.com/...be-money-calculator/

Group Eleven ā€“ Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Jul 2, 20 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youtube Adsense is probably nothing compared to his sponsorship deals.
What Youtube does is increase his value to his sponsors which allows him to negotiate higher paying sponsorship. You see Gatorade in every video; that vid 2 years ago of him training on nothing but Gatorade is an indirect advertisement. Canyon bikes and HED wheels are also in every video.
If you think about it, every view on that video is a free view for his sponsor that doesn't have to pay Google Ads/Facebook Ads which is a direct value add to the sponsorship.
Direct sponsor spot videos like the Form goggles also pay money not related to Adsense.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind also, he has to be paying Talbot Cox for the majority of his videos....
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is it. How do I partner with Epic and sync my treadmill for Fortnite? lol I'm not Lionel fast but I got a pretty good kick in me.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [jssvnstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he also has a videographer that works with him/for him (as does Phil, and Triathlon Taren I believe) Not sure if that is a paid role or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [jssvnstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jssvnstr wrote:
Keep in mind also, he has to be paying Talbot Cox for the majority of his videos....

Talbot once shared a pic of the invoice with prices blacked out. Lionel was giving him shit for leaving lights on and docking $1 every time so he shared the invoice to prove it was on there. If memory serves me right there was a line item sharing costs with a third party. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a sponsor agreement that pays some of that cost also.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œ10 million views is nothing in the grand scheme of things for youtubers, but it is somethingā€

Make your mind upšŸ¤£
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could not help to comment on this one.

YouTube is a fun ave for Lionel to connect and inspire. I can tell you right now no one sponsors the channel. Lionel refuses to have someone sponsor the channel. He pays me 100% out of his own pocket. Me doing you tube for Lionel also results in me being with Lionel once a month which opens up more opportunity for me to make additional money from sponsors if they're needing content, images, or Instagram videos ect. This has been a win win solution for over 2 years now. If you look Lionel's Channel it is the most regular and constant channel in "professional" endurance sport. Lionel's main focus is to inspire and nothing else.

My favorite story of Lionel is back in March we had our monthly content meeting. I requested that he cut my salary by 20% so we would not hit a dead patch because he was not racing which results in not making a lot of income. Lionel said to me "If im paying you when times are good (around Kona) I am going to pay you when times are bad." Lionel refused to lower my pay. Lionel is not only a leader but is one of the wisest guys I know. He is extremely smart and has invested his money in other places than triathlon.

With that being said we make a comfortable amount on you tube. It fluctuates there is high season when companies are pumping ad $$ in the fall and its not that high in the early part of the year when companies start the year on a budget. We have seen some good numbers that keep the channel going and help me do this full time for a living. But lord its not $1,000 per 1 million views. If that was the case no one would be on youtube! hahaha I did watch TT video over his revenue. It was intresting to watch. Lionels is defiantly higher. I dont know if thats because of his name and image or what.

Your feedback and following helps put food on my table so thanks to everyone who watches and supports the channel. I know sometimes videos are boring but we are in a time that we cant really record Lionel ripping big workouts because he is not training full tilt for a race. That means we have to have filler videos like the form one. Which Lionel is actually really passionate about. I hope this answers your questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your videos are so great Talbot! Not just the ones for the Lionel channel. Thanks to you both for doing what you do and it's so great to hear about Lionel's intentions for the channel. Inspire, it does. As long as the ad revenue makes it possible, keep them coming!
Last edited by: taldesigns: Jul 6, 20 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
That is it. How do I partner with Epic and sync my treadmill for Fortnite? lol I'm not Lionel fast but I got a pretty good kick in me.

I don't know, you probably need an ear into someone in marketing over at Epic. I think it would be great. The way I see it these kids are in a chair for 8-12 hours a day. While they are young they can get away with it but it is going to come back and haunt them. I actually thought about this idea while out on run, I was trying to think what my handle would be without changing my Triathlon alias... *** TG **** ... and then it hit me... *** TG *** = Treadmill Gamer ;)

I think it would be cool to get these kids some exercise.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Does Lionel make more on youtube or tri [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
ā€œ10 million views is nothing in the grand scheme of things for youtubers, but it is somethingā€

Make your mind upšŸ¤£

As an aside, Danny Duncan is former triathlete from Central FL. Now we are talking about some serious views there. For youtubers their profession is youtubing. For Lionel it is just part of his brand, but it is not his profession and I don't think he would ever want it to be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for your work talbot and your athletes (lionel). it is something keeping us sane during this lock down of life we live in now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input and GREAT work Talbot. You and LS deserve all the success and financial incentives you get. Especially keeping it up during COVID time. Don't let any haters get you down!
Quote Reply

Prev Next