Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you rotate running shoes?
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, do you rotate between different running shoes based on type/length of running you're doing? If so, what are your go-to brands/models, and how often do you rotate each week?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't rotate I just choose the shoe for the occasion.

MIzuno Wave Rider...every day running for just about anything.
Mizuno Wave Hayate...Trail running when required.
Asics Hyper-Tri for racing and sometimes fast runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's less about "rotating" shoes, and more about "horses for courses." All my road running will be in Nike Epic React Flyknits, all trail running in Altra Olympus, treadmill in Adidas Boost (1st gen), and races in LunarRacer 2s. YMMV.

There are some who recommend alternating shoes on different days to let the shoes "recover", but in a previous thread it seemed that this was pretty rare. Most folks were choosing between shoes based on terrain/conditions.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I usually have 2-3 shoes that I rotate. Right now I have 2 pair:

Reebok Floatride Forever: These are my do it all shoe. I paid $40 for these and they are great! I can do long runs, easy runs, and tempo runs in them without a hitch. I have 130ish miles on them without any signs of wear.

Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit: These are my race shoes as well as faster effort shoe. I also will wear them on long runs as well. Hard to beat a carbon soled shoe with Nike React foam for $75!

I’ve read about giving a shoe 24 hours rest after a run to allow the foam to decompress. I’m unsure how scientific that is though, and I’m sure it depends on the type of foam in the midsole as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had problems with plantar fasciitis in the past, and I read somewhere that rotating through pairs of shoes can be a way to stave it off. So right now I'm training in:

Hoka Clifton 4
Hoka Clifton 5
Nike Pegagus Turbo 2
Nike Zoom Fly 3

The Nike's are newer and I've been running in them a lot. I just retired a well worn pair of Clifton 2's as well.

I was going to buy a new pair of shoes for racing this season, but by the time I do that I'm sure the latest Nike's will be more reasonably priced. They did have a pair available for pre-order in my size for $355 or something crazy like that. I'll wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try not to run in the same shoes two days in a row. I have read a few times that shoes need more than 24 hours to fully “bounce back.” I have no idea if that is actually true, but I think they feel better with the extra day and I like the slightly varied shoe feel. Usually I rotate a pair of Hoka cliftons and altra escalantes. Lots of others for more specialized purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It's less about "rotating" shoes, and more about "horses for courses." All my road running will be in Nike Epic React Flyknits, all trail running in Altra Olympus, treadmill in Adidas Boost (1st gen), and races in LunarRacer 2s. YMMV.

There are some who recommend alternating shoes on different days to let the shoes "recover", but in a previous thread it seemed that this was pretty rare. Most folks were choosing between shoes based on terrain/conditions.

Aside from picking a different type of shoe based on the type of run, another advantage is each shoe with a different ramp and cushion slightly changes the gait. It just does. I think its good to work the foot different ways. I have the following in my line up: On Cloud, On Cloudflow, Altra Solstice, Altra Torin, Nike Free, Newton Distance, Hoka Clifton, Merrell Bare Access. Vibram 5 fingers, New Balance Minimus trail.

I don't think I run in any shoe more than 2 runs in a row. All of these shoes aside from the Altra Solstice and NB Minimus were bought between 5 and 10 years ago. I had a 4 year hiatus off serious running. So its a lot of shoes but purchased over a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what my workouts are.

My Long Slow Shoe is the Bondi B redux.
Medium Intensity shoe is the Clifton 6
Threshold shoe is the Rincon
Sprints or Time Trial shoe: Mach
Race: Carbon X

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It's less about "rotating" shoes, and more about "horses for courses."

I do a little of both. Right now I've got road/track/trail/hybrid-road-trail shoes so I don't usually repeat but I usually have more than one road shoe and try to rotate those as appropriate, for rotation's sake. I also probably like buying new kinds of shoes more than I should, then wind up doing most of my miles on a kind I'd already had.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rotate running shoes depending on the session and I also run in my racing shoes to make sure I am comfortable in them.

Asics Noosa tri 11 racing and speed session
Asics Cumulus 20 recovery and long runs (on the way out)
Asics Kayano 26 recovery and long runs

Tridad
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the past year or so when I have started running almost every day (pseudo barryp plan) I have rotated between two identical pairs. The pair with the higher mileage goes on the short days, and the newer pair does the long days. Main reason is the higher mileage shoe does not feel as good anymore and I'll start to get little annoying pains / soreness. I can run anything for 2-3 miles, but longer than that I want the support a newer shoe offers.

Two reasons, 1 to let the shoe recover (whether it's true or not, can't hurt) and 2 keep the miles off the newer shoe longer, theoretically letting it last more months. When I start to feel strange pains in my ankles / knees during or after runs, I rotate the new shoes to the short day, the short day shoes become casual wear and I pull out a new pair for long days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've too cheap to own more than one pair at a time

I do, however, have a bunch of VANS

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't rotate but I have specific shoes for a specific purpose. Adidas Solar Boosts for non speedwork days, Adidas Bostons for speedwork days. So each shoe gets a day or two of rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotating them out so that they can bounce back was more of an issue with older foams. These days I can run day after day in the same shoes and be fine.
I do rotate between a few different shoes just so that I can let my foot not always land the same exact way, in the same shoe. Plus if a pair gets wet, it has an extra day or to in order to dry out.

Shoes I rotate (some combination of these)
Asics Cumulus
Asics Nimbus
Saucony Ride (my favorite shoe right now by far)
Saucony Triumph (I call these my mall walker shoes as they are super cushioned and soft, great recovery shoe)

I've never found a Hoka that works for me yet, sadly. I've tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of rotate... but because of the type of running.

Track shoes - Altra Vanish-R
Long/slower tempo runs - Altra Escalante Racers
Race shoes - Altra Vanish-R (may try Nike %'s)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others suggest, I have a rotation that I use driven by purpose...

Dog walking/yard work: Salming Miles Lite
Long easy stuff/running on dead legs: Salming Greyhound
Treadmill/easy running: Salming EnRoute3
Speedwork/long racing: Salming Speed8
Short Racing: Salming Race 7
Trail training/Sidewalk winter running/Snowshoe running: Salming Trail6/Trail Hydro
Trail Racing/gnarly trail training: Salming OT Comp
Icy sidewalk/winter trail: Salming iSpike

That's my main rotation these days. Certainly a few of these pull heavier rotation than others, but they all factor in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For most of my running (every day) I rotate between 2 pairs of Nike Epic React (1st and/or 2nd editions) and will swap them both out for new pairs after about 5-6 months, depending on my mileage. If I'm running a technical trail, I'll use a trail specific shoe which I have a few different models.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
I do rotate between a few different shoes just so that I can let my foot not always land the same exact way, in the same shoe. Plus if a pair gets wet, it has an extra day or to in order to dry out.

+1 and +1, and I can't over-emphasize the "dry out" part. If you're running in the same shoes every day, they're going to get stanky long before their time, even if it doesn't rain.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
integrator wrote:

+1 and +1, and I can't over-emphasize the "dry out" part. If you're running in the same shoes every day, they're going to get stanky long before their time, even if it doesn't rain.

+1/+1 from me too; having multiple pairs on hand especially in late-summer marathon training season is vital to let shoes dry out between runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I like the ZF2 Flyknits too - great shoe with carbon plate for not too much. I have 4 pairs. I like the 10mm drop on these as well.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s all in here.

1. Use different shoes for different types of runs. Road, Trail, Easy, hard, etc.
2. The more difference in the shoes the better.
3. General consensus I think is 3 different shoes.

One of the key factors to avoiding injury is variety. You can add variety by changing the running surface often. Run on roads, grass, trails, sand and all of it if you have it. To increase the variety run or rotate different shoes. I would suggest staying away from ramp angle or offset. You are really going to confuse yourself. There is enough variety in running shoes not to throw that into the mix. That doesn’t mean don’t run in 4mm offset shoes it’s simply means that’s not the reason to buy a shoe. Choose your 3 different shoes based on this.

1. Long Run - The shoe you will spend the most of any one time in.
2. Your Go To Shoe - This could be the same long run shoe or it could be an old favorite. When heading out the door and you don’t feel like running at least you know your go to shoe won’t disappoint you.
3. Your hard run shoe. When you want to run fast it always pays to feel fast. This might be your racing flat or it might be one of the many lightweight trainers out there.

My current shoe mix.
1. Long Run - New Balance 1080 V10
2. Go to - Nike Pegasus Turbo 2
3. Hard run - New Balance Fuel Cell Rebel, Nike Vapor Fly Next %, New Balance Fuel Cell TC, Hoka One One Carbon X, Saucony Endorphin Shift
4. Trail Shoe - Only used when the trails are steep and rocky - Nike Terra Kiger

Now back to the what is the ramp of these shoes? I know there are a couple 10mm, a couple 8mm a 6mm and maybe a 5mm. Not once did I look at the offset I simply chose them for their purpose and mostly for their fit and feel. Why such a selection for fast running. First of all it’s really based on feel. All of those shoes have a completely different feel. I match that feel to my mood and to the workout ahead of me.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've typically had a heavier trainer and a lighter training shoe for many years. Heavier for longer runs, lighter for fast runs.

About 15 years ago I couldn't find my race shoes and ended up running in my trainers - ended up clocking an identical 5k time.

Lost interest in racing shoes once my 5koholic days were gone. If I became much lighter I would consider it. Certainly "feels" awesome when you run with racing shoes.

I agree it's like "right tool for the right job" mindset. Also I wonder if like our fathers generation "change that oil every 3,000 miles""I change all my belts and hoses every year son" the modern shoes don't need to be changed out as often but its hard for us to stop doing what we've had beaten into our head for decades?

I can remember the "have two pairs and rotate" thing as far back as 1992 and I'm sure it's much older that that yes?

I was always a Nike guy as a young man, switched to Asics about 10 years ago by chance and have run well in them since. After learning of Nike's "crime family" treatment of athletes I don't have an interest in Nike products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and yes, etc. I even rotate my every day walking shoes for many of the reasons others have given for running shoes.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope....I have a pair of trainers and a pair to race in. I use the same trainers until they wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you rotate running shoes? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my mix

1. Long Run - Nike Peg 36
2. Go to - Nike Peg 36, Adidas Solar Glide (probably only have 50ish miles left in those before I get another pair of Peg's)
3. Hard Run - Peg turbo 2, New Balance 1500, Adidas Tempo 9
4. Trail Shoe - Peg 36 Trail which I don't use much, mostly for snowy runs

Currently looking to add one of the Saucony Endorphins or Fuel Cell TC to the hard run rotation, and will def be picking up a set of Peg 37's. I'm also curious about something a bit softer for long runs, something like a 1080 or Triumph.
Quote Reply

Prev Next