Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you guys use saddle covers?
Quote | Reply
I want to get a neoprene saddle cover for those longer rides as I prep for IM. I have an Aspide Tri saddle, and it looks like a QR Mr Flightie will to the trick. Thing is though, the local "tri-specific" shops here have basically told me "nobody uses those things."

I was under the impression that it's one of those things that people don't leave home without once they have one. We've all seen those adds..."used by over 75% of competitors at Ironman Hawaii."

Worthwhile?

Effective?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you guys use saddle covers? [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Nobody uses those things"

Not true. All the weenies I know use them. Personally I think you just need to up your saddle time and let your butt get more accustomed to the saddle. I have the Aspide Triathlon on both my rode and my tri bike and I don't mind riding 100+ on it.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Boloney! TONS of folks use them - and I've seen lots & lots of them @ Ironman events.

Mebbe I'm just a wuss - but I've never gotten used to the discomfort of my saddle. And I have a pretty cushy one, w/ the reservoir & everything. So I use my QR saddle cover all the time.

And the reason it's so great for IM is that you're prob. gonna use tri shorts which'll have a thinner chamois than your regular riding gear, rite? So, it'll really help.

Very worthwhile & effective!!!

D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get plenty of seat time and consider it a luxery on my weekend long rides and races to have that extra cushioning. With that said I didn't like the QR as it was maybe a little too bulky. At CDA this year I bought an elite seat cover at the expo and love it, anything that will help you down there is well worth it regardless of any stigma that might be associated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add one more nobody to the list because I use mine for every ride. The difference is not substantial, but I really notice it on long rides. Anything that adds to your comfort a little is a good thing.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just pulled my old DeSoto cover out of a box of tri stuff and slapped that baby on.........will most likely use it for IMF....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same saddle as you do and use the QR cover. For me it makes a big difference comfortwise to have it on. Plus it keeps your saddle looking new. Go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch "local tri-specific shop'."

Buy one; it's worthwhile to get one than 'face' a$$ chafe for a couple weeks and the smell of A&D ointment all over your house, car, office.

What will your 'friends' think of you then?

BTW.. I have two covers, and while I get a look or two, a comment here and there... that's nothing. When I throw it back to 'em with a "what's it to you, pal?" Game over.

Of course, when I'm in my 'cycling zone' that stuff doesn't bother me. So go out and get one for yourself feel the difference.

Buena suerte,

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I didn't know Slowman and tom D were nobodies and also weenies. I know they both have used them and have mentioned them many times on their respective sites. I for one use them and love them. After hearing about the Elite ones, maybe I'll give them a try, but I love my desoto one now.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a quick question:

I use also QR Flitie. I am wondering if the neoprene gets used up and the cushioning decreases over time. Do I need to replace it once in a while?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - use one for 75 mile + rides and definitely for an IM event. I use the QR version. tip: fold it inside out and roll it on.

Quote | Reply
i usually use a saddle cover when i ride western... my grundle tends to get irritated otherwise. riding english is just too pristine though... i like that shiny leather to come through. your choice though-but, as a female i will tell you that i think of you as more of a stud without one. and if you spray painted your seat red, that would be chill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I see in the rakes of an IM I would say the majority of athletes use saddle covers, it just makes sense for a long day in the saddle, especially if you are in a race suit with less than cycling short padding. I had a QR cover and will agree it was a bit to bulky, I now have the one made by Elite and I like it much better. It is all one thickness and has no annoying bulge spots in the noise and back end. It also seems to fit better as well. The best part about my cover is I got it in red to match my bike. Check them out at www.elitebicycles.com

Trust
Quote Reply