Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you guys think there's much chance of this happening?
Quote | Reply
I tend to doubt it because it seems like Tyler's got a good situation, but you never know. Athletes(and most other people, too) tend to go where the money is. Phonak wants Hamilton

Let's make a deal
Photo: © C. Henry/CN

Rumours are swirling about where Tyler Hamilton will end up next year. Nearing the end of his two year deal with Team CSC, the Man from Marblehead is perhaps the most highly sought after rider in the peloton after his courageous 4th place overall (and stage win) in the Tour de France with a cracked collarbone. Current team sponsor Computer Sciences Corporation, a global computer services firm listed in the Fortune 130, has renewed their with Riis Cycling through 2005, but multiple sources report that Hamilton is being wooed with a two year deal estimated to be worth 3 million euros from ambitious Swiss squad Phonak.

In Zurich on Sunday, Phonak's American consultant Jim Ochowitz told Cyclingnews that reports indicating Hamilton had signed with Phonak were premature, but acknowledged that the CSC leader was talking to teams as the height of transfer season arrives. Phonak's Jacques Michaud, however, has confirmed that his team is very interested in signing Hamilton, and that talks are "advanced", but he aims to respect the September 1 date, after which transfers become fair game.

"We'll do everything to get Hamilton," Michaud commented. "He's a leader who corresponds well with a team like ours, both in an international sense and in view of the grand tours."

The Swiss team is also said to be talking to Spaniard Joseba Beloki, who is at the end of his contract with ONCE-Eroski. Cyclingnews' sources at Team CSC indicate that the Danish-based multi-national squad hopes to wrap up its contract renewal with Hamilton in the next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you guys think there's much chance of this happening? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Hamilton stays with CSC. From my point of view, it seems like CSC was a good fit for Tyler: they finished #1 team on the Tour and Riis apparently had a good relationship with him. Obviously Tyler is a good fit for CSC also. I can only guess that if the CSC team stays the same and if they can pay a big enough salary then he will probably stay with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you guys think there's much chance of this happening? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyler is old enough that he really cannot afford to be screwing around and trying new "programs" as his years are limited in making another big run at the TDF. It is rather obvious the Riis works well with Tyler and this proven relationship may be his best bet for his cycling goals. However, whether his cycling goals stand compared to his financial goals with be the ultimate decision I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you guys think there's much chance of this happening? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tyler is old enough that he really cannot afford to be screwing around"

That says it. Would love to see Tyler stay with CSC, but he has to go where the money is. Cycling is a relatively short career with no pension plan.
Quote Reply