Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you consider a massage a workout?
Quote | Reply
If the massage is shorter than 60 minutes and intensity is somewhat low, I'm of the mind set that it is not a training session and the training goes on. Looking to hear what you have experienced from either high or low intensity massage greater than 60 minutes. Want to add these sessions into the workout plan to help with recovery. Thoughts? Maybe there already a thread relating to this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?

Ask Robert Kraft

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought and or reasoning is that if you receive a fairly intense (high pressure) massage for longer than 60 minutes, you are actually doing damage to the muscle, like a workout, and require some recovery. Muscle damage is still muscle damage, regardless of mechanism. But maybe I'm wrong in this thought process.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you had to quantify it I'd say active recovery at best, like yoga or stretching.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't get count it.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you care ?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you consider taking shower a workout?

Started triathlons to get girls, and continued to be better than people.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what kind of "massage" you consider to be a workout.

1) a hard and long massage damaging the muscles.... may be you can avoid this one...
2) never heard pro cyclist, in Tour de France for exemple, saying "no, no massage tonight, it is too damaging..."... they are all dreaming of a massage (maybe not the long and hard ?) but mostly the leaders can get them
3) a massage is part of the recovery. If it is not, don't do it
4) from serious research, it was proven that massage was not that efficient (comparatively to electro simulation for recovery, for exemple), except for one thing : the discussion with the therapist. A recovery moment for the mind also...
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [CPic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPic wrote:
Why would you care ?

I would NOT care which is why I stated that I don't count it. Even deep tissue massage is still a recovery tool. So let's list all the things I do NOT count as a workout:

- Massage
- Stretching before and after a run
- Icing, foam roller, or stick
- Watching TV in Norma-Tec or other boots
- Hot bath for relaxation
- Driving to a training venue or race
- Eating before or after my workout
- Getting my bike fixed so I can workout on it
- Reading books or articles on how to workout better
- Bragging about my workouts on SlowTwitch
- Etc.

What counts as a workout? My actual workouts! Glad we could clear that up. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
CPic wrote:
Why would you care ?

I would NOT care which is why I stated that I don't count it. Even deep tissue massage is still a recovery tool. So let's list all the things I do NOT count as a workout:

- Massage
- Stretching before and after a run
- Icing, foam roller, or stick
- Watching TV in Norma-Tec or other boots
- Hot bath for relaxation
- Driving to a training venue or race
- Eating before or after my workout
- Getting my bike fixed so I can workout on it
- Reading books or articles on how to workout better
- Bragging about my workouts on SlowTwitch
- Etc.

What counts as a workout? My actual workouts! Glad we could clear that up. :)

What about CaptainCanada’s workouts?

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?


Ask Robert Kraft

Hehehehehehehehehe
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?


Ask Robert Kraft

Hehehehehehehehehe

Dare I ask who that is?

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is not a workout in that it does not work anything, you are specifically not doing any work.
a deep massage though is something that needs to be considered in the overall training plan as it is best not done on immediately sore muscles and may leave you feeling a bit flat for a while.
a low intensity massage is great to throw in whenever you can.
massage can also be a very individual thing with how you feel afterwards depending on intensity as well as individual tolerance which is partly but not completely based on how used to it you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Kraft

Support the fight against apostrophe abuse! Is it a contraction? Is it a possessive? If neither, you probably shouldn't use an apostrophe.
Learn more at The Grammar Book
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?


Ask Robert Kraft



Reply #2

Well done!!!

Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap...I remember that post!!
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
CPic wrote:
Why would you care ?


I would NOT care which is why I stated that I don't count it. Even deep tissue massage is still a recovery tool. So let's list all the things I do NOT count as a workout:

- Massage
- Stretching before and after a run
- Icing, foam roller, or stick
- Watching TV in Norma-Tec or other boots
- Hot bath for relaxation
- Driving to a training venue or race
- Eating before or after my workout
- Getting my bike fixed so I can workout on it
- Reading books or articles on how to workout better
- Bragging about my workouts on SlowTwitch
- Etc.

What counts as a workout? My actual workouts! Glad we could clear that up. :)


What about CaptainCanada’s workouts?

Counts double - giving and getting a massage.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my garmin to track pooping and other key daily events. I say a massage counts too.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find massages quite handy.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What TSS number are you going to attach to it?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?


Ask Robert Kraft

This whole thread rubs me the wrong way...
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would receiving a massage be considered to be a workout?


Ask Robert Kraft


This whole thread rubs me the wrong way...

Suck it up

Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
I use my garmin to track pooping and other key daily events. I say a massage counts too.

You're straining too hard!

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you consider a massage a workout? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XX29er wrote:
If the massage is shorter than 60 minutes and intensity is somewhat low, I'm of the mind set that it is not a training session and the training goes on. Looking to hear what you have experienced from either high or low intensity massage greater than 60 minutes. Want to add these sessions into the workout plan to help with recovery. Thoughts? Maybe there already a thread relating to this topic.

I wouldn't consider it a workout if the intensity is low. In that case it is more of a flush IMHO. Ideally the body should be slightly jacked up as why you need the massage in the first place. You can probably forgo the massage in the first place and probably better off honestly just using boots for the light flush if your body isn't there. I don't want to confuse the no-pain no-gain aspect of massage, massage shouldn't go to the point of being extremely painful, but massage IMHO isn't something that one typically looks forward to it either. In general you should look forward to the massage because you know your body, mind need it and the rest (or lack of workouts) that proceed or follow it. If I have a true sport massage, yes it is taking place of a workout or two but I don't consider it a workout, I don't log it.


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Speed Hound vs Normatec | Top 10 Wetsuit Buying Tips | Best CHEAP cycling sunglasses | Normatec Pulse Gen 2 | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply

Prev Next