Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [kiki] [ In reply to ]

i don't wear makeup on a regular basis so no. I do use chapstick on race day and during long rides but its just clear so I don't think that counts as makeup.

I don't normally wear makeup, so I wouldn't bother on race day. I certainly wouldn't give you heat for looking nice, I sure would like my race photos to look better than they do (and would enjoy hearing suggestions). I am impressed to find out that mascara can make it through a swim, I would have guessed it would be all over. I do enjoy having a fresh manicure and pedicure. I also wear SPF protection on my lips, they burn easily. I did wear earrings during my last marathon, that was expanding my horizons a bit.

Well, my feet and hands typically look haggard year-round (can't be bothered with nail polish when it just peels off after a pool workout... though you would never guess it by the excessive number of bottles I own), but I will admit that I have worn waterproof mascara to a race.

There. I said it.

. . . . . . . . .
-julie

I work a corporate job, so I wear makeup every day; when I don't, I get told I look tired (ugh!). I am not a big fan of how I look in pictures, and I am very proud of my race pics, so I want to look good in them. I have only done foot races so far, but for each, I have worn mascara and a light concealer under my eyes (I have very fair skin and without concealer I look like I have purple bruises under my eyes). Also a full coat of sunblock. Too much skin cancer in the family to take a chance.

That said, my first tri is rapidly approaching (oh god oh god oh god what have I signed myself up for?!) and I was planning to do the same routine. (But wait, I'm not supposed to mix sunblock and wetsuit, right? Do I sunblock in T1?)

I'm also 100% onboard with the ladies who have "race nails" - my kit is all black and hot pink, so I do my nails black and feel like a fast badass. Even though I'm very slow. Slightly fast-ER badass.

I'd like to ask a question, since this thread seems to be a good place. WTF do I do with my hair for tri? I have boob-length hair (I loved having short hair but am growing it out for the wedding so I have something to stick a veil in...) and usually wear a high ponytail for swimming and running (swimming so it's easy to bun up under the cap), but that will interfere with bike helmet. I would like to avoid low pony so it's not sticking to my neck (ew!). What do you ladies do?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.

kiki wrote:
oh dear feeling like quite the harlot now, LOL

I love the idea of lipstick in transition. Although if I tried it would get all over my face like one of those crazy ladies you try to avoid eye contact with.

I always like to have bright red toes for a big race. Little stop signs for the sistahs in the water (*not* that this tactic works, but it does make me happy to look down when we're all milling around waiting to go in).

haha I can just imagine the makeup case popping out of your T1 bag along with your bike gear.
"Wait!" you say to the volunteer - "where's my mirror, I need to get my lipliner on straight!" That would be classic!

For me, brightly painted toes on race day are mandatory. Gotta wear something to offset the ugly wetsuit...

I'll admit, I have smoothed down my hair before the finisher's picture was taken...even an exhausted gal has to look her best! lol

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]

Personally I do the low pony for the swim and bike, then pull it up higher on the run so it's over the back strap of my visor. You could try a braid or pigtails??

Two low plaits, as seen in all of my profile pics - husband calls them my "war braids".

Cheers!

-mistress k

Never....not in races, not in every day life. Never really got the concept or reason.

No! I do wear earrings, though, so some people probably think that's crazy.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]

No, and I feel like male competitors wouldn't take me as seriously as an athlete if I wore makeup to a race.

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [jl2732] [ In reply to ]

Think how much more pissed off they would be when passed by a woman wearing make-up. Ha!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Mar 27, 13 18:55

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [JenSw] [ In reply to ]

"how much more pissed off they would be when passed by a woman wearing make-up. Ha! "

And wearing something ultra sexy at the same time. :-)

Post deleted by kiki [ In reply to ]

Never.

Make-up is for wedding and even then it is lip gloss and mascara.

Braid your hair in one braid down the middle, then role up the braid and wrap a rubber band around it--creates something sort of like a bun, but holds up better and doesn't interfere with the helmet.

I tried the "war braids" which I like for the looks, but my braids are long enough that they would stick to my arms with sweat. Plus, it didn't seem very aero to have them flapping in the wind on the bike.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball

I also have long hair.

I used to french-braid it so it was securely out of the way, but that became problematic when I started becoming the kind of person who shows up to races at the last minute (last to the start line, first to the finish is my aspirational mantra, ha!).

Now I just do the low-bun in the swim cap (making sure it's very secure), rip the swim cap off, in T1, throw a helmet on and my hair is usually out of the way. At T2, I throw a hat on, which does double-duty of keeping my bangs out of my face, and my hair relatively in place.

. . . . . . . . .
-julie

I sometimes put polish on my fingernails or toenails the day before a race, or both if I can manage it. And there's a tinted lip balm with SPF 15 I'd like to try.

But other than that, no. I once forgot to take off my mascara before a swim workout and didn't realize I had raccoon eyes until the bus ride home. Never again.

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [Tri3] [ In reply to ]

Oh, I really like this. No sticking or flapping (lol... that sounds funny in my head...)

I do a single french braid for the hair.
I'll even do some hairspray on it to get it to stay a bit better.

I've also done the low ponytail for swim and bike and after exiting T2, while running, changed it to a high ponytail.

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [determination] [ In reply to ]

If I had, in my 28 years of life, learned how to french braid, I would love that. However, I am not the most dexterous person in the world and have no proclivity for hair/makeup stuffs.

MAC should be my sponsor......

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [FastCat] [ In reply to ]

If this tell you anything, when I first read your post I thought...why would Apple computers sponsor....OHHHH, it's a makeup company! :)

Don't wear makeup on a regular basis and even then I should be supervised as I am not very good at applying it! I say do what makes you comfortable.

As for the other poster's hair question. I have a pony tail that just gets smooshed out of the way with the helmet and then gets pulled through a hat/visor.

But...my race pics look like hell...so I probably shouldn't be giving any advice!

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [tridana] [ In reply to ]

For races I normally wear waterproof mascara and concealer.. Hair in a ponytail. I like to have my toenails painted before A races.

On a daily basis I wear waterproof mascara, concealer, sun screen and eyeshadow. My hair is in a ponytail 98% of the time at home and at work.

Looking for a new sunscreen (face) to wear on a daily basis. Recommendations?

Re: Do You Wear Makeup in Races [milesaway] [ In reply to ]

Nup, never. I wear tons of sunscreen (I live in Australia) and chapstick so I don't burn on my lips. I don't care what my finish photos look like....they are representative of how hard I worked over the day. Having said all of that. if you want to wear make-up then wear it. Who cares what other people think...your race is all about you!!

For the hair question, I wear two plaits. :)

Sometimes if I feel I look really tired or washed out I'll put on some mascara and maybe eyeliner, but usually no makeup for me pre-race. I always have chapstick in my tri tip pocket during the race though because I hate it if my lips start to feel dry from the wind or sun, but I suppose chapstick doesn't really count for makeup. However, I always make sure my mani and pedi looks good. I get the gel color manicures so they last about 2 weeks even with the chlorine. I started doing my nails the day before a race back in college when I ran track and cross country - I'm not sure why, it's just something I've always done.

Prev Next