Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)?
Quote | Reply
I seem to be struggling with equipment fatigue. Same old Same old. I've posted a few threads asking about different bikes and components. I have a 2011 Felt B12, which has nice upgrades: Quarq, Flo, 3T, etc. I local bike shop is offering me a Felt I10 for almost $700 of list but they are also pricing out just the frame with Di2 since I have SRAM Red (10sp) on B12.

I have no real reason to upgrade. Many of you said my bike is great. I do lay down FOP of bike splits (Even took #1 last weekend in my AG). It was my first tri bike so you'd think I'd have some sentimental value since we've gone from Sprint to HIM together. All the hours we've spent together.

But damn do I have the irrational urge just to put something new on the bike if I'm going to keep it. Di2 won't work with my bike unless I by-pass internal routing. So thinking maybe just SRAM e-Tap.

Yes I know I'm an economist. That doesn't exempt from cognitive distortions, it just amplifies my cognitive dissonance.

Quote | Reply
As someone that has upgraded for no real reason, I implore you to not upgrade. I did and I've regretted it.

I had a bike that I was very happy with and very comfortable on. I never had FOP bike splits (more like BFOP or FMOP) but the bike itself was never holding me back. Nevertheless I got the "itch", sold it off and upgraded. Since then I've been through 2 TT bikes and have yet to find something I like as much. I'd love to have that bike back again but such is life.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the entire basis for the economy. Buy new/more stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the urge all the time. Wife takes care of it right away . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes spent one hour looking at bikes a few days ago. My biggest issues is I don't think I can replicate my fit and position on a newer bike. The stack on the new bikes is crazy high. So I'm good with my 2011 B14.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this with everything from electronics to bikes. It's a never ending cycle. It's almost never worth it. Unless it's cell phones, new iPhones that type of thing. That's the thing that makes sense for me all the time. My 2015/2016 p2 is my first Tri bike. Going to try to keep it for 3-4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when I'm awake...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn...why do I have 7 bikes in my garage ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to get a new Vias Venge or Madone, but my current Venge is Campy 11sp, and that stuff never weas out.

TT bike , not so much. I am waiting to see a bike that is significantly better that my TT Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

My motivation to train is intrinsic. In fact I don't even ride my fancy tri bike that often. I train on an 8 year old aluminum road bike with clip-ons (same saddle, same fit as the race bike). I do like fresh new running clothes though. Running every day, after about a year even hot cycle with bleach doesn't quite get the clothes back to... normal. Time to pitch it and get new shorts and tank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer from gear acquisition syndrome knowing full well, no matter what it is, it will make not one iota of a difference in my ability to do any one particular thing, from bikes, camera's to other things and I am able to ratioanlise it in any number of ways, from the exchange rate switching and it becoming effectively free to it being only x% of my take home.

That said, I have managed to reduce these ridiculous expenditures in the last couple of years significantly and now they have gone to zero for the foreseeable future whilst I try to sort my life out.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
No.

My motivation to train is intrinsic. In fact I don't even ride my fancy tri bike that often. I train on an 8 year old aluminum road bike with clip-ons (same saddle, same fit as the race bike). I do like fresh new running clothes though. Running every day, after about a year even hot cycle with bleach doesn't quite get the clothes back to... normal. Time to pitch it and get new shorts and tank.

You wash synthetics on hot with bleach (I'm going to extrapolate and guess you throw them in the dryer, too)? That may explain why they don't seem to hold up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know how much faster the new one will make you since other poster said to get the same fit of the old B frame onto newer felt. Anyhow, since I owe the B10 with the old Di2, if you wanna throw some dime in the game get the etap. Is a nice upgrade and in some cases safer to handle.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike shop is throwing a nice discount you way. You want the AI10. This is your second post about it. Even though you are FOP on the bike, the other guys are upgrading. Don't get left behind. Get the IA, move your wheels and power meter over and keep up.

Your B12 is about aerodynamically to my Kestrel 50000. My IA16 has been a massive upgrade. Get the new bike.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing is that the IA is just plane fun to race. First of all, it is freaking fast. Secondly, everyone wants to talk about the bike. After one race this year my wife rolled the bike back to my truck. She told me after; ''If the young girls want to talk to the young guys, they should just buy this bike. They all want to talk about it!''

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd probably just stick with what I have and enjoy outriding the other guys on their newer, fancier bikes. There's gotta be some smug sense of self satisfaction in that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many many triathletes get that urge to upgrade or buy new stuff. I have a cervelo p2 and my performance levels my bike will never be the limiter. My first road bike, which I still have, is a Jamis Ventura race and I really have a fondness for that bike for that reason but often look at other road bikes in my search to find the most comfortable bike. What has helped me is to do smaller upgrades for that bike. New bar tap. New seat. Upgraded to 25mm tires. Gave it a nice washing.

With that being said, if it makes you happy and can afford it go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike.. Never suprisingly.. been on a 2011 Transition forever and have no urge to upgrade it. Fits great, fun to ride and what would a new frame get me? few seconds over 40k. Not worth getting it comfortable again.

Road Bike.. ALL THE FREAKING time lol.. I might go through 2 a year although I haven't found anything I like as much as my 2012 Venge yet though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love bikes. Bikes don't have feelings like women or have to also agree to let you ride them.

With that said, I would ride lots of women if women were like bikes. Instead, I ride lots of bikes.

Your problem is that you haven't considered the obvious. Keep your bike and buy the new one too. If you like the new one better, sell your current bike. If not, sell the new bike.

I lusted after the speed concept. Built it up. Rode it 20 miles. Sold it. I don't regret it at all. Now my mind isn't occupied with the wonder of how cool it is and how much I want it.

Now, with that said- that doesn't mean blow your money. Shop sales and get a deal when you can. I pay full price for an inner tube when I have a flat and need it. Point is, its always better to buy things when you don't need it. That's how you get better deals.

Lastly- I should also add that in my opinion all components are marginally better, if any- in the last 10 years since Shimano Dura-ace 7800. Just saying. Now, that doesn't mean I stopped buying bike parts. This is also what makes cycling more fun than swimming or running. The machine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike is a 2002 AluP3. I think about upgrading but for me, it's not worth it. Ultimately, I like my bike. I'd love a new superbike but how much will it save me really? As soon as I'm FOP I'll spring for it (i.e. never, probably!)
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
My bike is a 2002 AluP3. I think about upgrading but for me, it's not worth it. Ultimately, I like my bike. I'd love a new superbike but how much will it save me really? As soon as I'm FOP I'll spring for it (i.e. never, probably!)

I look at it differently; I'm 66 years old and I need all the help I can get.

Right now it's working!

Quote Reply
Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue (tired of same stuff)? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you hate about the Speed Concept?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes all the damn time. I get bored with stuff. I don't know why but I just do. I haven't bought anything in a while and I've been itching for something. I don't even really need anything but I still window shop online all the time. Trying to save for a wedding so I'm fighting the urge.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do You Guys Ever Get Urge Just To "Upgrade" Due to Equipment Fatigue"

I do but I am quite successful in trying to kill those urges ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next