Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the IRONMAN Hall of Fame list affirms IRONMAN's belief that only White people have made significant contributions to triathlon. That's an intentional choice.

Max Fennell, the first pro African American triathlete, should be on that list of contributors.

Agree or disagree?

FasterTwitch wrote:
Amateur wrote:
IRONMAN Hall of Fame: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5yKm7emfv

~50 faces, 100% of them look White. There is something peculiarly White about IRONMAN.

You could say the same about skiing. Darnnit...just why aren't more Central Africans taking up the sport!
SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!
Quote Reply
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Ironman Hall of Fame can do anything they want, and I def. believe Ironman is motivated by money, not some sense of social justice.

I think the same about Max.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Sep 2, 19 1:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
I believe the Ironman Hall of Fame can do anything they want, and I def. believe Ironman is motivated by money, not some sense of social justice.
Are you saying being motivated solely by money means it's OK to be racially exclusive?

That's interesting.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
Actually the IRONMAN Hall of Fame list affirms IRONMAN's belief that only White people have made significant contributions to triathlon. That's an intentional choice.

Max Fennell, the first pro African American triathlete, should be on that list of contributors.

Agree or disagree?

FasterTwitch wrote:
Amateur wrote:

~50 faces, 100% of them look White. There is something peculiarly White about IRONMAN.

You could say the same about skiing. Darnnit...just why aren't more Central Africans taking up the sport!
SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

It is the Ironman Hall of Fame and not the Triathlon Hall of Fame and Max,from my knowledge, has done only two 70.3's in his career.That hardly qualifies him as an "Ironman Hall of Fame" contender on the athlete side of things. Perhaps it would be better to think more along the lines of asking USA Triathlon to put him in the USA Triathlon Hall of Fame if you believe his contribution to USA Triathlon is worthy.

I notice again that you are focussing on only African Americans and only the USA in your argument about diversity in "Triathlon" as if triathlon and diversity only matters in the USA and only relates to African Americans.Why are you not petitioning for Shingo Tani or Jocelyn Wong or Fernanda Keller or Rajesh Durbal or Lokelani McMicheal or Shirin Gerami among many others to be included in the Ironman Hall of Fame?
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Sep 2, 19 2:49
Quote Reply
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

Agree or disagree?

FasterTwitch wrote:
Amateur wrote:

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

It is the Ironman Hall of Fame and not the Triathlon Hall of Fame and Max,from my knowledge, has done only two 70.3's in his career.That hardly qualifies him as an "Ironman Hall of Fame" contender on the athlete side of things. Perhaps it would be better to think more along the lines of asking USA Triathlon to put him in the USA Triathlon Hall of Fame if you believe his contribution to USA Triathlon is worthy.

I notice again that you are focussing on only African Americans and only the USA in your argument about diversity in "Triathlon" as if triathlon and diversity only matters in the USA and only relates to African Americans.Why are you not petitioning for Shingo Tani or Jocelyn Wong or Fernanda Keller or Rajesh Durbal or Lokelani McMicheal or Shirin Gerami among many others to be included in the Ironman Hall of Fame?

Out of this list, MAYBE Fernanda gets into the IM Hall of fame, but then you need to have Cam Brown in it too, because his Palmares si very much like Fernanda's. Maybe the most noteworthy from your list would be Rajesh Durbal (who I can say is a personal friend), because of what he achieved to get to and do Kona with only one arm, and two missing legs and a missing arm.

Ironman's hall of fame should be about Ironman achievements. I don't really care what colour or what ethnic background Rajesh is from (he's from mine). His achievement in triathlon is noteworthy. His skin colour and ethnicity is irrelevant from a hall of fame angle.

Shirin's day in Kona was very inspirational with all that clothing on. I really enjoyed following her race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Amateur wrote:

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

Probably the best downhill skier in the world, is a sprinter in Nigeria or Jamaica, or a defensive back or punt returned in the NFL. I am convinced that downhill skiing does not have the optimal gene pool that the sport is accessing given the needs of this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

Agree or disagree?

FasterTwitch wrote:

Out of this list, MAYBE Fernanda gets into the IM Hall of fame, but then you need to have Cam Brown in it too, because his Palmares si very much like Fernanda's. Maybe the most noteworthy from your list would be Rajesh Durbal (who I can say is a personal friend), because of what he achieved to get to and do Kona with only one arm, and two missing legs and a missing arm.

Ironman's hall of fame should be about Ironman achievements. I don't really care what colour or what ethnic background Rajesh is from (he's from mine). His achievement in triathlon is noteworthy. His skin colour and ethnicity is irrelevant from a hall of fame angle.

Shirin's day in Kona was very inspirational with all that clothing on. I really enjoyed following her race.

This was kind of dumb. She competed in numerous triathlons in normal suits, she's British. But this was the only way to represent Iran. An insanely repressive regime.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:

Agree or disagree?

You really are an amateur. Max Fennell is still an active Triathlete. But what Ironman events has he competed in? Nothing shows on ObsTri. So...what significant contributions has he made to date. In most years they've only added one person, and all of them have made an impact on Triathlon and our a significant piece of the legacy of the sport. You seem to just be here to wind people up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said below that Max Fennell, a pro triathlete, doesn't qualify b/c he's insufficient "on the athlete side of things." It appears that IRONMAN's Hall of Fame includes people who never did any triathlon whatsoever.

Dr. Bob Laird, a White doctor, was inducted in 2001. Please explain what qualifies him as a "contender on the athlete side of things."

How about Mike Reilly's contributions as a "contender on the athlete side of things." We know that Reilly is White as White gets. :)

And how about 2013 inductee, Peter Henning, a White cameraman who was never an IRONMAN athlete on any level. Please explain to us why he is qualified as a "contender on the athlete side of things." We know he's White.

And please feel free to offer any non-racist explanation for the fact that 100% of IRONMAN's Hall of Fame is 100% White. The people who can be selected can be from anywhere in the world. Why are ALL of them White? Interesting, right?

ThailandUltras wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you're really out of your skull. Every single person you listed has made significant contributions to Ironman. Also, they're all linked to Kona. Max Fennell has not contributed to the legacy of Ironman other than being Black. Which is not a barrier in this sport. This is not 1945 when Branch Ricky found Jackie Robinson and gave him an impossible task.

Quote Reply
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's your opinion. I can argue that Max's contributions to IRONMAN are more significant than a White cameraman who has never competed in any IRONMAN event.

Let's allow ThailandUltra to respond though. He said that Max Fennell doesn't deserve to be in IRONMAN Hall of Fame because he falls short "on the athlete side of things." Let's allow him to reconcile the fact that a White doctor and White cameraman (who doesn't do triathlon) both qualified for the Hall of Fame.

This is also a good time to point out that the people voting on the Hall of Fame inductees are very likely White. We wouldn't be surprised to learn that 100% of them are White, would we?

TheStroBro wrote:
Dude, you're really out of your skull. Every single person you listed has made significant contributions to Ironman. Also, they're all linked to Kona. Max Fennell has not contributed to the legacy of Ironman other than being Black. Which is not a barrier in this sport. This is not 1945 when Branch Ricky found Jackie Robinson and gave him an impossible task.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
That's your opinion. I can argue that Max's contributions to IRONMAN are more significant than a White cameraman who has never competed in any IRONMAN event.

Let's allow ThailandUltra to respond though. He said that Max Fennell doesn't deserve to be in IRONMAN Hall of Fame because he falls short "on the athlete side of things." Let's allow him to reconcile the fact that a White doctor and White cameraman (who doesn't do triathlon) both qualified for the Hall of Fame.

This is also a good time to point out that the people voting on the Hall of Fame inductees are very likely White. We wouldn't be surprised to learn that 100% of them are White, would we?

TheStroBro wrote:

Some are recognised for athletic achievement and some are recognised for other aspects of the promotion,development and organisation of the Hawaiian Ironman.You can't be that dense as to not see those very obvious distinctions.I believe you are just searching for something to argue about.

This is the description of what the Ironman Hall of Fame is as written on the top of the Hall of Fame list.
"The IRONMAN Hall of Fame was founded in 1993 to honor those who've made outstanding contributions to the growth of the world’s most famous single-day endurance race."

Originally from: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz5yOIIdBh3

Please explain exactly where someone who has never done Ironman Hawaii or has had anything to do with the development or promotion of that event qualifies under that specific description.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Sep 2, 19 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think 100% of the IRONMAN Hall of Fame is White? Do you know who votes on the inductees?

I know the CEO of Ironman is White - and gives off a White Supremacist vibe.

ThailandUltras wrote:
Some are recognised for athletic achievement and some are recognised for other aspects of the promotion,development and organisation of the Hawaiian Ironman.You can't be that dense as to not see those very obvious distinctions.I believe you are just searching for something to argue about.

This is the description of what the Ironman Hall of Fame is as written on the top of the Hall of Fame list.
"The IRONMAN Hall of Fame was founded in 1993 to honor those who've made outstanding contributions to the growth of the world’s most famous single-day endurance race."

Originally from: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz5yOIIdBh3

Please explain exactly where someone who has never done Ironman Hawaii or has had anything to do with the development or promotion of that event qualifies under that specific description.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shit is all the rage in my part of the world,you want me to send you some?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to really dislike White people.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Some of my best friends dislike White people.

Amateur wrote:
You said below that Max Fennell, a pro triathlete, doesn't qualify b/c he's insufficient "on the athlete side of things." It appears that IRONMAN's Hall of Fame includes people who never did any triathlon whatsoever.

Dr. Bob Laird, a White doctor, was inducted in 2001. Please explain what qualifies him as a "contender on the athlete side of things."

How about Mike Reilly's contributions as a "contender on the athlete side of things." We know that Reilly is White as White gets. :)

And how about 2013 inductee, Peter Henning, a White cameraman who was never an IRONMAN athlete on any level. Please explain to us why he is qualified as a "contender on the athlete side of things." We know he's White.

And please feel free to offer any non-racist explanation for the fact that 100% of IRONMAN's Hall of Fame is 100% White. The people who can be selected can be from anywhere in the world. Why are ALL of them White? Interesting, right?

ThailandUltras wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a serious note. You have posted a ton in this thread, you seem to know a lot about triathlon and Ironman in general.

Why do you think 100% of the IRONMAN Hall of Fame is White?

Do you know who votes on the inductees?

You claim to know a lot. We know you are White as well.

ThailandUltras wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
On a serious note. You have posted a ton in this thread, you seem to know a lot about triathlon and Ironman in general.

ThailandUltras wrote:

Talking to you is like talking to a Flat Earther,it is an almost comic experience.

How about you list for us those who you believe have been excluded from the Ironman Hall of Fame by the racist,white supremacist World Triathlon Corporation.Tell us how you think your list would differ from the existing one.

The Grand Master Messick posts on ST so send him a message and ask him all these questions and show him all the proof of systematic racism at the core of Ironman.Show him the error of his ways and be an inspiration for us all.Show us what you intend to do to right the wrongs.

I was at the World Double Iron Champ's in Lithuania this weekend and both champions were white.I guess the triathlon illuminati are operating everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you're mad. I just asked you two questions, since you claim to know a lot about triathlon and Ironman:

1) Why do you think 100% of the IRONMAN Hall of Fame is White?

2) Do you know who votes on the inductees?

If you have an answer, let us know. You're sounding more and more like a racist.

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

ThailandUltras wrote:

Talking to you is like talking to a Flat Earther,it is an almost comic experience.

How about you list for us those who you believe have been excluded from the Ironman Hall of Fame by the racist,white supremacist World Triathlon Corporation.Tell us how you think your list would differ from the existing one.

The Grand Master Messick posts on ST so send him a message and ask him all these questions and show him all the proof of systematic racism at the core of Ironman.Show him the error of his ways and be an inspiration for us all.Show us what you intend to do to right the wrongs.

I was at the World Double Iron Champ's in Lithuania this weekend and both champions were white.I guess the triathlon illuminati are operating everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
Now you're mad. I just asked you two questions, since you claim to know a lot about triathlon and Ironman:

If you have an answer, let us know. You're sounding more and more like a racist.

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

ThailandUltras wrote:

and TU asked you can you name anyone that is worthy of being in the HOF.. Ironman HOF is pretty damn new ... what 1993 or so .. are you advocating lessen standards for non whites in the HOF of something ?
Quote Reply
Re: Diversity in Triathlon - do you see any? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1993 is"pretty damn new"? Ok. I'd nominate Max Fennell as well as the other athlete mentioned who is a triple amputee, Rajesh Durbal. I don't really follow triathlon circuit, but those are two names I could throw in the mix. It's kind of shocking to see that everyone is White: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5yNsWotBa

Who would you nominate?

ThailandUltras, you seem to know a lot about triathlon and IRONMAN in general.

spntrxi wrote:
and TU asked you can you name anyone that is worthy of being in the HOF.. Ironman HOF is pretty damn new ... what 1993 or so .. are you advocating lessen standards for non whites in the HOF of something ?
Last edited by: Amateur: Sep 2, 19 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I don’t mean to derail this thread... but i do admit that i looked at this photo very quickly, and my brain saw someone texting on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

ThailandUltras wrote:

Sadly I am unable to quit my day job to move to Kona and take over the job of Hawaii Ironman race director when Messick flips his hiring to quotas of minorities and not based on track record, resumes and actual capability.

Sorry, my family puts my life in the hands of race directors when I go to race. I don't want a diversity figurehead who is not qualified trying to run the show. I want highly competent pros like the guys at IM Switzerland who had an ambulance on site 13 minutes after I ended up bleeding and unconscious and could have easily bled to death if not for the fast reaction time of a competent race organizing team. There is room for diversity once the diversity candidates clear the merit bar. I don't believe I qualify on merit. Being a brown gazillion time over Ironman who formerly directed small races does not qualify me to run Kona, Tremblent or any Mdot event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool story. You may know that an athlete was recently run over and killed by an Ironman operated automobile on the bike course at IM Mont Tremblant: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

The cost-cutting Chinese corporation tried to cover it up, falsely calling it a "medical event." Athlete safety and integrity are way down on the list of priorities.

But that still doesn't explain why every single person on this list is 100% White: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5yNsWotBa

devashish_paul wrote:
Sadly I am unable to quit my day job to move to Kona and take over the job of Hawaii Ironman race director when Messick flips his hiring to quotas of minorities and not based on track record, resumes and actual capability.

Sorry, my family puts my life in the hands of race directors when I go to race. I don't want a diversity figurehead who is not qualified trying to run the show. I want highly competent pros like the guys at IM Switzerland who had an ambulance on site 13 minutes after I ended up bleeding and unconscious and could have easily bled to death if not for the fast reaction time of a competent race organizing team. There is room for diversity once the diversity candidates clear the merit bar. I don't believe I qualify on merit. Being a brown gazillion time over Ironman who formerly directed small races does not qualify me to run Kona, Tremblent or any Mdot event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
You're sounding more and more like a racist

I'm honestly surprised this is still being allowed to go on; you've crossed this line of directly attacking posters a few times for daring to question you.

It's clear, though, that you feel it is your right to always be the questioner, but never answer a question yourself. You're occasionally a bit clumsy in the redirection, but you sidestep-and-bullshit every single time anyone challenges you to answer something instead of responding to your attack.

Also, you've given up your brief foray into gender equality in favor of bolding white every time you type it. Almost as if you've noted what gets the most responses and you've leaned harder into that because you really want to get people riled up.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
1993 is"pretty damn new"? Ok. I'd nominate Max Fennell as well as the other athlete mentioned who is a triple amputee, Rajesh Durbal. I don't really follow triathlon circuit, but those are two names I could throw in the mix. It's kind of shocking to see that everyone is White: https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5yNsWotBa

Who would you nominate?

ThailandUltras, you seem to know a lot about triathlon and IRONMAN in general.

spntrxi wrote:

in the grand scheme of things... yes 1993 HOF is new... at least compare to most other sports.

I had to google Max F.. nice story but how is this qualify him for the Ironman HOF... maybe someday if there is a Tri HOF.( is there one?).. but we are talking about Ironman brand specifically.... in other words he needs to win it, I'm thinking. Has he won any Ironman events ?

As for Rajesh.. I like his story.. maybe in time this one has potential.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Sep 2, 19 18:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next