Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc wheel on rolling course?
Quote | Reply
Doing the kinetic half this weekend. If I make it through the chilly swim, I'm wondering whether I should use a rear disc or not on the bike. The course is "rolling" with 3000ft of elevation change. I've never used a disc before on a rolling course, or for any race for that matter, and I'm wondering if I'm going to be regretting it on the first hill.

I have a H3 on the front, and I'm wondering whether I should use a H3 for the rear. This is the race set-up that has been comfortable for me in past races. The disc just feels slower on the road, even though I know it is supposed to be faster.
Last edited by: trirookie: Apr 19, 07 4:50
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always use the disc.

Ric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not that heavy use it.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the disc. Its fastest. I easily use my disc around here with at least that much of climbing. My "flat" course has 2000ft of climbing. My hilly route can have at least 5000ft and I can still use the disc to my advantage. The disc will really pay off on the downhills with the high speeds.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much heavier is your disc than the Hed 3? 100 grams? 200 grams? If you can feel .25% weight change on a hill, all I can say is... WOW!

If your disc feels slower on the road, however, I would be very suspect that there is something wrong with it. Bad hub? Inferior tire?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the 50-54 M agegroup, I recommend you not use a disk. Instead I suggest you use a spinergy wheel.
Last edited by: triteach: Apr 19, 07 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [triteach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same if you are in the 50-54 AG. A disc will make you too slow. Also, make sure you use 160 crank arms since longer ones slow you down also. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Choice of tire can make a bigger difference than disc vs H3. If you already have an H3 in the back and a lower Crr tire then you'll be faster than with a Tufo on the disc. Laugh Otherwise with the same tire the disc is always marginally faster but only really noticeable over 10 deg of yaw. At that point the disc is a huge bonus. In other words, if it's going to be dead calm then it's unlikely you'll see a difference.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - For rolling, hilly, extreme winds or technical courses I would choose a H3 rear. BTW - I own both a H3C & disc.

I surprised you would feel the disc slower on the road. For my local 15k TT which is flat with only a turn around, the disc is the faster choice for me.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really is more specific than that! 10 degrees of yaw, blah, blah, blah!

The important question here is, how much space do you have between your rim and rear stays. If it's a close fit, you should definitely consider the disk no matter the weight. Same with the front wheel...if you don't have some decent clearance on the fork, the H3 isn't much better than your training wheels.

Wheel aerodynamics only matter in the particular case of the bike/rider they are mounted for. Choose the wrong combo, and it will cost you dearly.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding a P2C,- 56cm. I'm 6', 170 pounds, and ride around 21.5 mph without aero wheels or aero helmet, around 22 with all the gear.

Another issue for me is that I just can't get the tire seated perfectly to the rim of the disc. It's not pinching the tube anywhere, it's actually the opposite problem. There is a place on the tire where it's not coming out all the way. It's barely noticeable, and if I didn't have the rear wheel cutout, I probably wouldn't have realized it, but I do notice it, and when I spin it on the stand the bike has some bouncing because of it. I've ridden on it, and haven't noticed it too much on flat riding, but I'm just worried about getting to that first downhill section and the bike feeling out of control under me.

Anyone have any tips to fix this problem? New Michelin Pro tire, new renn disc, properly taped, it's just not coming all the way out in one or two places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't climb on a renn disc -- those badboys are just too flexy to the kind of course you have described.
I have no advice on the tire problem...sounds as if there could be a manufacturing defect. Stick with the H3s for now.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let some air out of the tire and move it around with you hand that should bing the bead out and smooth it out. when you spin you wheel on the work stand it will always feel like it's hopping around but on the road it's no prob.
i had a Renn for two season and it did the same thing but it was fine.
have fun and ride hard.
Dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another vote for using the disc.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear here - the course doesn't have any single elevation change over about 75 feet - and this over reasonable distances. If you got a 4 degree grade you would be lucky. Most of those occur as you cros the water over a couple of bridges, so you can haul down going into it and run mommentum coming out. I am not a particularly strong cyclist, and this is a solid big ring only course. I would go disc without concern here.

BTW - they have shortend the swim to 1500m because of temperature. Go figure.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is only one hill on the course which is a bitch. And it's too short
to really hurt you. No wind Saturday also. Definitely Disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel on rolling course? [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
let some air out of the tire and move it around with you hand
Specifically, wiggle it/flex it back and forth at a 90 degree angle to the direction of travel.
Quote Reply