Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc wheel cover????
Quote | Reply
So I've done a fair amount of research and have somewhat decided that I'd like to try one of these disc wheel covers. Currently I have a hed disc brake wheel set with an 80 mm rear. I'm sure there will be a little bit of gain but not expecting anything too crazy. Does anyone have any real world experience with something similar?

To give a little reference this is for a triathlon bike and in my last Olympic I averaged 24 miles an hour with a 60 mm up front and 80 mm in the rear.

Also it seems like wheelbuilder does not make one for a disc brake however ez disk does. The only bummer is ez disc has to come from Europe. Anybody know something similar being made in the US that will work on a disc brake bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover???? [DustinWiemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience about 5 watts, but in the tight conditions can be more.

I made my own cover. I bought ABS plastic and had them laser cut. Required about 2 iterations and the third got the sizing perfect (there was a gtn I watched and thought I would try a DIY).

I taped mine pretty firmly to the spokes so I don't take it on and off, I used an old powertap wheel I have so I have the "disc" and the normal wheel.

I am not really "handy" but had no issues with my wheel e.g. cover coming off etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover???? [DustinWiemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked a similar question a while back, although considering a standard disc wheel (not a cover): https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20vs%2080mm#p7892932

I was grateful for all the links & info shared by fellow ST members. The conclusion I drew from this review is, that the companies & tests are quite aligned:
  • 9/10 cases with the yaw angle close to 0 degrees: the benefit of a disc wheel will be around 1.5-2.0W faster compared to a deep rear wheel
  • 1/10 cases with strong side wind: the sailing effect will happen and the disc wheel has a potential of being up to 20W faster compared to a deep rear wheel

Then it's up to you, your budget, time & utility. I personally sticked to my 80/80 for simplicity.
Quote Reply