Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc on road bike
Quote | Reply
I have a race this weekend, and my tribike will out of commission, so I'll likely be racing on my road bike. I just received a pair of race wheels (Hed disc and Hed 3) that I've been oh so looking forward to using. I suspect I'll still get pretty close the same benefit from the wheels regardless of the bike, but will I still be cool? Please help.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As ice.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah...if I am bored I put the 909's on the Ultimate and go do a little Crit course that I made up and train on, lots of corners - fast ones...fun fun fun...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, we have a top coach that often rides a disc in crits, but beware ... you will be a marked rider, they will smell a breakaway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran CH Aero covers on a Giant TCR. Don't know if it made me cooler, but would be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary -

You have to be talking about Arnie Baker! I was out in SD for the Cyclo-Vets Omnium this year and I saw him racing a disk in the crit. He was flying around the course and noise was great as he came by. He's done that for a quite a while... and yep, he's a marked rider to say the least, disk or no disk! I remember a guy named Carl Sundquist racing crits and RR's on a disk back in the late 80's early 90's. Same thing!

I saw from your post on the Cambridge TT that Paul Langois was riding Rotors. That's another fast guy! I see him on the TSV group rides out here from time to time and he's a really cool guy as well, you couldn't help out a better guy.

-lar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be cool, but it is not cool to ask if you are cool.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So long as you still have aerobars on the bike, there is no coolness penalty.
With out them, I'd prefer to see you on deep-dishes, but it's not that big of deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he goes slow that there is a huge coolness penalty tri bars or not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never understood why anyone would put low-profile racing tires with huge rims on an SUV like an Escalade?

What is next, a disc on a Mountain Bike. Use deep dish rims and save the disc for when your tri-bike is fixed.

Just my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I never understood why anyone would put low-profile racing tires with huge rims on an SUV like an Escalade?"

So you can squeeze more chrome in.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [lar_wans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is Arnie.

He had a TT helmet as well I believe. I volunteered at the SD Omnium crit as a course marshal this year.

Paul is a great rider, nice guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So you can squeeze more chrome in"

Ahhhh, I see now... it is because of the bling factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being fast is cool. Being worried about what is cool is sad.

Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [Pluto 70.3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just put the disc on and hammer. So long as it makes you faster who gives a crap what it looks like. Unless its a snorkel in the swim. Thats just queer.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At last someone with some sense other than Cerveloguy.

Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever see the Tioga Tension Disc mtb wheel? From the early 90's. So dope you could smoke it.

And disc wheels on a road bike are fine. Makes your road bike look pretty pimped out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only problem is if one knucklehead takes you down and your wheels get messed up that ends up being one expensive road race!

I use my cheap wheels for crits, I havent crashed in one yet (knocks on own head) but I know its a matter of time.......
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on road bike [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no disc on a road bike unless your name is santiago botero and you're winning the world time trial-championships. cool?

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply