Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [chase196126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read about this on Ben's twitter. Thank god no one was hurt and yea for long range photo lenses!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
An able bodied competitive cyclist should be able to withstand a slam on the breaks

Man, I was 'slammed' about ten years ago but was able to stop a few inches from the back of a pickup. I was really glad I had Dura-Ace breaks because I could have crashed and caused my wheel to brake. I was lucky to get unclipped because there was nothing to brake my fall.

Even after all these years I still brake into a sweat just thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
I am glad no one got hurt.

---

A fine is enough. No need to ruin the guys life more than that..

---

On the other hand few people commit such acts without provaction.

I was not there. I do not have knowledge of how the bicyclists were riding or what the traffic conditions were.

But I do know how some bicyclists, even professionals, ride. It is not always legal or safe. (Yes, I too have been guilty of less than perfect bicycle riding.)

It is hard to know what happened. It is impossible for the motorist to defend himself.

I don't agree that the driver's actions should be lightly excused. But you raise an excellent point. From the OP: "He came by our our group screaming obscenities like "Fucking cyclists get of the road" etc."

Sideswiping a cyclist is inexcusable, and I hope the driver is appropriately punished. But, what were the circumstance that set him off? The pack of cyclists rolling through a stop sign, maybe right in front of him? Riding 4 abreast when the law requires keeping right?

There are reasons drivers hate cyclists. Often they are born out of ignorance that cyclists have a right to be on the road as much as they do. But, cyclists who flaunt traffic laws and lack common courtesy share some of the blame.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 23, 13 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Sometimes this is so appropriate ... for cowards in their cars ...

No it is not , but glad the cyclist and support vehicles were able to keep their heads together and act appropriately. Hope the guy in the car gets what he deserves.

Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, what were the circumstance that set him off? The pack of cyclists.....

Huh?! So using your logic, if I see a motorist flaunt the law, which all do at some point, it's understandable that I may get angry and use deadly force against them?! They would share in the blame for the encounter?

Last edited by: squid: Feb 23, 13 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
But, what were the circumstance that set him off? The pack of cyclists.....

Huh?! So using your logic, if I see a motorist flaunt the law, which all do at some point, it's understandable that I may get angry and use deadly force against them?! They would share in the blame for the encounter?

You misunderstood what I wrote. The word "blame" refers to "reasons drivers hate cyclists" in the same paragraph, not blame for the (alleged) assault. The driver's actions were inexcusable and I hope he is appropriately punished.

However, understanding why drivers become infuriated by cyclists can help reduce the frequency of this type of occurrence.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 23, 13 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
cyclops wrote:
Mac wrote:
cyclops wrote:
chase196126 wrote:

However this works out in the end the guy is at least spending today in jail, which is a lot more than many other incidents. I would love to see the book thrown at him, though. 10 years in FMITA prison to teach him a real lesson.

Since no one got hurt 10 years seems pretty excessive. Anger management classes and a few months jail time is appropriate.

Is this meant to be in pink font?
So, if someone shoots at you with a gun, but misses you - no harm...go to anger mgmt class?

Shooting someone with a gun is much more likely to result in death than slamming your breaks on someone.

Now since the dent was on the side door?? That indicates the driver side swiped into the cyclist? That is much more dangerous than slamming your breaks on someone. An able bodied competitive cyclist should be able to withstand a slam on the breaks, but a side slam? That's pretty sketchy.

No doubt, this was a dirt bag act. I don't support it. What I don't support is excessive punishment compelled by emotion.

hi lighted for you cyclops, since even in America - more people are murdered err, sorry killed with cars than guns....

you must forgive this guy's lack of insight as he only has one eye, and that one eye got speared by Ulysses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it won't. Sending this guy to jail for an extended period of time and setting an example that will wake drivers up to what will happen to them if they use their car as a weapon is what will reduce these situations.

Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
No it won't. Sending this guy to jail for an extended period of time and setting an example that will wake drivers up to what will happen to them if they use their car as a weapon is what will reduce these situations.

How many times must I repeat that I hope the driver is punished appropriately?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enough times until you learn that its irrelevant what set him off and you never think or talk that way again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify the scenario, I don't think anything our team was doing set this guy off, other than simply being on the road. We were riding two abreast on the right side of the white line, there was enough room on the shoulder to ride side by side without going into the lane of traffic. Our director was not behind us with his hazard lights on slowing down traffic like many teams.

You can see the shoulder in this photo: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...f-hit-and-run/253213

I did not hear the guy yell this myself, but several guys who were at the back of the group said he yelled that we should be on the bike path. Make no mistake, this guy was out to hurt us and he gave it his best try by ramming my teammates with his car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
However, understanding why drivers become infuriated by cyclists can help reduce the frequency of this type of occurrence.
Isn't this analogous to forcing women to cover up and not show any skin to prevent men from being 'turned on' and sexually assaulting the tramps and sluts walking around with their legs exposed?
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cldtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cldtx wrote:
tri808 wrote:
I'm glad your team is okay, and the city prosecutor is taking this seriously. It totally baffles my mind when other cases similar to this get off with little to no criminal charges.

Would it make any difference if the driver was charged with say 15 counts of aggravated assault (one count for every cyclist in the group...or at least every cyclist that sustained an injury)? Does that increase the sentancing...or at least make it harder to plea bargin down?

You do realize that the bar is set by your local jury pools, right? If the guy can walk into court, ask for a trial and the jurors don't care about what he did (e.g., they hate cyclist), then the prosecutor has no leverage and pleads the case out. It is a negotiation between the defendant and the prosecutor based on what the jury is likely to do with the case...This is why I think it is funny when people get mad that cases aren't "taken seriously" - it is more likely that the local jury pools does not take the crime seriously and that is where the issue starts.

Yes...I do realize that the leverage a prosecutor (or defense attorney) has is highly dependant on how they feel the jury views the case. My point was simply that if the jury feels that the defendant is guilty of aggravated assault, would it matter if the prosecutor pushed for 1 count, or 15 counts. If a conviction is likely, a defense lawyer might be able to plea one count of AA down to X months in prison...but I'm wondering what he could plea 15 counts of AA down to.

If you take a baseball bat and assault 15 people...I don't think you should get the same penalty as someone who takes the same bat and assaults just one person.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
Shooting someone with a gun is much more likely to result in death than slamming your breaks on someone.

I'm not sure if shooting at someone is much more likely to result in death than trying to hit a cyclist with a car. Depends on a lot of things and is speculation on your part - or perhaps you have some evidence about this?

This guy did not kill, so I guess that's evidence. But people shoot other people outside w/o killing them too.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Feb 23, 13 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
cyclops wrote:
Mac wrote:
cyclops wrote:
chase196126 wrote:

However this works out in the end the guy is at least spending today in jail, which is a lot more than many other incidents. I would love to see the book thrown at him, though. 10 years in FMITA prison to teach him a real lesson.

Since no one got hurt 10 years seems pretty excessive. Anger management classes and a few months jail time is appropriate.

Is this meant to be in pink font?
So, if someone shoots at you with a gun, but misses you - no harm...go to anger mgmt class?

Now since the dent was on the side door?? That indicates the driver side swiped into the cyclist? That is much more dangerous than slamming your breaks on someone. An able bodied competitive cyclist should be able to withstand a slam on the breaks, but a side slam? That's pretty sketchy.

No doubt, this was a dirt bag act. I don't support it. What I don't support is excessive punishment compelled by emotion.

hi lighted for you cyclops, since even in America - more people are murdered err, sorry killed with cars than guns....

you must forgive this guy's lack of insight as he only has one eye, and that one eye got speared by Ulysses.

I rescind my previous opinion erring on the side of forgiveness for said assailant. After reading more posts it appears this guy was deranged and used his vehicle rather violently. I am just used to standard fits of road rage like having an empty beer can thrown at me so I was equating the act in light of my own experiences.
Last edited by: cyclops: Feb 23, 13 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [tri808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally think they should just pull his license permanently. Driving should be a privilege and not a right and this guy has demonstrated he doesn't deserve the privilege of driving a car and should lose his ability to do so. Unfortunately most people view driving as a right so this will never happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I agree. However I don't believe it's cyclist specific. Your either the type of driver that gets infuriated or not. I would say it's probably just easy to vent to a cyclist because they can pull alongside and let rip, once the angers flowing I guess it gets the better of some people. I also believe we have a responsibility as cyclist to be mindful of drivers and be the least amount of hindrance as possible. Some riders do seem to ride ignorantly and cause unnecessary obstruction, to be fair they probably drive with the same ignorance too.

As for this instance I am glad they got the guy. Maybe if he goes to prison he will learn what its like to have a day in the saddle, when your sore the next day ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
Isn't this analogous to forcing women to cover up and not show any skin to prevent men from being 'turned on' and sexually assaulting the tramps and sluts walking around with their legs exposed?

No.

Civil behavior on public roads requires courtesy and obeying traffic laws by all. Those that disregard these tenets infuriate others, whether they're drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians.

Skimpy clothing is not illegal. Blowing stop signs or not keeping right (in places) is. (Not that clothing, stop signs, or keeping right is an issue in this particular case.)

Of course I don't believe that scantily-clad women are responsible should they be assaulted. Nor do I believe that cyclists are responsible when they are. But, cyclists as a group do bear some responsibility for infuriating drivers. That does not imply that being infuriated justifies assault.

I'm a cyclist too. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on public roads in the US and had my share of honks, rude comments, and buzz by's. I get it. But I've also seen lots of dumb-ass riding by cyclists that fuels driver animosity towards us. This we-got-to-stick-together-it's-us-against-the-drivers tribe mentality is counter productive.

We're really looking at two separate issues as this thread has diverged:

1) This driver (assuming the information provided so far is accurate) assaulted a group of cyclists and should be punished for his actions.

2) Cyclists in general, not necessarily in this particular case, aren't doing themselves any favors when they ride irresponsibly/illegally/discourteously.

Some on this thread have conflated these two issues and/or have misunderstood my posts here.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 23, 13 17:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

1) This driver (assuming the information provided so far is accurate) assaulted a group of cyclists and should be punished for his actions.

2) Cyclists in general, not necessarily in this particular case, aren't doing themselves any favors when they ride irresponsibly/illegally/discourteously.

Some on this thread have conflated these two issues and/or have misunderstood my posts here.
You raised the point that we should take the time to understand what behaviour of ours might be irritating a deranged, irrational individual. I'm obviously paraphrasing a little, but I don't think we need to do anything other than put the dirtbags in jail. All motorists roll through stop signs just like cyclists, but for some reason this irritates many drivers. Most just bitch about it and don't actually try and kill or maim the cyclists.

Sure some cyclists could improve their riding habits as could most drivers. Focusing on cyclist's behaviour in situations as described by the OP is fruitless and unnecessary in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

You raised the point that we should take the time to understand what behaviour of ours might be irritating a deranged, irrational individual.

No, I raised that point that we should consider that our behavior fuels animosity towards us by many drivers. This particular driver should get what's coming to him

I'm obviously paraphrasing a little, but I don't think we need to do anything other than put the dirtbags in jail.

I agree. But what of the honks, rude comments, buzz-by's etc.? I'm sure you don't think those drivers should be jailed too. Here is where courteous riding can help us on the roads.

All motorists roll through stop signs just like cyclists, but for some reason this irritates many drivers. Most just bitch about it and don't actually try and kill or maim the cyclists.

I'd wager that cyclist blow stop signs more often than drivers do. (Though, here in Idaho, it's actually legal for cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. But sadly, many drivers are unaware of this law and get pissed at us anyway...)

Sure some cyclists could improve their riding habits as could most drivers. Focusing on cyclist's behaviour in situations as described by the OP is fruitless and unnecessary in my opinion.

I'm not "focusing" on our behavior in the context of this incident. As I mentioned, the thread has really diverged into two topics.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 23, 13 17:24
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mikegarmin4 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: mikegarmin4: Feb 23, 13 17:34
Quote | Reply
+1
gregf83 wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

You raised the point that we should take the time to understand what behaviour of ours might be irritating a deranged, irrational individual. I'm obviously paraphrasing a little, but I don't think we need to do anything other than put the dirtbags in jail. All motorists roll through stop signs just like cyclists, but for some reason this irritates many drivers. Most just bitch about it and don't actually try and kill or maim the cyclists.

Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All motorists roll through stop signs just like cyclists",
"Sure some cyclists could improve their riding habits as could most drivers"

Here we go again.
The old spiel of finger-pointing and generalization to justify/defend ones own misbehavior.

And to save you a post:
Yes, I have made judgement calls to roll stop signs and to speed, but I don't use others as an excuse for my own occasional poor behavior.

And I proud myself to follow the law, obey signage and go the speed limit most of the time when operating a vehicle.

So speak for yourself, man up to your digressions and leave others out of it!

Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mikegarmin4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least twice each season, some driver deliberately tries to kill me on the road while riding. Most commonly, they buzz me at 50mph + or they throw something at me. I don't think that they appreciate that they could literally kill me. Perhaps they think of me as something subhuman. I have never reported anyone, in thinking about, maybe I should start. This kind of insane road rage on the part of drivers is certainly not representative of most drivers, but it's not exactly uncommon either. Its most likely the same small group of jerks who do this kind of stuff repeatedly, maybe getting one off the road will literally save someone's life.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am compiling a series of videos entitled The best of Near Misses. Im setting up a youtube channel to post my gopro videos of near misses. Before it goes live, I want to gather some more vids. I only have 2 good ones so far. Being in the NY area, I have many a $$ holes to profile. My goal is to get license plate numbers published. Unfortunately, even though the cameras are 1080p, it's only 30fps I think, so it's not smooth enough to capture plates. I hear the new cam has higher fps, but I just bought mine this summer. Not going to shell out another 600 for 2 more cams.

I hope other ST'ers, including yourself, do the same. If nobody beats me to it, I'm hoping to have it up this summer.

Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Quote Reply

Prev Next