Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dinner tonight? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stuffed spaghetti squash (stuffed w/ mushrooms, jalapenos, spinach & a little parmesan cheese) topped w/ homemade pasta sauce. Yummy!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spanikopita!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last night's dinner (fridays are "fend for yourself night - tanker usually grills himself a couple of burgers):

clockwise from top left:

- ginger garlic sesame stir fried chicken breast with scallions, shitake mushrooms & bok choy
- sauteed beet greens
- roasted beet
- roasted butternut squash

i like to roast off some veggies on friday night (which is my day off from training) so i have stuff ready to go when i need something quick in between errands/training sessions on the weekend. of course, this leads to sampling on friday nights as above :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I'm doing a shepherd's pie for tonight using 1/2 the normal amount of lamb and bulking it up with red kidney beans and mushrooms. We'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omelete for me last night.
I made spanikopita for lunches this week.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to come to dinner at your house! Yum!!

http://www.runningwithdoggies.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canned soup - Amy's bean and pasta something
Chocolate covered salted caramels
Cadbury's mini eggs
Egg sandwich from Starbucks for breakfast

Oh wow, I need help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tis mini egg season, huh?

12 oz carrot-ginger soup (from the school union, so homemade by someone), 3 hard boiled eggs, and a sandwich later while I was studying.

Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [followmybliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, thanks :)

last night was a roasting night:

roasted brussels sprouts with a sort of casserole of roasted potato, turnip, onion, leek, portobello mushrooms and pieces of spinach feta chicken sausage. a little olive oil, sea salt, fresh pepper and crushed rosemary just to keep things lively.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
You should do a Page-A-Day calendar thing with all your dinner ideas! I'd buy one! :) I have a default dinner rut I always fall into. Your pics have inspired me --- and they are EASY to make too.

http://www.runningwithdoggies.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [followmybliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as the world's laziest food blogger, i post dinner daily and brunch on weekends on facebook. no time or inclination to do anything more ambitious, but it does let me look back through (i'm onto the 3rd album - over 400 photos) and come up with ideas if i'm feeling uncreative. many of the early ones are off limits now since i have discovered numerous pain-in-the-ass food allergies in the past couple of years, but i'm pretty good at substitutions and alterations these days. i figure if i can make gluten free pastry from scratch (my christmas 2011 project) and have it come out buttery and flaky, there's very little left by which to be intimidated :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Would you please share the pastry recipe? My brother's girlfriend is gluten-free and she might like it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's based on the ruhlman 3:2:1 ratio for pastry, but it MUST be done by weight. after many attempts with various flour combinations, this one worked the best:

(makes 2 x 9" crusts)

- 170g white rice flour
- 65g potato starch
- 65g tapioca flour
- 90g unsalted butter, ice cold, in pieces
- 90g lard, ice cold, in pieces (if making a meat pie, i use all lard)
- 60-80g of ice water
- pinch salt
- if making a sweet pie, add optional 1-2tbsp of brown sugar (this is amazing for apple or pumpkin pie)

place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to homogenize & aerate. cut in fat with pastry blender until coarse crumbs form. drizzle in just enough water to bring it together while mixing with pastry blender. dump in two batches onto plastic wrap, pat into discs approx. 1-1.5" thick and refrigerate minimum 2hrs (better if left overnight).

remove from fridge and allow to come to cool room temperature (20mins on counter, more or less). lay out a silicone mat or parchment paper and sprinkle generously with tapioca starch. place one disc in the middle, generously sprinkle with starch, then lay plastic wrap overtop of disc and roll out. always roll away from yourself, from the centre, and turn the pin or the mat 15 degrees or so after each stroke until you have a circle approx. 1/8" thick. if it tears you can ball it up and re-roll without fear of it toughening, as there's no gluten to form bonds.

you can cut pieces and fill them for turnovers, cut circles to make tarts, or (for a full pie) you can hold the rolling pin over the middle of the dough and use the silicone mat to bring it up and over the pin, then carefully lay it in your pie dish. if you have cracks or tears they can be repaired by adding small scraps glued in with a wet fingertip. you can blind bake with pie weights (i use dried kidney beans on a piece of tinfoil) at 425 for 15mins, or fill, crimp edges, cut vents and bake:

tarts/turnovers/hand pies - 15mins @ 425f, then reduce to 350f and bake another 15-20mins
full pie - 20mins @425f, reduce to 350f and bake 40-50mins.

blueberry hand pies and roly poly (leftover dough spread with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins, then rolled up)

mincemeat & raspberry tartlets, apple tart

blueberry tart (i use removable-bottom tart/quiche tins as pictured above)

full size apple and cherry pies for my husband's company potluck

slices from the above

christmas eve tourtiere (all-lard crust)

tourtiere

pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie at christmas dinner

care package i put together for a neighbour - tourtiere, pumpkin pie, GF shortbread bells, GF gingerbread bears, a slice of david liebovitz' "chocolate idiot cake" and a piece of chocolate walnut fudge.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Those look incredible. Thanks for the recipes!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're welcome, and thanks! next project is GF puff pastry (i have some recipes to test and some ideas), but that'll have to wait until after the A race of the season :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
So last night I baked a spaghetti squash and sauteed garlic and shallots with cumin, coriander, corainder and mustard seeds a pinch of cinnamon and a little cayanne and a can of garbonzo beans. I then tossed the squash with the saute mix and also threw in some chopped toasted pecans. It was the ugliest heap of nasty looking grey blah... but it tasted great! I think I over cooked the squash a bit. I'll attempt it again but just use the spice/bean/nut combo as a topping to fluffed up squash.
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any sub for the lard? The thought of it gives me the willies, although your pies look beautiful and I'm sure they're absolutely delish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Nutrition has a free cookbook you can download from their site. I did so and tonight made Zucchini Soup. I added a few things, like black pepper and garlic, but it was quite yummy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can use shortening (which gives me the willies) or all butter instead, but the crust will change in character. this is an excellent article that illustrates the differences between various fats:

http://query.nytimes.com/...3&pagewanted=all

stir fry last night, over black rice:

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last night I had a sandwich, 3 scrambled eggs with cheese, and two snickers bars while I was up late studying. The good thing is it is the only time this week I've had candy :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made this the other day: great winter meal for leftovers!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/...til-soup-recipe.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [Rae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four course meal for the game tonight:
1) nachos
2) chicken wings and celery sticks with blue cheese dip
3) ribs and broccoli slaw
4) apple berry pie with whipped cream.

The gluttony stops now. Tomorrow I start the calorie reduction!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this was the only "superbowl" at our house this weekend:

seafood chowder made with fresh littleneck clams, mussels, shrimp, wild bay scallops and haddock, plus yukon gold potato, onion & garlic in a vegetable stock, clam juice & white wine broth. the GF bread pictured is from our farmers' market (made with rice flour) and was perfect torn into pieces and dumped into the broth once you'd eaten the shellfish.

had some amazing brunches as well, like potato, onion & red chard breakfast hash:

and crepes stuffed with scrambled eggs & cottage cheese:

mushrooms, scallions & red chard (my husband said this was his favourite):

apples & cinnamon:

nutella & banana (yesterday being world nutella day):

and blueberries and cream (actually greek yogurt):

all served with peameal bacon from our farmers' market:

then we cycled out to a local farm that mostly grows asparagus, but also keeps pastured pigs that they let run around and eat up the asparagus stalks after the harvest. picked up some lovely pork butt chops and tanker grilled them over charcoal while i made some pesto-tossed rotini and sauteed zucchini with portobello mushrooms & garlic:

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
that all looks amazing!!
Quote Reply
Re: Dinner tonight? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks :) really enjoyed last night's dinner: local pastured lamb shanks braised in red wine, dijon mustard and rosemary with mirepoix and mushrooms accompanied by red wine & broccoli risotto. used the same wine in both so the flavours came together nicely.

was technically cooked backwards, though: did a stove-top braise and baked the risotto!

cheers!

-mistress k

Prev Next