Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week?
Quote | Reply
I'm strongly getting back to the iron distance next year and this is essentially the only viable (affordable) option for me.

Did anyone compete last week? I'd love some reviews/reports.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Peasantman as my first long course race. This is a small race, 240 competitors in the sprint, olympic, half and full races. There were about 30 in the full race. The group that runs the race are a great bunch of people and their passion shows. The swim is a 2 loop lake course, had a little chop on the water but otherwise a standard swim. Short run to transition, 50 meter along grass. Bike is a 4 loop course of mostly right hand turns. Roads are for the most part in really good shape, the course was well marked and had 3 aid stations. Couple of short punchy hills but very ridable. Strava gave it 4800 feet of elevation change. The run course is also a 4 looper. There are 4 aid stations on the loop if you include the one at the start, so youre always less then a mile from a stop and you pass your special needs bag 8 times. Aid stations were all really well stocked with coke, gatorade, pretzel, gel.... It was a really supportive group out on the run which helped make the suffering more bearable. I'm hoping to fit this race into the schedule again next year. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the first in 2013 and again in 2016, good people, cool vibe. The RD really really wants you to have a good day and it shows. Lake is the cleanest water I have ever swam in to boot. The field for the full is tiny though. It can get very lonely on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week? [bwamery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So glad I found someone that actually did it!

One of the things I worry about regarding small full distance races is the on course support. I did a HITS 70.3 once and it was tough, couldn't imagine doing twice the distance. But since Peasantman has a four loop bike course I figure one could just stop each time to get more bottles/food and you wouldn't have to overstuff yourself and bike. How did you handle bike nutrition?

Registration is only $296 for the next few weeks. That's so hard to pass up! If I did Mont Tremblant it would probably run $2k but I could do this for probably $7-800.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowAmericano wrote:
Did the first in 2013 and again in 2016, good people, cool vibe. The RD really really wants you to have a good day and it shows. Lake is the cleanest water I have ever swam in to boot. The field for the full is tiny though. It can get very lonely on the bike.

I don't mind being lonely on the bike. Probably actually prefer it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you brought this up as it reminded me of this race. I'm hoping to do full sometime in the next year or two and this just may be the race to go for it. It would also be a good option to at least get back into the half distance if I can't get my T1D dialed in for a full. I've done the Keuka Lake Tri several years and it's one of my favorite races. The lake is crystal clear and the area is beautiful. Score This also does a great job in timing/organizing things. Looking over the page, I see there is a deferral policy prior to August 1st for the half and full distances. That's a big plus for my injury prone self. Finally, a mid/late August race gives this northern PA boy time to train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do well with Hammer Perpetuem so had a between the bars hydration bottle and behind the seat. Stopped at the special needs aid stop which is at the end of the loop (so you pass it 4 times) and picked up a set of bottles that I had made up an frozen the day before. There was a little ice in them but at least they tasted okay. Since there are so few athlete the volunteers were right on getting me the bag and it only cost a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Peasantman Steel full distance last week? [bwamery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwamery wrote:
I do well with Hammer Perpetuem so had a between the bars hydration bottle and behind the seat. Stopped at the special needs aid stop which is at the end of the loop (so you pass it 4 times) and picked up a set of bottles that I had made up an frozen the day before. There was a little ice in them but at least they tasted okay. Since there are so few athlete the volunteers were right on getting me the bag and it only cost a few seconds.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. If I go back to long course, I'm going to try Infinit so I can try and rely more on liquids. Thinking I could probably go BTA, down tube and one behind the saddle and maybe just get through 2 laps like that before swapping out all three before the 3rd lap. Is there an aid station out on the bike loop where they hand up water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All 3 aid stations had water and gatorade. The last one, about a half mile from the end of the loop is where the special needs bags were. First aid station is about mile 12 ish, second about mile 21 ( a tough location as it is right before a turn onto a busy road). I did the 3 bottle routine and swapped everything at the end of the second loop. Worked well for me.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think I'm pretty convinced about signing up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring back the thread.

Has anyone done Peasantman in recent years? Welcome to Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlons

I want to consider this with the possibility that Lake Placid wont happen.

Would it be a bad idea to do this race 4 weeks out from WC's?
Last edited by: LifeTri: May 9, 21 17:48
Quote Reply