Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Develop my swim intervall session
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I‘m doing an intervall session of 10x200m (SCM) clocking 01:35/100 with 45 sec rest comfortably (10/10).

In order to get faster (goal is a 01:30/100 on a half distance) how should I tweak the session?
01:32/100 on 45 sec rest and then 01:30/100 on 45 and then reduce the pause in 5 sec steps?

Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Develop my swim intervall session [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisomemari wrote:
Hi all,

I‘m doing an intervall session of 10x200m (SCM) clocking 01:35/100 with 45 sec rest comfortably (10/10).

In order to get faster (goal is a 01:30/100 on a half distance) how should I tweak the session?
01:32/100 on 45 sec rest and then 01:30/100 on 45 and then reduce the pause in 5 sec steps?

Thank you in advance.

You should work more variety into your repertoire. No-one has just one interval workout that they do. And if there were just one interval workout that I could do, and no others, this wouldn't be it.

But for this specific session, you can keep the rest interval anywhere between 30 and 45 seconds and it'll do pretty much the same thing from a training perspective. You want to be going as quick as you can hold at whatever rest interval you decide to do.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree that you will want to mix it up with various sessions. Don't think that more intervals alone will make you faster. Get used to giving your body longer, slower swims and mix in intervals to help. I made another post about this, but you should check out my new free book because it has some really good swim workouts. One of my favorites in there is the Indy 500 swim workout. It'll hurt but it helped me to improve my time. I did it every week for the first few weeks before phasing it out some. I would bring it back in to keep me honest from time to time.

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 45 seconds rest is too much. Start doing the set of 10 on 2 minutes. Hold the 1:35s with the quicker interval. You should be able to do the 10 with an avg of 15 seconds rest. Do them on the two minute interval for a few workouts but plan on doing them on 1:55 and then 1:50 in the near future. You should work on descending the speed of the swims within the set. So do a harder effort as the set goes on from 1-5 and you can take a minute break and then descend from 6-10. Start with a 1:38-40 and work your way down to a 1:32-33 on the 5 and 10th swims.

To get down to 1:30 pace, try doing 50s holding 45 seconds, Do them on 30 seconds rest to start but plan to shorten the rest interval in the future to push yourself. See how many you can do in row right now as a test set and then check your progress as you get in better shape. Once you can do 10 shorten the rest interval
Quote Reply
Re: Develop my swim intervall session [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
The 45 seconds rest is too much. Start doing the set of 10 on 2 minutes. Hold the 1:35s with the quicker interval. You should be able to do the 10 with an avg of 15 seconds rest. Do them on the two minute interval for a few workouts but plan on doing them on 1:55 and then 1:50 in the near future. You should work on descending the speed of the swims within the set. So do a harder effort as the set goes on from 1-5 and you can take a minute break and then descend from 6-10. Start with a 1:38-40 and work your way down to a 1:32-33 on the 5 and 10th swims.

To get down to 1:30 pace, try doing 50s holding 45 seconds, Do them on 30 seconds rest to start but plan to shorten the rest interval in the future to push yourself. See how many you can do in row right now as a test set and then check your progress as you get in better shape. Once you can do 10 shorten the rest interval

He's doing sets of 200's with 45s rest interval. You've just told him to switch to 100's with a 25s rest interval, near as I can tell. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different workout.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Develop my swim intervall session [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need my reading glasses. I read it as 100s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
allright, thank you.

Used to go to the pool twice a week, now over the winter month I plan to go 3x.

Of course it‘s not all intervals and I do have my „slow“ session as well.

Mind to share THE interval session for half distance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with 45 sec rest comfortably //

This is the key word here, try and do the same set but uncomfortably. That is a lot of rest for a trained person, which if you are holding that time, you are. Try it the set on the 3;30, do as many as you can at your 3;10 pace, and work towards getting that set back to doing them all at 3;10..

But as others have said, there are so many sets you should be doing in swimming, this is just a tiny fraction of an overall plan. It is a good test set though, those are very important for improvements, and short term goal setting. And do a bunch of sets that allow you to hold sub 1;25 pace per 100 too. They will tag into you test set along with your longish paced sets...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trisomemari wrote:
allright, thank you.

Used to go to the pool twice a week, now over the winter month I plan to go 3x.

Of course it‘s not all intervals and I do have my „slow“ session as well.

Mind to share THE interval session for half distance?

Why do you do a slow session? Why would you do anything that is not interval-based for the swim?

As far as THE session goes, 20 x 100 @ race pace on 15-20s rest. But, and this is a big old badonkadonk but, I would hardly ever do that either. There are better ways to work on specific systems, it doesn’t really do much for raw speed, and I really like working intervals that are either a bit longer than that or a bit shorter. I like sets that have pace changes within them, either build, descend, or going fast then slower? Or slow then fast.

But, if you wanna have just one jack of all trades set, that’s what I would pick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my „slow sessions“ are the 5x400 with pull buoy, fins, paddles, ankle band and one w/o anything.
Quote Reply