Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Details - The Key to Winning the TdF is where you park the team bus
Quote | Reply
This is a great article on how detailed the Postal team is in its approach to the Tour.

http://www.velonews.com/...articles/6618.0.html

In addition to their bus parking skill, I found this passage interesting.

"You have probably seen that some of the well-financed teams like Postal fly at least their star riders off of the mountain in helicopters. But with whatever means you get them down, you want to set off ASAP, and I would not be surprised if recovery time went into the decision for Armstrong to let Ivan Basso win the stage to La Mongie. (I realize that it is not a generally agreed upon point that Armstrong did not contest the final meters, but I have no doubt.)

Had Armstrong won that stage, he would have had to go to mandatory medical control, stand on the podium, and, after the podium presentation, give a mandatory press conference (the stage winner and the yellow the jersey always must do all three of these things). Once he has the yellow jersey, he must commit this amount of time anyway after each stage, but until then, he only is required to if he wins a stage. These duties can delay his departure for the hotel, massage, dinner and bed by perhaps an hour and a half."
Quote Reply
Re: Details - The Key to Winning the TdF is where you park the team bus [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP,

Your mother would be proud of the intelligent son she raised!

You can bet every dollar you have that those were very real considerations for Armstrong. He's no dummy either. Perhaps the shrewdest competitor any TDF cyclist has ever faced.

Just like training hard, having aero wheels, having a light bike, managing nutrition and hydration issues as best as one can, improving riding position on the road for comfort and time trialing for aerodynamic efficiency, switching the left brake shifter to just a brake lever and using a downtube shifter, etc., etc., etc. For Lance winning is not just an effort to overwhelm his competition with shear force, it is the summation of every little advantage gained in every aspect of the effort!

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Details - The Key to Winning the TdF is where you park the team bus [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had made a comment that if you just trim an hour a day and save that for rest, you'll have a whole day of rest during the tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am not suprised at the organization and care that the Posties have but seemingly how little other teams/riders have. I still can't believe that scouting the race course in advance and pre riding is not more common, it seems so logical and if Lance can find the time to do it what is everyone's excuse?

I also think that Lance let the stage win go to Basso because he didn't need it. Just think how long and frustrating it can be after any race for the awards ceremony. Many times I have waited 2 or more hours for awards ceremonies etc so in a multistage race like this with recovery being so important I think it makes sense to pick your battles.
Quote Reply