Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Designing training blocks
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Q for the group. I figure that when designing training blocks, it’s probably safer to only focus on one or two parameter goals at a time. E.g., progress the length of your threshold intervals, and maybe the total volume of your z2 time, but probably not ALSO the intensity of HIT intervals in the same block.

I can think of two reasons, one to make it easier to ensure you don’t overdo it, two bc it’s easier to isolate what worked and what didn’t if you have fewer interventions at a time.

But, is there a physiological reason for this? Amy physiological reason why you only focus on one or two goals at a time?

Curious how ya’ll design your blocks. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Designing training blocks [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Increasing volume & intensity at the same times works extremely well....for 3-6 weeks then, well..........

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Designing training blocks [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the interesting things that Seiler has reported is no significant differences in fitness between types of periodized training programs. I would take this to mean that either the exact structure of a training program is not as important as the intensity and overall training load OR the tools used to measure physiological adaptations aren’t precise enough to understand the difference.

That said I think there are enough practical and psychological reasons to focus on one or two types of intervals at a time, with an eye towards the requirements of the athlete’s event.
Quote Reply