Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, here is a question for you...

What are 'junk miles', and how do I avoid them in my training, especially over the winter when I am not trying to peak for a race.

Thanks Dude

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get your swimming coach to call you on a SAturday when you are supposed to meet at LTF to review your lack of technique and give you some much needed help instead of blowing you off completely? And if a coach has a particular penalty for missing one of his workouts is it reversed when the coach does not show up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using Accelerade with Thermolyte tabs each hour during the ride.

Her plan (which I've obviously modified) calls for the 5 hour ride I added the one hour run because she does not recommend a hilly bike course for first time IM with this plan and I gotta feel some confidence that the run is no problem since they're arent many bricks in the prescribed plan. I do know my IM bike pace (slow) I'll do the half hour run you suggest rather than the full hour. Can not ride from home towards Clermont is almost two highway hours on the other side of Orlando.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I've got an OCR 2 that I bought last summer in my first year of tri. Minimal budget then, as now. What would you, or would you, upgrade in terms of components and why?

derailleur- Front: Shimano Tiagra, Rear: Shimano Tiagra,
derailleurshifters- Shimano Tiagra,STI, 9 speed
cranks- Shimano Tiagra, triple, 30/42/52T
hubs- Shimano Sora,QR, cassette
cassette- Shimano HG50 12- 25T, 9 speed

http://www.giantbicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2003&model=10656
Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [WSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my bad, no not reversed. after all that is the advantage of being the coach in the coach-athlete relationship.

this weekend I'm in tucson.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [fludgerim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd upgrade the drive train components as those are the one taking the most use/abuse. probably in the order of r.der, chainrings/BB, shifters then f der.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What can i do over the winter to improve my running and biking? I am little overweight so losing 10-20lbs may be a start.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you hold your own on this thread AND in the Lavender room? I'd like to see you try...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reddy,

Missed this one so here is your answer:

Even though sea water conducts electricity, the current is reduce rapidly with distance from the strike point. So unless you a fish unlucky enough to be swimming near the strike you should be ok.

Eels don't produce more than about 120 amps some as few a just a couple of amps - to answer another questions.

These I actually had to do some research on - the monkey bite thing, you just got unlucky as I happened to read something in a journal about 3 years ago on that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably not. No monkey spanking for you for two weeks for trying to instigate things.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the eels did that, it would be one of the better things to happen to the earth lately.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of spankings, where's Miami79 today? And what is she up to? That's what I REALLY want to know... :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am training for Kona and yesterday I twisted my ankle, strained my knee, broke my back and contracted the ebola virus. Should I still train at full pace? Should I do the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed and Bigsky17 this is for you.

Volume and frequency Ed will improve your running. Are you running 6 times per week at least 35+ mpw? If not that would help and help with those few extra pounds, as would a week with the food police. Contact SAC and see what he is doing over the holidays, he is housetrained. Which leads to Mr. 17's ? about junk miles. After you have rested there is really no thing as a junk mile when building your base. You need to increase your volume to develop the aerobic pathways. There are stupid miles like sprinting for the city limit sign every ride, or getting into a pace line that just keeps getting faster and faster spitting people off the back, or going to the track to run intervals. really, getting into shape is about consisteny day after day after day week after week after week after week after week after well you get the idea. triathlon is, an aerobic sport and doing lots of base miles puts lots of money in the bank towards being able to go further faster. You would be surprised how fast you actually got if you took 24-30 weeks to develop base fitness. You could do climbing, and some LT stuff, but if you were consistent for that long you'd be a monster. 12-15 hours per week for 30 weeks will get you further than 18 hours this week 4 the next 6 the next 12 the next etc.

So avoid the always accelerating pace lin and the group run that starts easy but ends up being a hanner fest and just put in the miles.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [doherjo1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but I can't answer any questions, otherwise me and Brian could be mistaken by Roch Frey and Paul Huddle, and we certainly don't want that! (neither Roch and Paul...)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what she is up to, after all I'm this close l-----------------------------l to being omnipotent.

But to answer your question she should be getting off of work soon, then going for her evening workout.
would you like to know what her workout is?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 6, 05 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ed and Bigsky17 this is for you.

Volume and frequency Ed will improve your running. Are you running 6 times per week at least 35+ mpw? If not that would help and help with those few extra pounds, as would a week with the food police. Contact SAC and see what he is doing over the holidays, he is housetrained. Which leads to Mr. 17's ? about junk miles. After you have rested there is really no thing as a junk mile when building your base. You need to increase your volume to develop the aerobic pathways. There are stupid miles like sprinting for the city limit sign every ride, or getting into a pace line that just keeps getting faster and faster spitting people off the back, or going to the track to run intervals. really, getting into shape is about consisteny day after day after day week after week after week after week after week after well you get the idea. triathlon is, an aerobic sport and doing lots of base miles puts lots of money in the bank towards being able to go further faster. You would be surprised how fast you actually got if you took 24-30 weeks to develop base fitness. You could do climbing, and some LT stuff, but if you were consistent for that long you'd be a monster. 12-15 hours per week for 30 weeks will get you further than 18 hours this week 4 the next 6 the next 12 the next etc.

So avoid the always accelerating pace lin and the group run that starts easy but ends up being a hanner fest and just put in the miles.[/reply]

Does SAC babysit?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He might, but you'd have to babysit him at the same time...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does SAC babysit?
yes he does, contact me for fees. he loves to travel and doesn't take up much room.

You just have to be smart int he offseason so you don't fry yourself mentally. it is pretty hard to induce physiological overtraining but easier to induce psychological burnout.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Sir, I would. I hope she forgives me for all the stalkish remarks. I don't mean any harm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1000 skpds 4x50 k/b :10 1000 on 15:30 6x50 k/sp :15 600 on 8:25 4x75 kdb :10 450 on 6:45 4x50 d/sp :10

100cd

or an easy 20 min run

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey...... that swim workout looks strangley familiar! =)
Quote Reply
Re: Desert dude is taking YOUR questions! [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.....it should, you have to do it today

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK here's my question: what panties am I wearing right now?

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you send him the one with all the 500's on a 7:20, and let's see if he can do that....?
Quote Reply

Prev Next