Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Denver folks: How far south would I have to go?
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Arizona and I'm really getting concerned about my lack of long rides. I just can't force myself to sit on a trainer for any more than 3 hours. So is there somewhere that has good riding / better weather within a day's drive of Denver? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Quote Reply
Re: Denver folks: How far south would I have to go? [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try to head out to the Moab area. I don't know if they have any snow on the ground but I doubt it. It's only about 6 hours...

Edit: not sure if you are looking for a day trip. It's too far for that but a Fri - Sunday is possible.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Jan 19, 07 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southern Colorado got more snow than the rest of the state and more is forecast this weekend. I'd check out a "weekend special" internet fare to Phoenix. Southwest, United, or Frontier will usually have some kind of $150 deal that is Friday - Sunday night. Stay @ a cheapo hotel in Tempe and ride the course Sat and Sun.

If you can't get away, try doing a "double indoor brick." That consists of the following.

1.5 hour trainer ride
1 hour run
1.5 hour trainer ride
45 min run

You could even do a swim before the first trainer ride. I did both of these plans when training for AZ last year.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Denver folks: How far south would I have to go? [josherdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about hopping a plane to Phoenix, that might be my best bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing the same in a month or so....Pick up a southwest flight for less than $100 roundtrip and make a nice training weekend out of it.

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: Denver folks: How far south would I have to go? [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frontier has flights for this weekend to Phoenix for 89$ return.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver folks: How far south would I have to go? [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now if I could just figure out a way to get my bike down there without the $80 each way, it really would be a cheap training weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't come to PHX this weekend......nothing in the forecast but rain and cold.....try next weekend when it is supposed to be in the 70s.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: Denver folks: How far south would I have to go? [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's kinda what I was thinking anyway. Even if they don't have the last minute deal, its still pretty reasonable. Its not supposed to be *that* cold here tomorrow, so I think I can suck it up. It may even get above freezing! ;) If anyone is riding the course next weekend and wants some company, let me know.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are there any inexpensive hotels close to the airport that I can just take a shuttle? If I didn't have to rent a car, that would be good. Is it safe to ride close to the airport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much every hotel in the area has a free hotel shuttle and the IMAZ course is relatively safe and only about 3 to 4 miles form the aitport. Nice riding for the most part. Let me know when you come in and I can show you around and maybe ride with you. Get a hotel in Tempe and ride the course from there.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds good, thanks for all the info.

I'll probably go down next weekend and ride both days.. with a run after on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
should be nice next weekend......weather.com says in the low 70s....sunny, no wind....happy riding.

Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think many of us Front Rangers are dying for some nice dry, open roads and temps in the high 40s even.

Boring finance guy now
Quote Reply