Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DelMo/IM announcement tease
Quote | Reply
DelMo sports is perhaps most known for being behind escape the cape and IM 70.3 Atlantic City, but they also do some other NJ and PA-based races. Email newsletter from them today had a tease for an announcement tomorrow 7/31, with a graphic which depicted: the Ironman logo + DelMo logo = ?

Any rumors out there?
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it.

Everyone thinks it's a full IM coming to the Jersey shore. I honestly don't know how that gets pulled off. Unless Ironman is going to throw a lot behind it and get the Challenge AC bike course back or even the original IMAC bike course back and make it two loops........something like that but the Challenge course did not go over well with the community.......

I think it's a great venue in terms of the amount of lodging and nightlife, but I don't know where he finds a good 112 mile course.

Taking over Eagleman maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might be a new race coming to Philadelphia. That would be cool. Problem is, the Schuylkill is a bad swim venue. The Philly tri canceled their swim more than they actually had it.

The philly women’s tri is a huge hit. It’s a pool swim, but that works for the sprint distance. I don’t think 1.2 miles in a pool would work out though.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonp9576 wrote:
I think it might be a new race coming to Philadelphia. That would be cool. Problem is, the Schuylkill is a bad swim venue. The Philly tri canceled their swim more than they actually had it.

The philly women’s tri is a huge hit. It’s a pool swim, but that works for the sprint distance. I don’t think 1.2 miles in a pool would work out though.

I was thinking about Philadelphia as well, he kind of hinted at Philadelphia in the newsletter, but would Ironman do Philly and AC?

I can't believe he would give up AC to bring it up to Philly......

I don't see anything larger than an Olympic in the city.......and the swim venue is rough.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Poconos? Is that possible?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked in with a friend in the NJ tri community immediately upon seeing the facebook post. I am looking at my first full in 2020, and would move a lot of things to do a Steve Delmonte led race. Love Delmo!

But, I was advised that it may not be that exciting..... yet. This announcement may be regarding a Rock and Roll Marathon event, which is under the same ownership, so the MDot logo might refer to that.

I volunteered at Challenge Atlantic City in 2014. When that only lasted a year and got replaced by IM 70.3 AC, I always wondered if the 140.6 distance would come back later.

I'm hoping for it. But I also heard a rumor that if it happens it will be simultaneous with killing IMMD. That's rumor and speculation only.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [AirWeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The blog post seems to be something more significant than a Rock ‘n Roll race, but I have a lot of questions about the logistics of a jersey shore 140.6. My understanding is that Challenge AC was a disaster. Delmo is great but the idea of many loops on that bike course is kind of terrible and not enticing. I think it’s possible there will be a whole new race, or that he is taking over Eagleman/IMMD. I do agree that if there’s a new full coming to the Mid-Atlantic, it would be at the expense of IMMD. I fear that the death of Gerry Boyle means the death of that race.

I would LOVE a Philly 70.3/140.6 but to everyone’s point above, there is a real lack of swimming options. Can’t wait to see what news tomorrow brings.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [swimbikerungal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikerungal wrote:
The blog post seems to be something more significant than a Rock ‘n Roll race, but I have a lot of questions about the logistics of a jersey shore 140.6. My understanding is that Challenge AC was a disaster. Delmo is great but the idea of many loops on that bike course is kind of terrible and not enticing. I think it’s possible there will be a whole new race, or that he is taking over Eagleman/IMMD. I do agree that if there’s a new full coming to the Mid-Atlantic, it would be at the expense of IMMD. I fear that the death of Gerry Boyle means the death of that race.

I would LOVE a Philly 70.3/140.6 but to everyone’s point above, there is a real lack of swimming options. Can’t wait to see what news tomorrow brings.

I would also think that the post would be a bigger deal with a tease and an Mdot.

If I had to place a bet on a new race vs taking over IMMD, I'd bet the former for a couple reasons. IMMD has had serious weather issues a couple times and has declined in participation. And I don't see Delmo getting that excited over taking over as RD, vs starting a new event.

I have a vested interest in IMMD surviving, since I have relatives in Denton MD, meaning a free place to stay for a race. That's a factor for me since I'm not at that median triathlete income I hear so much about. Good news is I have lots of friends in NJ I can mooch off of too if that's where it is. :)

I'm really late to the party every time a race dies. I did Beach 2 Battleship 1/2 in 2012, hoping to return for the full, then it got bought and shortened. I was eyeing Chesapeakeman, then it got bought and well... issues. I left the scene, now I'm back and got all excited to finally go up to do Musselman with friends who always do it, next year. It gets bought out. Scheduling and costs make IMMD 2020 look like my best bet, and now I wonder if it will even happen.

Please, no one touch Savageman. I need it to exist in 2021 when I MIGHT be ready to attempt those climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that delmo has wanted the 140.6 since it went to IM. I did the challenge race the first year, it was decent, the swim was rough cause of the tides (treadmill buoy), I actually liked the bike course (the second lap got a little quiet, but the first lap through hammandton was great but slightly underwhelming). riding on the xpressway was cool, but riding past all of the cars stuck in traffic made me question if people were really going to support it. I hated the 4 loops of the run, but I understand why it was that way (waterstops, number of volunteers, etc)

If I remember there was only 1 bridge from AC into the mainland that avoided RR crossings, and that was the biggest issue with the bike course.

Best part was the awards breakfast put on by the host hotel the morning after. They must of lost a ton of money feeding that many triathletes at the buffet. I know that I had at least one plate of just bacon...

Wasn't it Full with challenge for 2 years before he went IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, please don't want to race Eagleman! haha IMMD I'd be ok losing but not Eagleman
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Dude, please don't want to race Eagleman! haha IMMD I'd be ok losing but not Eagleman

LMAO - I see what you did there - well, this is an exception. I DNFed it in 2012 and finished it DFL in 2013, so my curse appears to have no effect on Eagleman.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [swimbikerungal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so I finally read the actual post...... and this excerpt tells me it is definitely bigger than a half marathon announcement, even if it is with a big headlining act as the rumor I heard goes....... I mean, Steve is a great PR guy and engaged in social media but he isn't known for overstating or overselling. If he says biggest announcement of our career, I am hyped for something more than a 70.3 back in Princeton or a lateral move to help run an existing race. I know where I'll be at 11am tomorrow!

"On Wednesday, July 31, at 11am, in Atlantic City, DelMoSports will be making the biggest announcement of our career. This announcement will be the culmination of YEARS of mistakes, failures, triumphs, heartache, hugs, sweat, tears, and even a little blood. But it's also the culmination of NEVER quitting, NEVER giving in, NEVER taking no for a final answer,"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AirWeaver wrote:
OK so I finally read the actual post...... and this excerpt tells me it is definitely bigger than a half marathon announcement, even if it is with a big headlining act as the rumor I heard goes....... I mean, Steve is a great PR guy and engaged in social media but he isn't known for overstating or overselling. If he says biggest announcement of our career, I am hyped for something more than a 70.3 back in Princeton or a lateral move to help run an existing race. I know where I'll be at 11am tomorrow!

Yes I am pretty amped about this. Personally I hope it’s not an AC full because I’m just not super into that, but I know others will love it. Guess we will know soon but I can’t wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents, more venues that are alternated. Full in NJ with Eagleman to alternate with IMAC and IMMD.
Surely everyone here (in Philly) knows the Schulykill is unreliable as hell when it comes to scheduling swims (right Jonh Kenny? ). How about the Delaware? Dangerous near Philly but walkable further north, so how about in between? (Jersey side, who'd want to bike Philly riverfront for 112 mi?)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was petty much my view in the inaugural challenge AC full.
Tough swim but everything else went pretty well. Initially I hated the run loops but once out there it was fine.
The finish line was pretty quiet but that was one of very few complaints. Basically they never mentioned my name as their was some confusion with who was finishing.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you read that F-1 document, you realize how important site fees are to the WTC business model. I think Cambridge, MD is one of the communities that really plays ball with WTC. There isn’t much happening around there in late September, so IMMD has to be good for the local economy. Eagleman must be a huge money maker, given its size. I’d be really surprised if MD loses its events.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced it IMMD twice and would strike up great conversations with the Airbnb home owners. The small Cambridge community makes about $40M during IM week. The entire community pretty much volunteers for the event as well.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Jul 30, 19 19:38
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fhirleighinn wrote:
I think that delmo has wanted the 140.6 since it went to IM. I did the challenge race the first year, it was decent, the swim was rough cause of the tides (treadmill buoy), I actually liked the bike course (the second lap got a little quiet, but the first lap through hammandton was great but slightly underwhelming). riding on the xpressway was cool, but riding past all of the cars stuck in traffic made me question if people were really going to support it. I hated the 4 loops of the run, but I understand why it was that way (waterstops, number of volunteers, etc)

If I remember there was only 1 bridge from AC into the mainland that avoided RR crossings, and that was the biggest issue with the bike course.

Best part was the awards breakfast put on by the host hotel the morning after. They must of lost a ton of money feeding that many triathletes at the buffet. I know that I had at least one plate of just bacon...

Wasn't it Full with challenge for 2 years before he went IM?

Yeah, I think he had the full 2 years with the 2nd year he added the half distance. It was my first half distance and then IM took it.

I know that Hammonton really had a problem with the bike course that first year. A large part was because their blueberry festival was that weekend and it absolutely killed traffic in that area.......

So, if we was going to try another full distance, he would have to investigate that original bike course and I guess plan for a weekend it doesn't impact everyone like that.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AirWeaver wrote:
I volunteered at Challenge Atlantic City in 2014. When that only lasted a year and got replaced by IM 70.3 AC, I always wondered if the 140.6 distance would come back later.

Just for the record, Delmo did a full twice. Challenge AC had a full in 2014 and 2015. I did both races. Although the 2015 race had a concurrent half, and only 149 people finished the full, so it was clearly dead.

I would love to see a full come back to AC, and if they were to do it in the early June time frame, it would fill in a gap in the IM race calendar.

That said it could easily also be something like a 5150 in Philly, which I think would be stupid, but is also more likely. But an Ironman Philadelphia would be pretty cool, since I would get to sleep in my own bed.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since Pocono 70.3 and then Rev 3 both died, there hasn't been a branded 1/2 (or full) in PA.
With the amount of triathletes in Philly, plus you would tap into NJ, some NYC, and DC athletes as well, you would think a 70.3 or 140.6 in Eastern Pa or DE would be sustainable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the "tell" is that the announcement will be in Atlantic City. To me this means it's related to IMAC and the obvious thing would be adding the 140.6. Like mentioned above there is a gap in both IM and Delmo calendars for late May/June which would be great.

It could be related to Philly and maybe a 5i50 since Escape (PEM) cancelled that race (and TriRock left before)… but again why not announce in Philly? He didn't announce the Philly women's tri stuff from AC so why do that here? It could also be related to Delmo sports getting more involved in Cambridge events after Gerry's passing (I did see that Delmo had timing equipment out on the Eagleman course back in June so looks like he might have been involved from his event timing DelmoPro group).... but again why announce in AC? Delmo's office isn't in AC so this wouldn't make sense.

We'll all know in 1 hour. I'm betting (hoping) for the full. I just did IM Texas in April and the expense, logistics of traveling with family for another race made me consider focusing on marathon training and taking a break from IM... but an event less than a 2 hour drive on a course I know well.... might bring me back 1 step closer to legacy slot ;-) If it's a full, let's hope they figured out a bike course that's not 5 loops and one that's sustainable for the locals and businesses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
AirWeaver wrote:

Just for the record, Delmo did a full twice. Challenge AC had a full in 2014 and 2015. I did both races. Although the 2015 race had a concurrent half, and only 149 people finished the full, so it was clearly dead.

I would love to see a full come back to AC, and if they were to do it in the early June time frame, it would fill in a gap in the IM race calendar.

That said it could easily also be something like a 5150 in Philly, which I think would be stupid, but is also more likely. But an Ironman Philadelphia would be pretty cool, since I would get to sleep in my own bed.

Didn't the course also change from 2014 to 2015? I don't recall riding through Hammonton as pics from 2014 showed (the Main Street, maybe?). That was a lonely ride for the full, though - got paranoid more than once that I'd taken a wrong turn out there.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
g_lev wrote:
AirWeaver wrote:

Didn't the course also change from 2014 to 2015? I don't recall riding through Hammonton as pics from 2014 showed (the Main Street, maybe?). That was a lonely ride for the full, though - got paranoid more than once that I'd taken a wrong turn out there.

Right. The 2015 version of the bike course went a different route, and it was a single lap, vs trying to do two laps of the half course. It got VERY lonely out there.
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just came across my inbox which is probably a bit of a spoiler: https://www.endurancesportswire.com/...+Weds++7%2F31%2F2019

Quote:
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® announced today that Atlantic City, New Jersey will become the newest destination for the series with the inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll® Atlantic City Half Marathon & 5K event taking place on May 15-16, 2020. This marks the first brand-new Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event in the U.S. since 2015. Bringing the Fun to the Run™ through music, entertainment, and community immersion, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Atlantic City Half Marathon will take place during the twilight evening hours, treating an anticipated 10,000 participants to a one-of-a-kind race experience that highlights the beach and Boardwalk atmosphere. Registration for the 2020 Rock ‘n’ Roll Atlantic City Half Marathon and 5K presented by Brooks will open on Wednesday, August 7, 2019 with further details available at www.runrocknroll.com/AtlanticCity.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: DelMo/IM announcement tease [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and there you have it ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next