Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deer Creek Canyon Co Rest Area
Quote | Reply
In an effort to alleviate one of the most contentious issues between local residents and cyclists, Jefferson County Co
will build a portable toilet about half way up Deer Creek Canyon and High Grade Road. For years locals have considered
the Deer Creek Canyon as their own road, and came close to having it barred to cyclists. Upon their failure, they continued
to complain about cyclists clogging up the road, speeding and of course urinating on their property. (Even though most homes are well
off the side of the road.)
Even though several Cycling groups will maintain the toilets, trust me, the battle will continue, because although some cyclists have of
course, urinated on the side of the road, the main issue is that cyclists are simply using "their" road, period.

http://www.denverpost.com/...l-provide?source=rss
Quote Reply
Re: Deer Creek Canyon Co Rest Area [TriKen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it will probably do very little to quell the tension. There is a portable toilet at the start of the climb by the Lockheed turnoff parking area and at the top of High Grade. People should go there. I ride Deer Creek/High Grade on a regular basis and can say I've never once seen someone urinating on the side of the road. I also usually ride the climb solo and think that decreases conflict.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people need to ride harder the one at top is only an hour away max ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live/ride in the area anymore, but this seems like a welcome addition. I can't imagine it will do much to alleviate the tension between the homeowners and cyclists, but anything helps. You hate to see great mountain roads like this continue to have angry homeowners and drivers on them. Deer creek and high grade are classic climbs on the front range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably won't help - a rider who is unwilling to hold it for the hour or so it takes to get to the Pleasant Park potty, is still going to pee wherever he damn well pleases..

I see a lot of bad cyclist behaviour on that road.. solo at 6am is the best bet to avoid conflict.
Quote Reply