Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
December Swim Challenge!
Quote | Reply
... for the fishies who just haven't gotten enough yet.

This is the story of the December swim challenge:
Last year, the November challenge was such a hit that we just had to extend it another month!!! And since there are at least a couple of us who want another challenge, lets keep the tradition alive with the second annual December swim challenge!!! We can't let the runners and the cyclists have all the fun.

Furthermore, the swim challenges are getting even cooler. New this year: SPREADSHEETS!!! with cheering sections and smiley faces (or frown faces if you're not keeping up).

You know the drill: goal yards/metres for the month, or X swims a week, or a certain time for a given distance - we're flexible. Who's in? I certainly am but I need to decide what my goal yards will be.

Spreadsheet link:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/...5509544873&guest

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 3, 07 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Just coming back from a nasty groin injury. Did my first swim today, 1000 yds easy. I thought swimming was not supposed to hurt your groin, but I am still alittle sore from my slow and steady (and brief) splash.
20,000 is my goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! Just when I thought I might be able to go back to lurker mode!

I'm in. I'll likely set the same goal as I did for November, but before I commit I need to look at my calendar and see if it's feasible. Setting high volume goals for swimming helps me justify not biking and running. :-)

My shoulders and lats are tired from November, so I'm taking a couple of days off before I get started. I'll start on Monday.

Thanks, Tigerchick!
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge! [trigirl125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 20,000. I just hope my hip can recoup before the real basework starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely in, but not sure what the goal should be either. 50k was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I really have nothing else to do but train this month...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are too much. admirable however gluttonous :-)

my plan is run focus now after the big swim month. i'll spend a lot of time in the pool through the winter but generally shorter/harder. guess that mean's Dev's 100 challenge is next up for me.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. I have to decide if I want to do 45000 or 50000. If the pool is open for most of the week that I am visiting my parents for Christmas, I will shoot for 50000. I won't be starting until Monday. My whole upper boday is tired right now. And for some reason, I don't like swimming on the weekends unless I am in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well. 50,000 meters in December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, wanted to do it last year but chickened out. Put me down for 53K. Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge! [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I tried the run challenge, I would wind up stress-fractured.

I'm going to say 100,000 yards for December - in the middle of the month I'm going to the Masters' SCM championship meet at Boston University, which I'm pretty excited about.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, won't be 100k since I'm doing a run focus. I too will have to check out the calendar and figure out a good goal. Maybe 75k? Well, MAYBE 100 again since I'm off after the 11th. I'll have to think about it.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign me up too! I ned to finish at least 20,000 for the month to hit the goal. This will keep me accountable. Let the good times roll.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign me up, I'm in for 24k again. and maybe another 5lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of fun with the November swim challenge, and think I can do it again this month, although I'm focusing more on my running this month as well. Either way, I'll go for 30,000 again this month- and I got 3600 in already this morning at Masters!
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge! [MITriGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get to go to masters practice this morning because I had to work (teaching spin class at our local gym...) I hate to miss Saturday AM workouts.

3,600 scy on my own this afternoon - the pool was 82* and it felt like swimming in bath water. Ugh.

1000+ to warm up
5 x 100 flutter kick on 2:10
10 x 50 dr/sw on :50
5 x 200 pull on 3:00 - 2:34, 2:31, 2:28, 2:27, 2:24
2 x 100 free on 1:30
2 x 100 back on 1:40
2 x 100 free on 1:30

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished November under my goal of 60,000. New pool hours, new bike and being able to run again slowed the swimming down. I am looking for 45,000 in December and at least 4 swims a week to amp up for next year. The program will be for a few 70.3 next year.

2000 today after a 30 mile ride with
4x300
8x100 pull
Not enough time because of a company picnic. It is funny in Florida that is when you have picnics.

2000 for month
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. I did 3800yds in the 3-lane boiling hot gym pool earlier this week, so I made it to masters practice today. I'll hold off on setting a goal as my 6-week-old doesn't allow for it. The NE SCM meet is coming up quick!

4200yd Total

550 Warm-up
16 x 25 on :30 IM order
Main Set
1 x 50 on :50 Stroke
1 x 100 IM on 1:30
1 x 150 Free on 2:00
1 x 200 IM on 3:00
:30 rest
2 x 50 stroke, 2 x 100 IM, 2 x 150 free, 1 x 200 IM
3 x 50 stroke, 3 x 100 IM, 2 x 150 free, 1 x 200 IM
4 x 50 stroke, 3 x 100 IM, 2 x 150 free, 1 x 200 IM
100 WarmDown

IM just hurts. 50s were fly going 30-31s. 100s were 1:10-11, 150s 1:35-38, 200IMs 2:23s

I should be doing the run focus, but I'm still a swimmer at heart ;)
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge! [pswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
NE SCM meet is coming up quick![/quote]
Though not quickly enough. I'm done school on Thursday the 13th (skipping Friday's class so we can drive to Boston that day, the 800m free is Friday evening). Are you going to the meet too? I'd love to meet you "for real" if you are.

Nice workout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, this really is going to be my swim focus month. I'll double last month's goal (which I was one workout short of meeting) and go for 30,000 for December. Scheduling will be tricky the last few weeks with holiday travel, but I'll do my best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 40,000 yds. Completed 2,000 today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, my fishie friends ---

kevinp01 set up a new spreadsheet for us. It is a "tab" tucked behind the November spreadsheet. I've put everyone's name and goal that's replied to the thread so far - link is here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/...5509544873&guest

Click on "December 07" at the bottom.

Thanks, Kevin!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, I was just going to put it on this thread as well, no sweat, I'm just procrastinating becuase I don't want to study anymore but I have a final tomorrow! Yeesh!
Okay, back to the books.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for 60,000 yds. I have never attempted a swim challege before but I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45,000 yards.

In peace,
CQ

Quote | Reply
[reply]... for the fishies who just haven't gotten enough yet.

This is the story of the December swim challenge:
Last year, the November challenge was such a hit that we just had to extend it another month!!! And since there are at least a couple of us who want another challenge, lets keep the tradition alive with the second annual December swim challenge!!! We can't let the runners and the cyclists have all the fun.

Furthermore, the swim challenges are getting even cooler. New this year: SPREADSHEETS!!! with cheering sections and smiley faces (or frown faces if you're not keeping up).

You know the drill: goal yards/metres for the month, or X swims a week, or a certain time for a given distance - we're flexible. Who's in? I certainly am but I need to decide what my goal yards will be.

p.s. brownie points if someone will create another spreadsheet... I don't know how to do it[/reply]

All I have is a Vasa Ergometer to train on. No pool access. Can I set a number of hours goal?

Quote Reply

Prev Next