Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Death of a friend-slightly OT
Quote | Reply
Last weekend was my 25 year reunion high school reunion near Spokane, Washington. Unfortunately I couldn't make it because I'm flying up next month for IMCDA. One of my classmates, Eric Molstead from Portland, Oregon flew his plane to the reunion. On his way back to Portland he crashed and died just short of the airport.

Needless to say our class was devastated. I remember Eric as a plane enthusiast while in school. He would carve his own designs from Balsa wood, paint them, mount an engine and fly them. He later became an airplane mechanic. The cause of the crash is not yet known.

Many people will say at least he died doing what he loved. And I think this is true. I read a quote from the book "Flyboys" where Dolittle says if he died at 40 living his life as a pilot he'd have felt like he had a full life.

I love triathlons and biking but I really don't want my obit to say I died while riding (unless I'm about 100 years old at the time). At the same time, I realize life is full of risk and to shy away from them diminishes us.

Life is precious.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of a friend-slightly OT [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't really understand the fixation some people seem to have with whatever activity they want to be doing when they die. "I want to go out on my bike," or whatever. To me, it's fairly inconsequential. What matters is everything else you've done up til that point.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your friend. It does make you reflect a lot on the person doesn't it? Honestly, I want to go quickly, but to have it a little more together before I go ... Anyway, my dad's best friend died when he wrecked his trick plane in front of his family. Killed a passenger too. Awful, yes, but in some ways it fit that guy. And it beats some other alternatives ... Alas, we usually don't get to decide: Solo Dios sabe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always bought into that idea, that "at least he died doing what he loved." But not any more.

On Sunday, a guy I used to skydive with died in a skydiving accident. His daughter, also a skydiver, was quoted in his obit in today's paper saying "he died doing what he loved." That didn't make it any better for me. I don't want to die doing anything as long as it leaves my children without their daddy...
Quote Reply
Re: Death of a friend-slightly OT [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kinda with you on this one. I guess it comes down to what is acceptable risk.

I would never do extreme/dangerous sports because I have a wife and two kids who need me (hopefully). Yet everytime I get on the bike I wonder if it will be my last. I don't dwell on it, but the thought invariably crosses my mind. However, I know I would enjoy life less if I couldn't ride so I deem it an acceptable risk and do everything I can to decrease those risks. After that, it's not really up to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of a friend-slightly OT [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your friend, trifan.

Vitus, I generally agree with you, with the possible exception being that to die with honor on the battlefield in defense of all that you hold dear would be a good way to die, but that's probably just my samurai delusion taking hold.

How you live your life every moment, and how you treat those around you, is of ultimate importance. Given that, I think that many people take solace in thinking that someone they care about died while doing something that made them happy. I think of it as roughly the equivalent of when someone tells you, "He is with God now." It's something to hold on to.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply