Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Death at Key West triathlon
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there is a report of an on course fatality. A woman was struck by a driver at a crossing on the bike course.

The poster also mentions a high speed chase at a half marathon that same morning on another Florida Key. Wtf is going on?

https://www.reddit.com/...iathlon/s/A0cIdTsgaA[/url]
Last edited by: BuildingSpeed: Dec 15, 23 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
Sounds like there is a report of an on course fatality. A woman was struck by a driver at a crossing on the bike course.

The poster also mentions a high speed chase at a half marathon that same morning on another Florida Key. Wtf is going on?

https://www.reddit.com/...iathlon/s/A0cIdTsgaA[/url]

What a mess. Was the high speed chase at the half marathon the chase pack reeling in a Kenyan?
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done an unbranded tri in Florida and was shocked usatf sanctioned event allowed cars on the course, you even had to obey traffic signals. That's not racing that's a touring event
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Key West tri and though I didn't see what happened, I thought it was safe and well run event. An entire half of A1A (the north-south highway) was shut down for the bike. I'd suspect that what happened here was a driver ignoring the directions of a course marshal or police officer.

My condolences to the family and friends of the woman who lost her life.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I have done an unbranded tri in Florida and was shocked usatf sanctioned event allowed cars on the course, you even had to obey traffic signals. That's not racing that's a touring event

I might be reading this wrong, however, almost all the local races (USAT sanctioned) I have done are open courses, with cops at key intersections to try to avoid crashes there. Closed courses are great, but they are a luxury.
Last edited by: Stva: Dec 20, 23 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't ever do the NC Beaverdam tri/du again. It should be a great event. Friendly, staffing good, etc.... But they funnel the olympic and duathlon folks on the bike leg back onto for what at that time of the day is a SUPER busy high speed limit two lane road.

I won the du, but I lost a couple minutes the last mile into the park being stuck in car traffic owning my lane while they're waiting for short course triathlon folks going maybe 18mph downhill and it's causing a traffic/safety nightmare.

They DID have cops and folks at intersections, but that part of it wasn't super well thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at Key West triathlon [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stva wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I might be reading this wrong, however, almost all the local races (USAT sanctioned) I have done are open courses, with cops at key intersections to try to avoid crashes there. Closed courses are great, but they are a luxury.

yes most other races I do have cops at intersections with lights turned to flashing red, giving priority to racers who can go through the red light. Cars only allowed to pass if clear and waved through my police. The one I did in FL, had fully operating normal signal, where if it hit red, you had to stop and wait for cars to cross.
Quote Reply