Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [zdesmond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zdesmond wrote:
I understand your point, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Serious or not it is still a hobby. I don't like the idea of cheating at all and I really wish that no one would do it. I just don't see how having amateurs submit their location to USADA every single day of the year is acceptable to anyone. I was on vacation a month ago. My itinerary was flexible. I didn't know where I was going to be one day to the next and I had no cell phone coverage or access to the internet. Miss a few tests than I am labelled a cheater. Maybe not a big deal, but if you google me all of a sudden that is there for posterity. That can have a significant impact on someone's life and career. Is that what we want for amateurs?

Beyond that, let's look at the responsibility of what you can and can't put into your body. Dev Paul has a post a few above this talking about that. I really don't think its fair to expect amateurs to be familiar with the list. Most of us know we aren't cheating and take comfort in that. "Test me? Sure, I'm cool." Then the results come back and I get nailed because I took Sudafed a few days before the test. USADA has a strict liability standard. Boom. Now I'm sanctioned publicly and have to deal with that fall out. I may be anonymous to 99.999% of the population, but the people in my life are going to know all about it. It's one thing if the list is no EPO or anabolic steroids or HGH or whatever the other big stuff is, but when the list is expanded way beyond that it is putting an onus on people that really shouldn't be present just because someone wants to go out and run a 10K to see if they can go 35 minutes or not.

This discussion is mostly academic as the resources just aren't there for this to become a reality. Think how many people do triathlon and then think how many run and cycle and play basketball and soccer, etc. Here's a link to just the NGBs: http://www.usada.org/resources/links/ngbs . USADA just doesn't have the resources to deal with the number of people.

I think not knowing what you put in your body is lazy. the DRO is easy to use. Every medicine you take should be checked against it, it's simple, and if you're racing you're already eligible to be tested. And im not talking about putting the onus on USADA. if the NGOs are paying for it through dues and race directors through fees, testing a couple hundred people per year is not that much of an effort. If you're racing as an all american level triathlete, you already know whats in your body. Being used as a testing agency USADA could easily hire the people needed to capture the tests.

And if you ask if thats what we want for amateurs, the answer is yes. We want the top of the sport amateurs to be held accountable.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So you do not support the list of drugs on WADA? You are saying some of them do not improve performance or mask drugs? And for me, there is the issue. There is always this excuse that each person thinks this set of DRUGS is okay for whatever reason. Bottom line we have a set of rules. We have a set of illegal drugs. If one can talk there way around these, then why even talk about little things like drafting.

Nothing will ever ever change. When you really read between the lines of most folks posts, the real truth comes out.

Even today you have to take a drug test at most companies. And yep, some of the drugs on the WADA list that some think are okay to use will not get you that job.

Some of us are not talking our way around these. Slowman would like to see pot and other similar things removed, I however would not. I would say they should specify that some drugs are not performance enhancing but are on the list for safety purposes, but they should still be on the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
So you do not support the list of drugs on WADA? You are saying some of them do not improve performance or mask drugs? And for me, there is the issue. There is always this excuse that each person thinks this set of DRUGS is okay for whatever reason. Bottom line we have a set of rules. We have a set of illegal drugs. If one can talk there way around these, then why even talk about little things like drafting.

Nothing will ever ever change. When you really read between the lines of most folks posts, the real truth comes out.

Even today you have to take a drug test at most companies. And yep, some of the drugs on the WADA list that some think are okay to use will not get you that job.

Some of us are not talking our way around these. Slowman would like to see pot and other similar things removed, I however would not. I would say they should specify that some drugs are not performance enhancing but are on the list for safety purposes, but they should still be on the list.

Then you need to ban alcohol and tobacco as well then. Along with a host of other substances that could be harmful. Banning pot is stupid and is nothing but an attempt to moralize. We're talking about performance enhancers not someones personal life choices that don't affect competition. Leave that up to the misguided politicians. I totally agree with what you wrote in the post above this one but when you have an institution trying to dictate morality there is a problem with that.

Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Campbell's Phenomenon - When a poster in an Internet Forum thread starts trolling the thread by replying to everyone, effectively ending all meaningful discussion.

It's nice to know you think I'm phenomenal. I'll mark this day in the memoirs.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
pick6 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Then you need to ban alcohol and tobacco as well then. Along with a host of other substances that could be harmful. Banning pot is stupid and is nothing but an attempt to moralize. We're talking about performance enhancers not someones personal life choices that don't affect competition. Leave that up to the misguided politicians. I totally agree with what you wrote in the post above this one but when you have an institution trying to dictate morality there is a problem with that.

Hang on, Im not talking about morality; Im talking about safety to other riders on the course. Pot absolutely diminishes reaction time, and I don't want to be going into a tight turn on a bike course with someone under the influence of pot. Being on the course under the influence of alcohol should also be prohibited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

That is the point. It really does not matter why something is on the list. The "business" decided these where the rules they wanted, and what drugs were illegal. No one makes a person shop at a business. It is by choice. So if you do not like the rules, find another game to play.

Yes, it is very clear for some folks what their personal beliefs are. I find it hard when a person says at times things need to be followed to a tee, but then at other times but I do not like this drug that is illegal on the list.
And I just smile when some get real real upset when I say weed is illegal, not just for WADA, but our country. And as fair as I am concerned, breaking the law for weed, or EPO is no different if and only if you believe rules are there for a reason. Top drugs, or drugs only for performance, etc. just shows why nothing will ever happen on this issue. Too many make it personal to their lifestyle and values, rather than the
black and white of the issue.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you honestly think that any elite athlete is going to be smoking pot right before a race or that that is the actual reason for the prohibition then I worry about your thought process. It is nothing but a morality play and if you are going to make the argument that it is a danger then you need to start a crusade to put alcohol on the banned list. There is no difference between the two in their potential to harm based on your argument.

Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Too many make it personal to their lifestyle and values, rather than the black and white of the issue. .

Another nice sideways veiled insinuation that Trav must smoke pot since he advocates taking it off the WADA list.

And your argument doesn't hold water. There are many countries where marijuana use is legal. Last I checked, WADA was "World", so if it's not performance enhancing, and some countries it's legal to use, why the big stink about someone thinking maybe it doesn't belong on a banned list?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Too many make it personal to their lifestyle and values, rather than the black and white of the issue. .

Another nice sideways veiled insinuation that Trav must smoke pot since he advocates taking it off the WADA list.

And your argument doesn't hold water. There are many countries where marijuana use is legal. Last I checked, WADA was "World", so if it's not performance enhancing, and some countries it's legal to use, why the big stink about someone thinking maybe it doesn't belong on a banned list?

John

Aghhhhh, don't respond to him. Remember the pact. I bet it would drive him crazy to know that pot smoking disgusts me but I'm still able to argue for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Aghhhhh, don't respond to him. Remember the pact. I bet it would drive him crazy to know that pot smoking disgusts me but I'm still able to argue for it.

Damnit. Suckered again. I guess I'm just in a contentious mood today.
John

Quote Reply
Re: Death Threats to Tygart [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've almost cracked a few times. I have to beat my head against the wall instead. Although at the rate Dan is banning people there might not be anyone left.