Prev Next
Deal alert - Form goggles = $179
Quote | Reply
Kona special,, 6 days. Normally $250+
Last edited by: synthetic: Oct 10, 23 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arg... I was planning to wait until black friday to see what they hit us with. Think I'll still wait though.

I tested these at AG nats, and I'm still a little skeptical, but I did have the feeling that it could help me to not get bored and settle into a long easy stroke rate during my swims and give me a number to focus on and just see my stroke rate in front of my face.
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Arg... I was planning to wait until black friday to see what they hit us with. Think I'll still wait though.

I tested these at AG nats, and I'm still a little skeptical, but I did have the feeling that it could help me to not get bored and settle into a long easy stroke rate during my swims and give me a number to focus on and just see my stroke rate in front of my face.

I have a good feeling black friday will not be better than this price, also you do not need to by the subscription anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notices
Post deals and relevant FYI type stuff in here. Have a spare room or bed for a race? A race entry to transfer? If it's not clearly a buy/sell deal, it goes here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lets get philosophical / artistic

what do you think of the way they look? i am quite into the low profile goggles of the arena cobra at the moment. i wore swedes for a few year before that. but back in the 80s they wore massive face mask style goggles. why are big glasses cool in cycling but big goggles are not cool in swimming? is it because all the top swimmers do not wear big goggles anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
lets get philosophical / artistic

what do you think of the way they look? i am quite into the low profile goggles of the arena cobra at the moment. i wore swedes for a few year before that. but back in the 80s they wore massive face mask style goggles. why are big glasses cool in cycling but big goggles are not cool in swimming? is it because all the top swimmers do not wear big goggles anymore?

I also use the arena cobras and love them and race in them. The form goggles look chunkier in pictures than in real life. I was in the open water when I tested them, which was a little more choppy, but I didn't notice any weighty drag on my face in that case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use them in the pool. If I do a stroke like fly, they come off, so I would be afraid to use in open water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting how styles come and go. do the form fog much? the arena cobra is the best goggle i have had in that respect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had mind for a couple of years now. Zero fogging for me. Never touched the insides and just soak them in soapy water when I get home.

Tempted to buy another pair as for 12mths the new googles are free

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did swimmers wear big goggles? I've been swimming competitively since 1980, and I don't remember one time that any serious swimmer wore big goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deal Alert!
Swedish Goggles still only $4.99 and no subscription or electronics required!

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Deal Alert!
Swedish Goggles still only $4.99 and no subscription or electronics required!

no more subscription required. sounds like you havent tried them
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not a goggle historian but vlad salnikpv had big goggles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love them. Use them only in the pool as my preferred open water goggles are photochromic. No problem with fogging or leaking. Many great work outs and training plans available, and very good swim/stroke analysis in the app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of these about a month and a half ago after swimming for a couple decades in Speedo Vanquishers. They fit similarly, I just found that I have to tighten them a bit more than Vanquishers. I haven't had any issues with fogging. I only use them in the pool. I swim throughout the summer alone as our masters group only goes Oct-June and is only 2x per week. I really, really enjoy using these for the programmed workouts when I am swimming alone. Super easy to use and they just work.

Now that masters swimming has started again I like using them to log workouts (records all data without any effort). One of the coolest things is that the feedback that I get from the googles often aligns with the feedback that I get from the coach on deck, which to me gives me confidence in both the Form goggles and the coach.

Overall a great product in my opinion and worth the money- especially this sale price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I only use them in the pool. If I do a stroke like fly, they come off, so I would be afraid to use in open water

So many people rave about how great they are in the pool, but aren't interested in open water.

My experience is the exact opposite -- pretty bad pool experience, but super useful in open water. I _only_ wear them for races.

The main issue in the pool for me is that they are so chunky and have so much drag, during strong pushoffs from the wall they get torqued enough to unseal and water leaks in. It's only an issue for me during turns, I'm not going fast enough for it to be a problem during steady-state swimming. I've tried tightening them and adjusting the fit all sorts of ways but it still happens. And I'm already wearing a watch, that records everything fine and I can easily peek at it underwater during turns to get a check on pace or lap count. Admittedly not quite as nice as an in-eye display, but it's enough for me.

In open water there are no wall turns, so I don't have the leakage issue and I don't have a good opportunity to peek at my watch for stats. Having my HR, total distance, and avg pace visible at all times during a race is super nice.

I really wish they would expose a "current pace", "last 25y pace", "10s pace" (something like that) metric for open water.
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Arena Cobra user here and love them.

@vonschnapps - what photochromic goggles are you using? I love my photochromic ski goggles and didn’t realize there were swim goggles available with that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [thin_concrete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thin_concrete wrote:
Another Arena Cobra user here and love them.

@vonschnapps - what photochromic goggles are you using? I love my photochromic ski goggles and didn’t realize there were swim goggles available with that too.

AquaSphere, bought them a few years ago and they are great in most conditions (dark and rainy would be the exception).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously considering purchasing a pair because I’m not very good on my swim pacing.

Has you (anyone reading this) stopped using theirs? If so, why?

If you’ve had them for more than the first year, are you still using a subscription?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Seriously considering purchasing a pair because I’m not very good on my swim pacing.

Has you (anyone reading this) stopped using theirs? If so, why?

If you’ve had them for more than the first year, are you still using a subscription?

just a reminder, you do not need a subscription anymore!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done 180 workouts with them and wear em for races. There are def things I’d like to see improved, but the good far outweighs the bad. Seeing splits, tracking laps, guiding me through my workout all are things that just let me focus on getting better at swimming. If you’ve been swimming your whole life meh may not have as much value but for a late onset swimmer I find them invaluable.
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I decided to go ahead and buy them. Since there’s a 30-day trial I can return them if I find I don’t like them. But I think I’ll like them.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call.

As was mentioned by someone else the thing that you may need to adjust to is lifting your head slightly when you kick off the wall. If my head is tilted to far down they have enough surface area ,especially display side) that the force can unseal them. I don’t adjust my head tilt much and now it only happens once every couple hundred lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased these when they went on sale, I had $100 amazon gift card, so around $80 total...did my first swim with them today. gamechanger. highly recommend.

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Deal alert - Form goggles = $179 [latkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you.

I don't use mine in races, but I do in OWS practice. I love them, both in the pool and out. Changed swimming for me. Still don't love it, but I hate it way less.

I even have a subscription now, after initially thinking it was crazy. I don't need to wax on, but I'll just say I'm a fan of that too. It's helped me.

Discourse: I did get a free subscription from them. But when that ends I'll just buy it if they find me unworthy to continue, haha.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply

Prev Next