Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dead Tired after Long Week - Normal?
Quote | Reply
I'm in training for the Portland Marathon and things are looking great so far. I'm progressing much better this year than when training for the Seattle Marathon last year.

Now to the point. Last week was my long week of 50 miles, which consisted of the following:
Mon: Bike 60minutes (on the trainer - new bike is in the mail)
Tues: Run Easy 5miles
Wed: Run Medium 10miles
Thurs: Run Easy 5miles
Fri: Rest
Sat: Run Negative Split 10miles
Sun: Run Marathon Pace +:30-1:30/mi 20miles

I felt extremely tired, but good after last week. As this week progresses though I am feeling more and more tired. I increased my caloric intake to avoid starving myself during the latter part of last week and through the early part of this week. I even had Mexican Food with lots of tortilla chips and then Ben & Jerry's as a "present" to myself. I've returned to my normal training diet, but this week I'm still feeling completely fried. I was hoping I'd be starting to feel better 3-4 days after my long week.

This weeks plan:
Mon: Bike 60minutes (on the trainer - new bike is in the mail)
Tues: Run Easy 5miles
Wed: Run Easy/Medium 6miles
Thurs: Run Moderate 5miles
Fri: Rest
Sat: Run Moderate 6miles
Sun: Run Marathon Pace +1:00-1:30/mi 12miles

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help? I've tried to get the same amount of sleep and even slept in this morning an hour or two to get more "rest." Or do I just need to let the week take it's course?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Dead Tired after Long Week - Normal? [Simple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know after a couple of really long weeks work and training I need to shut it down for 2-3 days. I might ride for an easy hour then run an easy 5k the next day. I've been know to take an extra day off if truly needed. One thing I've started doing is taking a short 30min rest when I get home. Set the alarm and lay down. Sometimes I sleep sometimes I don't. It's too freaking hot to run before 6 -6:15pm here anyway.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Dead Tired after Long Week - Normal? [Simple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get the logic of a fast run on Sat. and LSD on Sun. Also, what do you hope to acheive on your Tues, Wed, and Thurs runs? I really had a training breakthrough when I began to require myself to justify every workout.

Why don't you opt for something like:
Mon - bike active recovery
T - 10 mile neg. split
W - 1 hour run easy pace, 1 hour swim workout
R - Speedwork (keep this appropriate for the distance)
F - 1 hour run easy pace, 1 hour swim workout
Sat - rest or bike
Sun - LSD
Quote Reply
Re: Dead Tired after Long Week - Normal? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend and I are following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II Marathon Training Plan. I've seen vast improvements in my speed, my endurance and keeping a strong aerobic pace for my long runs. So far it's been a huge success for me personally.

You can find out more here - http://www.halhigdon.com/...ar00intermediate.htm
Quote Reply