Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of?
Quote | Reply
Some odd thing happened to me when I realized last year that this year would be my 40th birthday; I decided to do a half. I am a Clydesdale weight racer who has only done sprints for five years. I have done a few half marathons and a few metric century rides, I can swim... it aint pretty but I can propel myself through the water. We hired a coach, we have stuck to the plan, and now I am a day away from flying to Cozumel to attempt my first HIM. I just know there are things I am not considering. So I look to the hive brain for any assistance that may be offered. Let loose! And wish me luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [N8dawgbu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget to have fun
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [N8dawgbu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to shout 'on your left' as you pass other riders...
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

I love your optimism! 😜
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Don’t forget to have fun

I've never understood that oft repeated phrase.

I love the sport, but it's not fun. Fun is doing coke with a bunch of strippers not doing 4 1/2 hours of excercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N8dawgbu wrote:
Some odd thing happened to me when I realized last year that this year would be my 40th birthday; I decided to do a half. I am a Clydesdale weight racer who has only done sprints for five years. I have done a few half marathons and a few metric century rides, I can swim... it aint pretty but I can propel myself through the water. We hired a coach, we have stuck to the plan, and now I am a day away from flying to Cozumel to attempt my first HIM. I just know there are things I am not considering. So I look to the hive brain for any assistance that may be offered. Let loose! And wish me luck!

Write down a checklist, double-check with your coach that it covers everything and then tick everything off on race day. Once that's done, relax. No checklist, you'll be thinking you've forgotten something.

Maybe come up with your own list, post it and people will let you know if you're missing anything.
-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to thank the volunteers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take in the experience. You only lose your virginity once. Some of it can suck but overall it should be a great experience. So take everything in. Travel. Being surrounded by other athletes. Bike check-in. The race morning set up. The spectators. Everything. I still enjoy all of the little things about just getting to the point where you start to race.

Also, as a Clydesdale in Mexico I assume you have a plan for the heat. If not, make one.

Remember you can always slow down if things get bad but don’t stop moving (unless it’s medical of course). Keep going even if you need to walk a bit. Be flexible when you need to be.

Thank the volunteers and buy something nice to thank your family/sherpas/whatever.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the heat plan is hydrate, fuel and take it at a slow pace. I live in Oklahoma, so I have had the heat all summer, though the last two weeks have been an unusual cold snap with only intermittent heat. It definitely took some work to slow down my bike pace so that I would not bonk. Also concerted effort to learn to be consistent on fueling and hydrating, but I think I have my plan down. Now let’s hope all goes according to it!
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFigawi wrote:
Don't forget to thank the volunteers

Absolutely! I made sure I thanked almost everything singe person I came in contact with. I did my first 70.3 a couple weeks ago at 49 yrs old. It was also my first tri, it was also my first anything no 1/2 marathons no 5ks nothing.

For me the checklist is big. Also know your pace as I went a bit hard at the start of the swim...and bike....and run

Im assuming you'll be BOP like me so people aren't as "intense" so I made conversations with people on the bike and run and people seemed to appreciate it and it helped me mentally. Definitely make sure you hydrate and take proper nutrition on the bike. Also I didn't walk at all during the run EXCEPT aid stations. I tried to run through my first aid station and it was "hilarious" I doused myself with all sorts of liquids (unintentionally :) ) and I found the 5-10 second "breaks" helped me

And yes its a long day so enjoy it. Look around appreciate the scenery. Revel in your accomplishment.

Good luck!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N8dawgbu wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

I love your optimism! 😜

Put an old fashion bell on your bike

Ring it and call out the racers name as they pass and say GOOD JOB! or keep going only 50 miles more!

Their name will be on their race number.

The happy and fun reactions of your fellow racers is a real joy. Lots of laughs and thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre race - figure out what is your "go to" method of keeping yourself calm without messing up your race. For example - periodically reviewing completed checklist while chilling out - good. Undertaking a complete bike tear down and rebuild in your hotel room - bad ;-)

During the race - if you are stepping up from sprints to a half, it can feel like you are out there forever, like at some point you don't remember starting because it was so long ago and you still have a couple hours to go. Don't be intimidated by the distance/time. Just keep going!
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite HIM advice- "sure, it's a half marathon. But it's the second half" ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Days away from my first 70.3. What am I forgetting that I need to think of? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Pre race - figure out what is your "go to" method of keeping yourself calm without messing up your race. For example - periodically reviewing completed checklist while chilling out - good. Undertaking a complete bike tear down and rebuild in your hotel room - bad ;-)
!

Haha, excellent advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure your passport is up to date. Seems obvious, but it's one of those things that can ruin the whole plan (and has for some I know). Best of luck!
Last edited by: JRTX: Sep 27, 18 8:22
Quote Reply