Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon
Quote | Reply
In the AZ Republic last Friday Faris Al-Sultan Said "Oh yeah, I like everything...Taco Bell, Burger King, Cinnabon, I eat it all." Sounds like a breath of fresh air in a sport somewhat lacking in real characters.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate cottage cheese.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave said he tried rinsing his cottage cheese once, it tasted like cardboard, and never did it again. although i don't think he ran out to taco bell afterward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the AZ Republic last Friday Faris Al-Sultan Said "Oh yeah, I like everything...Taco Bell, Burger King, Cinnabon, I eat it all." Sounds like a breath of fresh air in a sport somewhat lacking in real characters.
Thank god! I was beginning to think I was not fitting in. One thing I have not been willing to change is my quest for the burger, the milkshake, the chocolate bar and the Cinnabon.

Quote | Reply
Sure he "likes" it, doesn't mean he eats it... If you believe he regularly eats that crap, I'm sure Faris has a bridge he would sell you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read an interview with him where he bashed on all the triathletes for being obssessed. He said he takes a few months off each year and doesn't even think about triathlon. He said living like Normann Stadler and each day wake up and think about Hawaii is unimaginable for him.

Go figure.

I'm going to eat a cinnabon of my own =P
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you believe he regularly eats that crap, I'm sure Faris has a bridge he would sell you.

I don't know how "regularly" regularly is supposed to be, but I don't see any reason not to believe it. How much do you think it would really affect his performance?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to find a cinnabon on my way home from any race I have to travel to.....mmmmmmmm. I also try to make it a point of having ice cream several days a week. I just cut down on the serving size during the race season.

Personally, I think people should eat what makes them happy...as long as it's in moderation. I can't imagine I'd be very happy eating "healthy" all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
In Reply To
Thank god! I was beginning to think I was not fitting in. One thing I have not been willing to change is my quest for the burger, the milkshake, the chocolate bar and the Cinnabon. [/reply]

I hope that your quest for a good burger doesn't take you to Buger King. Those are NOT bugers! Eating at a place like that is just not worth the calories! If you want a burger, buy some nice lean ground beef, fire up the grill, cook it to your liking, get a nice hearty bun/roll, dress it as you like, and enjoy. Those thin little pieces of mystery meat from fast food joints will never count as a burger in my book.

Sorry for the rant!

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crash Davis (Bull Durham):

"Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."

When Faris wins six in the show. I'll follow his diet plan. Until then I'll listen to what Dave has to say. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a 700 calorie sugar-bomb of a recovery snack, probably 15-20 grams of fat... how could it NOT affect performance. I bet he "regularly" eats them after he finishes or wins an IM, but not when he's training for one.

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that's one picture that needs to be in the Hottie thread!! Seriously though given the number of calories that a top IM pro burns in training I can't see a cinnabon or two a week hurting you. You have to eat "good" food other wise, but fat and empty calories in addition to a good diet isn't going to hurt you. Whenever i go into a hardcore healthfood store (not a GNC or bodybuilder place) I'm always amazed by how unhealthy the workers/patrons look.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how could it NOT affect performance.

How WOULD it?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday afternoon Faris was eating at Taco del Mar (or whatever that place is called). Good, cheap Mexican food, the lunch of champions. I can confirm the good and cheap since we ate there twice on Saturday.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing an IM coverage YEARS ago where it showed DS rinsing the cottage cheese...

And all I could think of is "if it matters THAT much to him, why is he even EATING cottage cheese?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Faris doesn't give a shit about his long term health but Dave does.... big deal.

What's your point? That to be a "real character" you have to eat shit?
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly Paula Newby Fraser had one of the best IMH performances on pre-race pizza (& beers?). I heard her on a radio interview a couple of years back talking about how she loved put away the donuts and pizza and all types of foods. All the training and racing allowed her to eat what she wanted.

To each his/her own, I guess.

Tom

Embrace the suck--Anon.

Eagles Race Team--Napa CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the guy doesn't eat one with every meal...but I can't imagine stressing over every single calorie that goes into your body is very "healthy" either. I see no problem with having yummie "unhealthy" snacks when you're in the mood. Fat isn't a bad thing to eat. In fact, one might say it's necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I'll bite. No I am not a nutritionist, but I am going to go with my Spidey-sense here & say that, and you can quote me on this, I believe that a diet that contains regular portions of Cinnabon - high in sugar, high in fat and low in (if not totally devoid of any) nutrition, is going to sabotage your training. I am sure there are many people out there who want desperately to believe that it's 'OK' and even "healthy" to eat these tasty things regularly, but I tell you these are pipe-dreams.

My proof? Go to your local mall, take a look at the people in line at Cinnabon. Guaranteed none of them resemble Faris al Sultan in the least bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used to be on the melbourne uni tri team with mitch anderson, and he told me that he made a very particular point of having at least one beer every night when he was in training. doesn't seem to hurt him too much.

-mike

p.s - i cocked it up at ontario champs in '99 and had my beer before the race. and got a flat.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that a diet that contains regular portions of Cinnabon - high in sugar, high in fat and low in (if not totally devoid of any) nutrition, is going to sabotage your training.

Frankly, I don't think there's any reason to believe that. Except a sort of snobbish attitude about junk food in general.

My proof? Go to your local mall, take a look at the people in line at Cinnabon. Guaranteed none of them resemble Faris al Sultan in the least bit.

How much training do you figure they do?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Except a sort of snobbish attitude about junk food in general"

You don't think the food you eat affects you? Do you think Americans are fat just because they don't exercise? Heck I will admit, you could be right. But I'm not going to risk it. I recommend you start eating Cinnabon, Taco Bell & Burger King exclusively over the next year & report your race results back here, so we can benefit from your point of view.

You should read this while you're on your trainer: http://www.amazon.com/...s=books&n=507846
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott rinses his cottage cheese...Faris Al-Sultan eats at Cinnabon [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real meat of it is how much you care. If you've contemplated that you will eat two cinnabons a week then you care enough to contemplate how many cinnabons you eat a week. And the fact remains, if you have a shitty season, you are probably going to think that those cinnabons might be to blame. The guy in line at the mall doesn't care. He just eats whatever he eats when he's hungry.

I think Dave's philosophy was (and I whole heartily agree with him) that if what he ate mad him feel like shit then he wouldn't eat it again and after a few years and a bunch of IMH wins, he had himself a diet. It seems as though Faris is taking a similar approach.

/kurt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I encourage all males in the 35-39 AG to consume plenty of Cinnabon, beer, pizza and whatever your heart and taste buds desire. There is no conclusive evidence that it adversly affects performance. So please, M35-39'rs, have seconds!

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't think the food you eat affects you? Long term, I don't doubt that it does. But I don't think I've ever seen any actual evidence that a junk food diet (or at least one that includes a good amount of junk food) has any impact at all on athletic performance on people who train a lot. For sure, I've known plenty of people who ate like garbage disposals, and it didn't slow them down any. Maybe twenty years down the road they'll be dead because of their clogged arteries, I don't know- but they weren't any slower in the meantime.

Do you think Americans are fat just because they don't exercise? I think Americans are fat because they take in more calories than they expend. Period.

Quote Reply

Prev Next