Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe people would say that.
But SMART people? ;)

Like the whole process of sticking with froome is 99% of the fatigue load. Coming around him in the final meters is, I think, inconsequential.

Given that there is money, fame, sponsorship exposure, and most important, winning a fucking bike race because you are a fucking bike racer

I think y'all crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7UmvulEh8

but, I could be wrong

rruff wrote:
They are currently training to peak in July. A 100% effort may very well not be advised right now. I've heard several pros say they always hold something back unless they need to win. Big difference between 99% and 100% IMO.

At any rate, even if Contador was going 100% it doesn't mean much at this point.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contador himself doesn't seem to be too concerned with winning at the Dauphine.....(from Velonews interview)

Quote:
Q: Does it mean if Froome won the Dauphiné clearly that will not affect your confidence?
AC: Confidence is a subjective factor and everyone looks at it from their own point of view. Everyone has to draw his own conclusions. Obviously, if you want to have options in the Tour, you have to have a good level in Dauphiné, but it is another thing to win or not. I would have even more questions if I win; because I’ve never done that, and then I will start thinking about if anything would be different in the Tour.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/...#FUobDis0S15FpA2t.99

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
I will say this about Froome and it's something I never, ever though I'd say ... He actually makes me root for the pompous ass that is Contador!!! Somebody in the Peloton I actually like less than Contador ... Never thought that would happen.

What is it you don't like about him? I quite like the guy - bit of a hothead and definitely could do with getting a better PR team around him, but that hotheadedness translates into plenty of aggression on the road which I like. He didn't need to launch all those attacks yesterday, arguably would have been much smarter to keep his cards close to his chest ahead of the TdF and just stick with whatever moves were made. I like that he is tactically naive and just wants to race. Certainly more enjoyable to watch than Wiggins or Evans.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple things I took note of from stage 2. 1) Contador is back and possibly better than ever. His TT is back to where he was before and he has the legs to climb and stick with Froome's accelerations. He has no desire at this to win the Dauphine, just look at the way he was relentlessly staying glued to Froome's wheel. He even almost caused a crash when Froome swung off and Contador followed across. He is reading him and making mental notes, which is what he does and why he is so good tactically. 2) Froome's acceleration out of the saddle with a couple km's to go was insane. Obviously he is on form, but makes me wonder if it may be a tad early. I doubt it since Sky has things down to a T, but does have me asking questions. 3) Nibali has some work to do, but no doubt he will be there. 4) it's going to be a very interesting Tour

Quote | Reply
I just read that the inhaler used by Froom on the 2nd day is being a topic which is odd. I know some people who needs it when they are training because of their asthma but apparently it's being a big deal now with Froome using it before the climbs. It's not a big deal on my POV but maybe it is or should be?
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never really understood the exercise induced asthma. He said He alway takes before a big effort. So, huge efforts alays produce asthma symtoms without meds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that all Contador wants out of the Dauphine is to prove (to himself/team) that he can stick with Froome's accelerations. Nothing more - especially since he doesn't want to with the Daupine so 4 bonus seconds is nothing to him. Right now, the only ones who know if AC had anything left at the end are AC and his team/coaches. I suspect that's how they'd like to keep things.

Also - AC does have a history of 'letting the guy who does all the work up the mountain' get the stage win, especially when it doesn't mean anything to the overall. See 2010 TDF vs Andy Schleck on the Tourmalet.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that stage have a time bonus?

timbasile wrote:
Also - AC does have a history of 'letting the guy who does all the work up the mountain' get the stage win, especially when it doesn't mean anything to the overall. See 2010 TDF vs Andy Schleck on the Tourmalet.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He gifted Tiralongo a stage in the Giro as well. In the 2012 Vuelta, Tiralongo repaid the favor when AC made his winning attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Did that stage have a time bonus?
timbasile wrote:

No - but just as well on this one if he isn't bothered coming 2nd on this race.

I don't think Froome is going to repay him any favours for this stage though.

Edit: Nevermind, just rewatched that stage, and it hardly looked like Contador was letting him win. More like relieved it was over.
Last edited by: timbasile: Jun 10, 14 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I have never really understood the exercise induced asthma. He said He alway takes before a big effort. So, huge efforts alays produce asthma symtoms without meds?

Always? No. Often? For some. Sometimes? Absolutely.

I have it and it is most pronounced in the cold (for me). I have rarely had an issue when it is warm out.....but that doesn't stop me form using my "bong" before exercises and races in the summer.

Back in the day, Rishi Grewal would go out for a warm-up ride specifically designed to trigger an attack. Then once his body worked through it, he was ready to race. If you have ever had an attack of EIA, it can be scary as hell. I can't imagine having to do that before every race.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure but that's the case with a couple of friends of mine. At the track both would be ok doing warmup runs and such but once they push at a certain effort they'll have trouble breathing. One got his inhaler set properly already so a puff a few minutes before those harder efforts prevent any type of attack, but the other one is still a hit and miss, she's still working with the doctor to put the right "stuff" in it. She'll heave and breathe heavy when she hits that certain effort level.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.......Grewal.................I think I have red zinger vhs i need to oull out :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Thanks for the info.......Grewal.................I think I have red zinger vhs i need to oull out :o)

Pssst.....That was Alexi.....Rishi was the mountain biker. Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a good friend that's a pro and struggled with asthma all his life. At Tour of Cali this year it struck on the Big Bear stage when he was contending for top 10 GC. He required medical assistance and they put him in an ambulance. The team Dr and EMTs thought it was severe enough to give him a shot but he said no, because it would put him out of the race. They basically gave him the biggest legal inhaler dose and kept fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeesh....that is some scary schitt. I had one attack on New Year's Day (before I was diagnosed) that had me on the side of the road, gasping for air, about to pass out. NOT fun!!

Reflecting back on this, and the Rishi example I gave above, I am now confused as to why Froome did this. By that stage of the race, if he was going to have an attack, it would have already occurred. It is my understanding (and experience) that EIA hits early in a workout (or race) and once you are past a certain point, you have either had an attack or you won't. So taking a hit 10K form the end of a race should not have really had any effect, I don't think.

And if Froome does not have EIA, there are lots of studies that indicate it does not increase your air passages, it just prevents them from getting inflamed (or, put another way....it doesn't increase the outer diameter of your breathing passages, but prevents the inner diameter from getting smaller).

So other than a placebo effect, I don't know if Froome really got any benefit form this.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Pssst.....That was Alexi.....Rishi was the mountain biker. Wink

thanks....did not know that. Just remember Alexi so thought that was a nickname or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride wrote:
I just read that the inhaler used by Froom on the 2nd day is being a topic which is odd. I know some people who needs it when they are training because of their asthma but apparently it's being a big deal now with Froome using it before the climbs. It's not a big deal on my POV but maybe it is or should be?

Team Sky's attitude toward medication seems to be based on the letter of the anti-doping codes rather than the spirit. A few years back they were injecting Tramadol, won't really discuss noble gas usage, and use inhalers that don't require a TUE. This contrasts with Garmin that seems to uphold the spirit.

Amazing how 2/3s of the peloton has EIA.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Couple of thoughts here....

1. If they don't have EIA, then the inhaler won't help.
  2. We have no idea how prevalent EIA is in the general population. By definition, it is exercise induced. Were I not a cyclist, I never would have known I had EIA because it never would have affected me. So it is not necessarily surprising that EIA is found at a higher % than the general population among atheletes.....who by definition are exercising more.
  3. I'm not certain that 2/3 number is correct....but I know it is a high number.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Couple of thoughts here....

1. If they don't have EIA, then the inhaler won't help.
  2. We have no idea how prevalent EIA is in the general population. By definition, it is exercise induced. Were I not a cyclist, I never would have known I had EIA because it never would have affected me. So it is not necessarily surprising that EIA is found at a higher % than the general population among atheletes.....who by definition are exercising more.
  3. I'm not certain that 2/3 number is correct....but I know it is a high number.

1: It won't help with further bronciodilation, but does act as a stimulant.
2: It's amazing how many pros didn't have EIA until they joined pro teams (evidently being an Olympic-level amateur isn't enough to get EIA). Froome is an exception here.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
flyrunride wrote:

Team Sky's attitude toward medication seems to be based on the letter of the anti-doping codes rather than the spirit. A few years back they were injecting Tramadol, won't really discuss noble gas usage, and use inhalers that don't require a TUE. This contrasts with Garmin that seems to uphold the spirit.

The law is the law. Who are you or me to arbitrarily define some higher standard that is the "spirit of the law"? Caffeine is stimulant and it is legal. Does the spirit of the law demand that they don't drink coffee or espresso?

If it's legal, it's fucking legal. Period.

I hate this kind of jihad/witch hunt mentality about stuff that is legal.

Froome used an inhaler that is purported to be legal. Surely as the leader and stage winner he was drug tested. If the contents are legal his test will come up clean and that is all that matters.

End of story.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Gaimon's book, there's an interesting scene with a team doctor (not Garmin) where he describes basically receiving a bogus diagnosis for EIA. He seemed to assume that it was a matter of course for the team and was apparently surprised to have this pushed on him. Legal, yes. Ethical, no.

Not implying anything about Froome, but it does appear that inhaler use may be common, even for those who have no medical need.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Froome used an inhaler that is purported to be legal.

probably more likely a beard, wouldn't you think?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
Froome used an inhaler that is purported to be legal.

probably more likely a beard, wouldn't you think?

I have no evidence to point me one way or the other. Why should I assume that he doesn't actually have EIA and need the inhaler?

Consider that husbands and wives have been known to cheat on each other. Should I therefore assume that any time I see a man or woman with somebody of the opposite sex who is not their spouse that it is an affair?

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
flyrunride wrote:

The law is the law. Who are you or me to arbitrarily define some higher standard that is the "spirit of the law"? Caffeine is stimulant and it is legal. Does the spirit of the law demand that they don't drink coffee or espresso?

If it's legal, it's fucking legal. Period.

I hate this kind of jihad/witch hunt mentality about stuff that is legal.

Froome used an inhaler that is purported to be legal. Surely as the leader and stage winner he was drug tested. If the contents are legal his test will come up clean and that is all that matters.

End of story.

I'd respect SKY a lot more if they just said that they go as far as the law allows, but instead they tried to position differently, then backtrack and stonewall when what they are doing comes to light. Tramadol is a good example; they still refuse to comment on whether they used it, only that they don't use it currently. They won't say they don't use CO or noble gas to pump up hematocrit, only that they don't use Xe.

It's hard to root for a team that weasels around like that.

Quote Reply

Prev Next