Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B
Quote | Reply
Ok, fine. You have tested them and you are finding good things about the shoe. So now you have put the desire to try them in me. While I am finding minimalism to be a wonderful break from the questionable shoes currently being made I am now interested in going over the top. It will be a long while before I can fit them in my budget but I can't wait to see what they are like. Right when I find a cult it always gets yanked out from under me.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui wrote:

How about prevention? A lot of impact over many miles can cause cumulative damage that may suddenly creep up on us.

I really think that Dan is onto something. There are two elements to the new wave of running shoes. One is the neutral or low ramp angle which he discussed at length in his slowtwitch article. The other is the intentional lack of cushioning in order to have a "feel for the ground". It seems to me that the non-cushioned minimalist shoes are good for soft surfaces, but probably not a good idea for extensive runs on hard surfaces.

So if you're going to run on a hard surface like concrete, why not maximize the cushioning, while keeping a low ramp angle? They seem to be the ideal shoe for running downhill since they absorb so much shock.

Having said all that, I recently ordered a pair of Hoka One One Mafates from Gazelle Sports and I should have them by the end of the week. I'll report back when I try them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im still waiting for any rational argument for low ramp angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Man... remember 2011? Those were wacky times...
- Yeah! You remember those stupid running shoes with a 2-inch midsole, what were they called?
- Yoke one-one, I think...
- YEAH! That's right! Back in the day you were either running in the finger shoes, the barefoot craze, or the dumb pillow running shoes.
- Crazy times... what shoes are you running in now?
- DS Trainers XXIII, you?
- Saucony Fasttwitch17
- Yeah... Man, those were some crazy times...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
im still waiting for any rational argument for low ramp angle.

Is there a rational argument for the high ramp angle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui wrote:

Amen.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate progress?

Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12mm isnt high and yes there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking of getting a pair. Every once in a while I wonder what it would be like to be taller...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot asics 9610's
Paulo Sousa wrote:
- Man... remember 2011? Those were wacky times...
- Yeah! You remember those stupid running shoes with a 2-inch midsole, what were they called?
- Yoke one-one, I think...
- YEAH! That's right! Back in the day you were either running in the finger shoes, the barefoot craze, or the dumb pillow running shoes.
- Crazy times... what shoes are you running in now?
- DS Trainers XXIII, you?
- Saucony Fasttwitch17
- Yeah... Man, those were some crazy times...

Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
I've been thinking of getting a pair. Every once in a while I wonder what it would be like to be taller...

Anyone knows the ramp angle on these?

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah dude, if the asics ds racer goes back to the 7 with the lime green color well be set. the new bandito platform on the ds racer 8 is such a drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Khai wrote:

Anyone knows the ramp angle on these?

I prefer my platforms to have goldfish in them...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
78 degre

Quote | Reply
I have the bright yellow NB905's now they are the it along with m
Neon green canari wind breaker.

Quote | Reply
You just out-googled me! FTW!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally actually have no interest in even trying them, plus even casually I would not be caught in any of these shoes. But I guess I will running in Asics DS Trainers until they discontinue making them or run out of numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:

...or a baller

http://train4autism.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
12mm isnt high and yes there is.

What is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"im still waiting for any rational argument for low ramp angle."

i'll do my best.

there are a lot of crackpot arguments coming from the nouveau running experts. how you know the good stuff from the crapola, in my opinion, is when the arguments you hear are more or less the same as what's been known in running circles for a long time (as in generations). midfoot striking, with the strike occurring at a point roughly underneath (rather than in front of) the knee, is good technical running. the midfoot strikes, and almost intantly afterward the heel lands, depresses, and then the foot plantar flexes and you push off.

when the heel is overly tall, it interferes with this gait cycle. you never get a full extension of the calf/achilles complex. that's why spikes and aggressive racing flats don't have anything like a 10mm or 12mm ramp.

however, i still think that a 160 or 170 pounder, doing a lot of repetitive motion for hours on end on asphalt and concrete can really use the cushion. therefore, i'm not for getting rid of the heel, rather i'm for raising the forefoot.

google image the nike air mariah. that was a really nice racing flat from the 80s that had a lot of these features.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui wrote:
Why do you hate progress?

Weren't they the shoes in that episode of Seinfeld?
George knows shoes !s

Re: Damn you Empfield! Hoke One One Bondi B [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hooray for logic!

Now that I've gotten the sarcasm out of the way...as Dan has said, this isn't anything that we've radically discovered here. Good form running is the key to success. Looking at where that foot lands within the range of good form, coupled with the customer's preferences for road feel/cushioning/energy return etc., is just as determinative of shoe fit as determining the amount of pronation control proper for a specific person. This potential landing range will also be determinative of appropriate ramp angle/heel-toe offset/drop/whatever other term your neighborhood running store or shoe company is using.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
how you know the good stuff from the crapola, in my opinion, is when the arguments you hear are more or less the same as what's been known in running circles for a long time (as in generations). midfoot striking, with the strike occurring at a point roughly underneath (rather than in front of) the knee, is good technical running. the midfoot strikes, and almost intantly afterward the heel lands, depresses, and then the foot plantar flexes and you push off.

i still dont see how a midfoot strike is superior to heel striking. there is no proof that midfoot/forefoot striking/180 steps a min is faster or more economical than heel striking or less than 180 steps per min.

SeasonsChange wrote:
"interestingly, athletes appear to choose the stride length at which they are most economical- that is, at which their oxygen uptake is the least for that particular running speed (Cavanagh and Williams 1982). When forced to take either shorter or longer strides but to maintain the same running pace, they become less economical and require and increased oxygen uptake."

"With training distance runners increase the length of their strides and reduce their stride frequency (RC Nelson and Gregor 1976)."

-lore of running, noakes

while i dont agree with everything noakes says (central governer theory, hydration babbling), these quotes need to be repeated.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Mar 23, 11 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
google image the nike air mariah. that was a really nice racing flat from the 80s that had a lot of these features.
Quote:

based on what I see on the internet, Nike brought the Mariah back into production.
Quote Reply

Prev Next