Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Damn Age Group Worlds Swim MOVED back to the CRAPPY old swim course, mayhem to follow...
Quote | Reply
So I heard the rumor, well sounds like it's more than a rumor, that the age group nationals swim was moved back to the original venue at Queen's Beach in Waikiki and will again be a 2-loop swim. The swim course had been changed to an open water course about 400m down the coast which was a MUCH better swim course at Kaimana (aka San Succi) beach. The Kaimana swim was a lot better plan as it offered a nice WIDE start area which worked for beach or shallow water start. The swim goes out through a channel then does a big triangle before coming back in though the same channel (it's nice and wide and easy to marker with bouys) back to the beach. Because of the channel there are rarely any waves on on the course and if there are they are just rollers nothing breaking. There is a windsock marking the edge of the channel about 300M out from shore and we swim out to it and back every week. So do lots of recreational snorklers on vacation, casual swimmers, non-swimmers doggy paddling it out, and people on floaters. Hell I aquajog out to the windsock sometimes. This course was a one loop swim with lots of room for people to spread out and pass.

This was a GOOD course. But someone from NY wrote a letter (again non of this is substantiated) to the ITU claiming the swim was unsafe based on past events. These past events were the Waikiki Roughwater Swim that starts at the same beach and in 2003 had to have 600 people rescued because of bad currents and last month it was actually cancelled because of currents. The ITU heard this and axed the swim venue and kicked it back to the old location. Sounds like good reasoning right? WRONG.

The proposed course may start at the same location but the strong current doesn't start for a good 300m or so farther out than the worlds swim course would have reached. There are damn swimmers out there swimming this course in rashguards at a 5:00min per hundred pace every day! There was no current danger.

The Queens beach course is a potential disaster. It's a too loop swim for one which means that waves will be very spread out based on how they did the Honolulu Tri where they actually had to wait for each wave to finish before starting the next to avoid mass collision chaos. It's fricken narrow! The far corner of the swim has a coral shelf right around the corner so you better not swing wide! SHALLOW, I'm only 5'10" and I still hit the bottom even at high tide. I don't hit in many places but I do hit and it's freaky. You're swimming parallel to shore the whole way and although this area is slightly protected by a reef when it gets choppy it gets really nasty as you're gettting rolled constantly instead of breaking though the surf perpindicular as the kaimana location would have been like. They pulled this course off at the Honoulu Tri and luckily I was in the first wave but it was still pretty chaotic especially catching lap traffic... The Honolulu Tri only had 1,000 people imagine this course with 2,500 people. I know worlds has a reputation for being an all day even but if surf kicks up for later waves it's really going to be miserable and that coral shelf at the far turn is sketchy in a chop. I swam the course the afternoon before the ITU race at the Honolulu tri and it was choppy and damn near impossible to swim and I was near being sick halfway through one loop.

Anyways, I'm just bummed, really bummed that the swim has been changed back to the Queen's beach venue. I know we'll all make the best of it and have a great time but if the weather and surf picks up at all the swim is going to be nasty. From what I've heard this was not the race directors call, they still wanted the Kaimana location but were told by the ITU to change. If anyone knows different, or even better can tell me that I'm wrong and the course hasn't changed, please feel free to chime in. See everyone next week.

Tai
Last edited by: Tai: Sep 29, 05 3:13
Quote Reply
Re: Damn Age Group Worlds Swim MOVED back to the CRAPPY old swim course, mayhem to follow... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai,

On the usa tri website they show the first course for the tri and the second swim course for the aquathlon. Do you think the rumor might be for the aquathlon? FWIW I posted on the USA tri board-maybe they can confirm or deny.

Thanks for all the info.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Damn Age Group Worlds Swim MOVED back to the CRAPPY old swim course, mayhem to follow... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet it was someone who didn't even qualify, one of those "race kit pickup" qualifiers.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tai,

The website, honolulu2005.com now shows a 2 loop swim so I think your rumor is probably accurate.

Drag, do you think anything can be done still? I can't help but wonder how they'll know people do both loops. Do they have people run on the beach b/w loops?

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tai on the swim course. The upside is a shorter transition. Thinking positive. :)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Damn Age Group Worlds Swim MOVED back to the CRAPPY old swim course, mayhem to follow... [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just got back from Xterra Nationals in Tahoe. Well, all I can say is that at least the worlds swim here will be better than that one. We'd have to get a hurricane coming through to top Tahoe... Maybe I shouldn't say that.

No run between the loops. How they did it for the Honolulu Tri earlier this year was to start the following wave after the last person in the first wave hit the far corner on thier second lap. Or if you had one person waaaaaaaay off the back they would just start it anyways and we'd trample them. It's just a bummer as the waves start farther apart and this swim course is kinda sketchy as it can be really shallow and has a pretty tight turn. Also later in teh day as you're swimming parrallel to shore it can really be a washing machine. Hopefully it'll be calm. If it's calm it'll be fine, just watch out for the reef on your left (assuming a CW swim) right before the far corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems kind of nutty to have a tight swim course in the ocean but hey, it's triathlon and we'll deal with it.

Sorry the swim was bad @ Tahoe. How was the rest or your race?

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Damn Age Group Worlds Swim MOVED back to the CRAPPY old swim course, mayhem to follow... [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the swim isn't really in the open ocean, it's protected on all sides by a reef, jetty, rock wall, and finally beach. I'm sure it'll be lots of fun though.

god Tahoe was crazy. I guess the worst part was that I hate cold water, am not all that used to the wetsuit and it was crazy choppy. So after I decided not to drop out and stood on the beach a couple of minutes after the first lap just not wanting to get back into that water for lap 2 it started to get better. The first climb was a bastard and my glutes were literally frozen and the climb we had done on Fri easily and quickly turned into a granny gear fest with people passing in all directions. But finally I just told myself, enjoy and screw being too compeitive as it just was one of those off days. Had a decent ride and the course was simply gorgeous. It literally took my breath away seeing that I live at sea level and we were up at 8,500 ft or so;) And then it took away all feeling in my hands and feet as well. My Polar registered 48F at the top. Thank god I had full finger gloves but 48 degrees in a skimpy spandex race suit is still really really cold. Had a blast on the downhill which took me 20 min longer to get to than I expected, but it was worth it. Big ring baby all the way down! Although in hindsight, it was a bit stupid to go that fast... Figured I'm having a crappy day swim wise and bike wise so at the very least maybe I can have a good run. Hammered the run, and splitted a very nice time passing 30+ people and ending up finishing okay and having a great time. If I could just erase the terror of the swim and figure out what's up with my biking legs:) But Maui will be 10X better I'm sure, sea-level, no wetsuits, sunny, can't wait!
Quote Reply